I Had A Death. Long Read

H2oAngels

I had 3 blue Pinoy angels(quarter size) and a flying fox in my 20 gallon high tank. Yesterday around three I made a post suspecting that two of my angels may have been pairing. I knew they were to young but I wondered if it were possible. I very quickly eliminated that post after some input and further research. I decided to try a feeding, two of the three were angels. They happily swam to the front of the tank and awaited whatever I had for them. Angel #3 however stuck behind and just “rested”. Of course this was a red flag. I sat there and watched quite literally for hours (7-8 if I guessed).

It looked like she would eat small flakes but only if they floated right at her head. This of course was another red flag. The fish more or less just sat all day. I came into the room once and she had swam out and joined the other two in normal shenanigans for a very short time then immediately returned to isolation. At this point I knew nothing good was going on. I figured I’d give it a day and see if there were any improvements. She was dead when I got home from work today.

That particular fish was a step behind (size wise) from day one. She was also the only one I could tell apart from the others. I attached a photo to show here color and texture. I’m new to this so I’m not sure if that it is abnormal or not but her pear was very intense compared to the others. Stomach texture where the pearl really highlighted wasn’t consistent at all with the other two fish. She was seemed like a happy little fish fish for at least 7 days. Today is day 10 and she’s dead. I’m wondering if I missed any very small signs the past couple of days. So it seems as though this fish went from happy angel to dead with only a days worth of symptoms.

With that being said my flying fox is who was laid back and normal for 7 days has been glass surfing and extremely restless the past 48 or so hours. As of today I’m almost positive he’s given up on eating. I fear he to will be passing in coming days.

With all of this being said. I am a new aquarist currently in the midst of a fish-in cycle. The fish were in the tank for about 4 days before I became aware of what the nitrogen cycle actually was. I had been advised that my fish would be fine if added QuickStart and that it would put good bacteria into my tank making it instantly ready for fish! My fish had swim bladder issues starting day 2. Thankfully because it got me on the internet. I remedied the fish (brief fast and skin pea chunks after that all fish were back to normal 12-20 hours after the peas. One of the possible cause of swim bladder problems was water quality. Over and over water quality. My water was perfect temp, conditioned perfectly, crystal clear and had a ph product to hold my ph at 7 (7 is day 1 ph).

I quickly learned about the nitrogen cycle and realized my fish were in eminent danger at 11pm and did a blind (had no way to test ammonia with test strips) 25 percent water change which was the first one I ever did. I went straight to the store and got a master kit and prime after work the next day. My first water samples were day 4 on 3/19. The results were ph 6.8 Amm .35 - .40 ppm of course nitrites and nitrates 0. Since day for I have been an obsessed lunatic. I have 20 water samples from the past 6 days journaled. Since day 4 all I have been doing is dosing prime and changing water. (Approx 10 in 6 days (all of which 25% accept the last 2 which were 50%). My ammonia has never been over .5ppm. The vast majority of the time I have it pinned down trace - .3. After a work day it usually get to about .4 -.5 ppm. I water change before I shower after work every day.

My tap water showed .25 ppm ammonia straight from the faucet. (Another test coming shortly. My tank sits between 80-81 (promote BB growth will slowly decrease to 78-79 post cycle). My ph very slowly dropped for the first couple days but has remained stable at 6.6 for at least 4days. From what research I have done this environment turns a lot of the ammonia into ammonium this making high readings more tolerable (mine never exceeded .5ppm). And my tank has been properly dosed with prime for 6 out of 10 days.

With ALL of that being said the two remaining angels look incredible. They eat every I offer (brine shrimp, flakes, plankton) blood worms coming soon. I do very carefully feed to avoid access and of course my water change obsession takes care of the rest. They use the entire tank, greet me after I walk in the room. They’ve even packed on noticeable size In a mere 10 days. They seem to be thriving even though the conditions are less than ideal.

-Was my 3rd ange a runt?

- Was the initial rough start to much for her?

-Is my flying fox restless because of the conditions/lack of algae?

-Are my fish at more risk in the low ammonia environment than I’m aware?

I’m still very confident in my ability to get these remaining two angels through this cycle and have long happy lives. I would just like some input in case I’m missing something. Of course I would like to try to help my fox calm down and cope with this process a bit better (at least not die). Apologies for the extreme length and scatter brain style.

*** This is not the angels permanent home, 54 gallon has already been purchased. Just need to get these fish through this cycle so I can cycle that one without them in it. With any luck my remaining 3 fish will call it home.

bizaliz3

I had 3 blue Pinoy angels(quarter size) and a flying fox in my 20 gallon high tank. Yesterday around three I made a post suspecting that two of my angels may have been pairing. I knew they were to young but I wondered if it were possible. I very quickly eliminated that post after some input and further research. I decided to try a feeding, two of the three were angels. They happily swam to the front of the tank and awaited whatever I had for them. Angel #3 however stuck behind and just “rested”. Of course this was a red flag. I sat there and watched quite literally for hours (7-8 if I guessed).

It looked like she would eat small flakes but only if they floated right at her head. This of course was another red flag. The fish more or less just sat all day. I came into the room once and she had swam out and joined the other two in normal shenanigans for a very short time then immediately returned to isolation. At this point I knew nothing good was going on. I figured I’d give it a day and see if there were any improvements. She was dead when I got home from work today.

That particular fish was a step behind (size wise) from day one. She was also the only one I could tell apart from the others. I attached a photo to show here color and texture. I’m new to this so I’m not sure if that it is abnormal or not but her pear was very intense compared to the others. Stomach texture where the pearl really highlighted wasn’t consistent at all with the other two fish. She was seemed like a happy little fish fish for at least 7 days. Today is day 10 and she’s dead. I’m wondering if I missed any very small signs the past couple of days. So it seems as though this fish went from happy angel to dead with only a days worth of symptoms.

With that being said my flying fox is who was laid back and normal for 7 days has been glass surfing and extremely restless the past 48 or so hours. As of today I’m almost positive he’s given up on eating. I fear he to will be passing in coming days.

With all of this being said. I am a new aquarist currently in the midst of a fish-in cycle. The fish were in the tank for about 4 days before I became aware of what the nitrogen cycle actually was. I had been advised that my fish would be fine if added QuickStart and that it would put good bacteria into my tank making it instantly ready for fish! My fish had swim bladder issues starting day 2. Thankfully because it got me on the internet. I remedied the fish (brief fast and skin pea chunks after that all fish were back to normal 12-20 hours after the peas. One of the possible cause of swim bladder problems was water quality. Over and over water quality. My water was perfect temp, conditioned perfectly, crystal clear and had a ph product to hold my ph at 7 (7 is day 1 ph).

I quickly learned about the nitrogen cycle and realized my fish were in eminent danger at 11pm and did a blind (had no way to test ammonia with test strips) 25 percent water change which was the first one I ever did. I went straight to the store and got a master kit and prime after work the next day. My first water samples were day 4 on 3/19. The results were ph 6.8 Amm .35 - .40 ppm of course nitrites and nitrates 0. Since day for I have been an obsessed lunatic. I have 20 water samples from the past 6 days journaled. Since day 4 all I have been doing is dosing prime and changing water. (Approx 10 in 6 days (all of which 25% accept the last 2 which were 50%). My ammonia has never been over .5ppm. The vast majority of the time I have it pinned down trace - .3. After a work day it usually get to about .4 -.5 ppm. I water change before I shower after work every day.

My tap water showed .25 ppm ammonia straight from the faucet. (Another test coming shortly. My tank sits between 80-81 (promote BB growth will slowly decrease to 78-79 post cycle). My ph very slowly dropped for the first couple days but has remained stable at 6.6 for at least 4days. From what research I have done this environment turns a lot of the ammonia into ammonium this making high readings more tolerable (mine never exceeded .5ppm). And my tank has been properly dosed with prime for 6 out of 10 days.

With ALL of that being said the two remaining angels look incredible. They eat every I offer (brine shrimp, flakes, plankton) blood worms coming soon. I do very carefully feed to avoid access and of course my water change obsession takes care of the rest. They use the entire tank, greet me after I walk in the room. They’ve even packed on noticeable size In a mere 10 days. They seem to be thriving even though the conditions are less than ideal.

-Was my 3rd ange a runt?

- Was the initial rough start to much for her?

-Is my flying fox restless because of the conditions/lack of algae?

-Are my fish at more risk in the low ammonia environment than I’m aware?

I’m still very confident in my ability to get these remaining two angels through this cycle and have long happy lives. I would just like some input in case I’m missing something. Of course I would like to try to help my fox calm down and cope with this process a bit better (at least not die). Apologies for the extreme length and scatter brain style.

*** This is not the angels permanent home, 54 gallon has already been purchased. Just need to get these fish through this cycle so I can cycle that one without them in it. With any luck my remaining 3 fish will call it home.

There is no need to cycle two tanks for the angels...you should put them in the bigger tank now. Move all the water and the filter to the bigger tank and continue to cycle from there.

Three is a dangerous number for angels. One will often be singled out...just like your smaller one did.

I'm going to guess stress from an uncycled tank along with stress from the other angels is what killed her.

H2oAngels

Tank is about 2 weeks out but you’re absolutely correct. I kind of feel like an idiot all this reading and research and I didn’t even think to do that. For whatever reason I had it in my head that would restart the cycle completely. It might be a hiccup but it would just carry on in the big tank. In a world of instant gratification this is good news. Clearly waiting isn’t something I’m very good at. Lol thank you for that. I’m better than that trust me.

There is no need to cycle two tanks for the angels...you should put them in the bigger tank now. Move all the water and the filter to the bigger tank and continue to cycle from there.

Three is a dangerous number for angels. One will often be singled out...just like your smaller one did.

I'm going to guess stress from an uncycled tank along with stress from the other angels is what killed her.

I’m all over the place on here sorry! I added some photos to that post that I meant to add earlier. I had read that three could be rough just figured they were young, and they were the only three angels in the shop.

Attachments

• 3BD70F35-1BB8-40BE-83A7-BDEA1C7AFC7A.png
    3BD70F35-1BB8-40BE-83A7-BDEA1C7AFC7A.png
    486.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DB6287D2-2022-4250-8F80-6DD0BBCA2358.png
    DB6287D2-2022-4250-8F80-6DD0BBCA2358.png
    347.7 KB · Views: 74

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
H2oAngels
Replies