I guess I was wrong about my ADFs gender.

1. slashgash Member Member

So, I was lying in my bed today and heard a strange noise coming from my 10 gallon. I though it was something wrong with the filter so I got up to check. In the tank Beauregard was "hugging" beaufort. Then I realized the noise was the ADFs. I was so excited, but I guess I dont have all males after all. lol. I need to think of a new name for Beaufort.

2. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

That, or you've got a confused frog.

3. frogbreeder Well Known Member Member

Yes, you never know, your frogs might just be confused. It's possible you have all males. When two males hug, it usually doesn't last very long, however, and the frog on the receiving end will often make a loud and rapid "bzzt, bzzt, bzzt, bzzt!" noise to indicate his displeasure (whereas females do not and cannot vocalize). On the other hand, if they are hugging for hours at a time and appear to be enjoying it, well, then you likely do have at least one female (the frog on the bottom), and I guess you will need to consider a change of name. LOL. ADFs can be very difficult to sex when they are young. You should be able to determine their sex once they are about six months old, but sometimes they are sold when they are just a few months old, long before it's possible to visually determine their sex. Well, I guess you'll know soon enough, because if you have a female and the frogs are hugging, it's only a matter of time before you'll find eggs. Good luck. - frogbreeder