I Got my New Tank!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Jake the Fish, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Jake the Fish

Jake the Fish Valued Member Member

Hey guys,
    As you probably know I was getting a new tank. Well I got it on Monday. It's all set up and is currently being cycled. I've put some stuff from my 10 gallon to help speed it up. It's an Aqua One AR-850 with an aqua one 200 watt heater and crushed coral as the subtrate. I want to stock it with Cichlids, I have decided just to go with the Electric Yellows because my LFS doesn't stock Red finned cichlids. I want to put a pleco I saw at my LFS that is pitch black with white spots (not ich). I am not sure but my LFS has a catfish similar or that is a Featherfin Catfish. How many Electric Yellows could I put in the tank?

I plan on using slate or THR for the decorations since Cichlids like rocks to hide in. I will also get a terracotta pot or two for the catfish.

Thanks,
    Jake

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats on the new tank!

If I could make a suggestion.... would you please tell us Americans a little more about your tank so we know what size you are working with? Gallons or litres would help us a lot! Then again, I'm sure Nutter is around and knows exactly what you've got... lol!

3. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats on the new tank. How many Electric Yellows really depends on what sort of filtration you will have running. Just on thier own I would say 8-10 would be a good number but that would be the tank fully stocked. If you want to add in a catfish then you will need excellent filtration & perhaps twice weekly water changes to keep things under control.

Black catfish with white spots could be anything. Most common is the Peppermint Brisltenose. Looks like a normal BN except it's black with lots of small white spots & a white edge on the caudal fin (tail). Angelicus Synodontis are also often black with white spots. Featherfins can have a dark body with lighter spots but more often than not it's the other way around. (light body dark spots). I've never seen or heard of a pitch black featherfin with white spots anyway. If it looks similar to the Featherfin in shape it is probably Synodontis Angelicus.

Harpua - 165lt (43gal)

4. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey man, I'm a product of the American education system... cut me some slack! ROFL :p

5. Nutter

:;laughing Don't worry about it. I googled the Aqua-One AR 850 & got the 165lt then used the calculator down the bottom to get the gallons. I can't convert litres & cms into gallons & inches without one. We learn to cheat in the Aussie education system. :) I can convert cm & inches so long as it is in multiples of 6" (15cm).

6. midthought

midthought Well Known Member Member

I can convert with the help of Google. :) Or  .

7. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

Aqua One AR-850 is 160 litres, which is 40 odd gallons.

8. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

Sorry I meant pleco. Lol. It is black with small white spots.

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Congrats on the new tank Jake!
    Don't forget to update your aquarium profile information when you have the chance.

Best wishes for a speedy cycle! Please keep us posted.
    Ken

10. Nutter

99.9% chance the Pleco you have seen is one of these guys. It's a Peppermint Bristlenose. This is one of my ones at about 3". The spots fade away as they get bigger & more mature.

Attached Files:

11. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

Yeah thats it nutter, so how many cichlids?

I put some stuff in the new tank from my old tank to help speed up the cycle. I already have a nitrite and nitrate reading and ammonia is 0. :)

Nitrite-2ppm
    Nitrate-5ppm

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  12. yallyall1

yallyall1 Well Known Member Member

congrats! +1 nutter

13. Nutter

14. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

Thanks Nutter.

15. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

Also would a peppermint pleco survive with electric yellows?
    Any other tips would be appreciated.

16. Nutter

Yes a Peppermint will be fine with Electric Yellows as long as it has a hiding place, (piece of wood), & as long as you acclimate it properly to the water. Once it's settled in the tank treat it the same way as an ordinary BN. Peppermints do grow slower than normal BN's though. Just something to keep in mind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice