I got my first betta!

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'd like to introduce Grim to the group! He is maroon and blue mixed prety evenly. I'll get some photos as soon as I remember to bring my digital camera to work. He's an active little guy and is getting along well with my otto so far. My co-workers have commented on how active he is... one woman said how "i've never seen an active betta, they usually just sit there" I genlty pointed out the wonders of having a heater in the tank!

I have a question... when the light is on, the tank gets to about 82 degrees F. When the light is on, it drops to between 80 and 78 degrees over night. I can turn the heater up, but I was worried that it'd get too hot during the day when I had the light on. I was also thinking that this kind of mimicks nature where the sun comes out and warms everything up, and then it goes down and things cool off. What are ppl's thoughts on this? Should I turn the heater up or just leave it alone?

Thanks!
~J~

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congratulations. Spikey says hi to his new friend. I would probably say it's ok since that's what mine does a little, mine raises it about one or two degrees. just wondering what type of bubl do you have.

Austin

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats.
Tom

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
it's the 15 watt baulb that came with the tank

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
A big welcome to Grim. It sounds like he is very handsome. Congratulations!

CherryRose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is it one of those incadescent bulbs, because you can buy a fluescent replacement, better for the fish and for plants.

Austin

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Boy is he fiesty! lol, He's still getting used to being on my desk, and if I move something close to the tank, it scares him. He goes and hides, but when he realized what he did, he swims back out all puffed up like... "I meant to do that! You didn't think I was afraid, did you?" and glares at me. I didn't know fish could glare!!
Maybe he's mad that I named him after the grim reaper in the "Grim Adventures of Billy and Mady" ! But I work in a funeral home and couldn't resist!!! lol! I already love him to pieces!
~J~

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just a thought, none of those temperatures are out of limits for a betta so I would leave it alone. The only way he will need more is if one of the dreaded cool water problems shows up and with temperatures like that it is doubtful that would happen.

He sounds like a happy betta and he will get over being so spooked. He needs to get to know you and it will take longer since he is a "work" betta and not about humans all the time. He is also going to take longer to bond to you when he is around many people as opposed to a family. He will though. Just talk to him and you and perhaps one other person feed him. And what ever you do please discourage people from doing a lot of tapping on the tank. That should be reserved for letting him know NOT to do something. I do not know what there is about them, but for some reason when they are around a lot of people everyone want to "tap at them".

He sounds beautiful and we will anxiously await pictures. And Grim does sound appropriate. I am sure that he will not mind but I really do not think he realizes the significance.

Grim, please be welcome to the Betta community. Alexander, Marty and little Blaze want to send you a hearty welcome.

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
link to a good bulb if it's the incadescent type.

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, i've already had problems with ppl at work. I've had to hide the food, tell adults not to tap on the glass, and I bought a light timer, and told ppl not to tuch the switch or it would blow up!!! The light was getting turned on after I left and then left on all night! UgH! at least most of that was b4 i got Grim. For some reason, a co-worker took it upon herself to feed my otto fish flakes while I was home sick one day. I wrote a little note and taped it to the food that says, please don't feed my fish!!! on it, so if she finds it again, she won't mess with it.

I may be bringing Grim home if this stuff keeps up! I think i have everyone aware now that I don't want them 'helping' me. It's hard to be diplomatic when ppl are messing with the life of my fish. I guess on the other hand, everyone in the office is now learning proper betta care. Which is cool!

On the bright side of things, I work at least 50 hours most weeks and most of that is spent sitting at my desk so he will likely get more attention than if he were at home. Plus, I work with my dad, so if i'm not there, i have some one I trust who can throw him a few blood worms and a couple pellets.

pics. should be here tomorrow. How do I add them to a post?
~J~

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Under the Post Reply form to the left bottom corner is a triangle with "Additional Options" that you click on. A box will open up that says Browse. Click on the "Browse" and it will show your pictures and you pick the picture you want and "Open" it in the window that you chose it in. If you have not used a picture attachment file shrinking program to shrink the size of the photo (not actually the size but the pixels used) it may not be acceptable as there is a 400 KB limit for each picture. If you want to post more than one picture, you leave that first picture alone, don't press Browse a second time, but click on (more attachments) right behind the Browse button and another line with a new Browse button will open and you just do the whole thing over.

You cannot "Preview" the post with pictures. The pictures will not go into the preview. You just have to post. If they will not post they are probably too big. There is a free download of a program to shrink pictures posted by Mike on the forum.

Kerryve said it was just what she needed so I know it is free and it works. I hope this helps.

Rose

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Here are the pictures.. i hope this works as it is my first time posting pics!!!

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Nice pics, Timesdragonfly. Welcome, Grim!

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome Grim! Timesdragon you have a very beautiful and colorful Betta. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh he is GREAT!  I can see what you mean about loving him already.  He does look like he can let you know what he wants and has a way to change expression.  His color is very nice.  He is a fine looking betta and looks so healthy and happy.  I am sure you and he will enjoy each other.

You sound like a concerned and careful Betta mommy and I think he is very fortunate.

Grim, you mind your mommy.  She knows what she is doing and besides you were a very fortunate young man to have escaped the dreadful betta cups.  You have a lovely tank and will be happy I am sure.  You also have a lot of betta friends on the forum rooting for you and waving fins at you to welcome you.   

Rose

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
WOW!!! What an elegant Betta. Welcome, Grim.

CherryRose

AlfaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
In that picture your betta seems to look stressed. His gill plate is showing a horizontal stripe.

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
((Timesdragonfly))

Great pics of Grim! I got a lil $10 digital camera at Walgreens. Kinda hard to use the tiny viewfinder, heh. My pictures haven't been post worthy but yours are great! What camera did you use?

Grim is a beautiful Betta! Very healthy and smart looking

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Aes Sedai, I'm not sure what kind of camera it is, and I don't have it with me right now to check. My fiance's sister gave it to us, it's about five years old. I just used the setting designed for taking close ups of small critters and plants. The quality isn't the greatest b/c of having to make it a small enough file to post. But it dose the trick. btw, I love your nick name and i'm axiously awaiting the final book!

Alfa Betta, he may still be a little stressed, he's just settling in and he was from petsmart, so stressed from the conditions that he was in, stressed from being placed in a new home, stressed from mom pointing a camera at him and telling him to stay still! He's looking better every day, though and i have hopes that he'll overcome his rocky pet store start to life, and settle into his new home. He is eatting better every day and seems very active. thank you for your concern though.

And thanks to everyone for your kind words, i'm very proud of my little guy!

~J~

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a betta that has had a horizontal stripe across his gill plate for almost a year now and I do not believe it indicates that he has been stressed all the time. There are cases when they just are marked that way. However, it also can indicate that they are nervous. So do not be overly concerned if it doesn't go away as long as the water parameters are okay and he is eating well and swimming fine. If he is showing signs of distress or having signs of illness then worry but don't distress yourself if he is acting well after an initial getting adjusted period.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom