I got my Christmas present!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Akari_32, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I got it I got it I got it!!!!

My mommy got me a 55 for Christmas :D I knew she was getting me something along the lines of a big tank (I was hoping for a 75 but decent priced ones are hard to come by here and I don't think she knew that they are the same size, just wider lol), and she's been keeping me from her office and teasing me about what she was hiding in there D:

Soooooo, my HOPES are to bring in my 4 fancy goldfish from the 65 gallon pond, and put them, my Sailfin pleco, the Pearl Gourami, and maybe the younger single tailed goldfish from the 150 and the one in the 20 long till they are a big bigger. The fancy goldfish are 2-4 inches in the body, and the two single tailed ones I want to put in here for a bit are 2 and 3 inches in the body, so even with the amount of fish in the tank, it wouldn't be over crowded and unmanageable. But, we'll see :)

I'm hoping that mom will allow me to keep the 20 long and 10 gallon up. But I could rehome the fish in the 6 gallon (like I've been wanting to, but I can't seem to get rid of him), move the bettas from the 10 to the 6, and move split the fish in the 20 between the 10 and the 55. Come spring, some of them (and Molly, the new little common, the Endlers, and maybe the Least Killies even) can be moved to the ponds.

What I've got to work with:

55g
    -empty obviously

20 long
    -male king betta
    -female pearl gourami
    -female Molly
    -least killifish (7-ish, all female)
    -Endlers (7 ish, mixed sex)
    -clown pleco
    -sailfin pleco
    -2 swamp darters
    -1 panda cory
    (it's really not as bad as it looks lol)

10g
    -2 male bettas
    -2 adf

6g
    -1 male gold gourami
    (a rescue that I can't seem to get rid of...)

65g pond
    -4 fancy goldfish
    -Endlers (if the cold didn't kill them off the past few nights)

I'd like to hear your all's thoughts. If something happens that I can't keep up as many tanks as I'd like, I'll certainly let you know. Let's assume for now that I have the 55, 20 and 10 to work with.

2. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

Hello Akari congratulations on your new tank :) I'm not an expert at stocking I can't really offer much advise as I always ask my fellow fishlorians but I just wanted to say congratulations and of course Merry Christmas 2 more sleeps to go :)

3. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

New tank woooooooooooooooo! MTS at it's finest

4. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Thanks Magoo! I'm super excited :3

Moms thinking we will need to replace the hoods. If that's the case, I'll buy (or make) glass ones. I think I'll have to make it up as I go with the stockings, but I do like hearing others ideas lol

I for sure want the fancies, the pearl gourami and the sailfin pleco in there. I know that much lol

5. Magoo

I'm excited too I've got a 63 gallon sitting in a box I'm not allowed to mess lol.

I didn't realise you could put goldies with tropical fish? I will admit I know nothing about goldfish apart from when I was very young and had one in a bowl back then I didn't know any better I was very young and won him at a fair

6. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

That pretty much stocks a 55.

7. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

Goldies & tropicals is a debated topic I find. Although they can live at warmer temps they prefer colder I have heard that warmer water shortens the life span due to increasing the metabolic rate but I couldn't say for sure. My goldies lived happily at tropical temperatures (they are now in colder waters)

8. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I figure, they can either live in the 90s out side, or the 70s inside. That goes for the goldfish, mollies, Endlers and plecos who live in the ponds. Theres no other choice here in Florida. I don't even use a heater in my tanks until this time of year.

However, I won't put any fish that will pick on the goldfish in with them. No fin nippers with the fancies, mainly. The commons and comets are pretty much ok with anything, but the fancies are slow and bulky, and that makes them easy targets.

Cichlid, I figure since the fancies are still small, that gives me a bit of wiggle room for the time being. I won't put anything else that adds majorly to the bioload, but I might spread out the Endlers and bottom feeders.

9. C

yeah, you should be able to get both pleco's in there for now. As I'm very sure you know, Goldies are great poopers :D Endlers wont be adding much to bioload. I don't think you need to buy any fish to help stock the tank. You've got that covered :)

10. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

The clown I'll leave in another tank. He doesn't appreciate the sailfin much LOL

I may move my wild Molly in to the 55 and get him some girl friends (instead of the Endlers). The wild mollies stay about 1/2 the size of domestics, makes usually only reaching an inch and a half and female 2 to 3. Any excess can be moved back to the ponds over time, and sold to the lfs.

11. C

I've seen wild sailfin mollies almost twice the size of domestics. Do the goldies eat fry?

12. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

The ones down here aren't so large. Probably because it's warmer, so they don't need to be. My male has topped off 1 1/2 inches, but there are a few factors that could have caused that. I caught him before he was even sexable, he had a bit of a hard time adjusting to prepared foods, and it's also no longer growing season and he's out side. He could still grow come spring, I suppose lol He could also just be small lol

Oh yeah. Fry is good stuff. If they didn't eat the fry, I'd have 400 billion Endlers right about now :;laughing

13. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Playing around on AqAdvisor. Here the link.

If they actually had the type of Sailfin pleco i have, it wouldn't look quite so bad lol But considering the fish are all 4 inches and less right now, it's really not even bad at all, so I've not got much to worry about until later. I also want to make a sump with a 20 long, I think. I may just buy a second had one instead of using the one I have, that way I have it of I need it.

Also, I think I'd rather have the least killies in there, rather than the mollies. I need to get their population up, so I can sell them ;) The mollies are fine in the pond.

14. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Ooh, I have an idea!

Keep the 20 long up, ok? Divide 2 inch sections off, one at each end, and a betta for each one. In the middle, the king betta, the clown pleco, the ADFs, the killies, and then who ever is left Is divided between the 55 and the 20 long, and who ever can be, is kicked out side in the spring. I like this idea best, so far... :)

15. Magoo

Sounds good to me Akari :) have you started to set up your new tank yet?

16. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Nooo D: all I do is stupid work. I was wanting to take Tuesday and Thursday to do it this week, but then they asked me to work Thursday. Mom works all this week too, so I have no one to bring it home, either...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice