I Got Mad At My Flowerhorn.... Funny

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CaptainAquatics, Apr 24, 2019.

1. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Hi! As some of you know I have a flowerhorn named Bubbles in a 40 gallon breeder. He is one of my favorite fish (My BP is my favorite, bubbles is a close second though). Anyway he has been getting bigger over the months and is now 6-7 inches long (I would guess, I haven't checked with a ruler though). He is a short bodied flowerhorn which means even though he isn't super long in length, he has a lot of body bulk and has a large mouth with some pretty sharp, and big teeth. He is very friendly to me and will let me pet him, and will jump for food without struggle. He has a large lower jaw and has a pretty big overbite (I will post a photo of him later). Anyway enough of my rambling, let me explain what happened.

I went down to my fishroom yesterday to do my waterchanges and to check on the fish like ant good fish keeper. I was sitting in front of bubbles tank watching him when out of the blue I noticed something. Bubbles lives with two plecos, a albino bristle nose (the bigger one) and a dwarf flash pleco (the smaller one). Bubbles is a picky but yet not picky eater, he will eat almost anything I give him, however he only eats half of it (he isn't sick, he has done this since I got him), so there are commonly little chunks of food of the ground and I have to remove them about every week, so they dot build up. I was doing one of those cleaning yesterday and I noticed that in one of the plants had something in it. I looked closer and it looked like the head of the albino pleco! I got pretty upset at bubbles because it looked like bubbles ate him, I thought it was weird that bubbles didn't sustain injures because they have spines but I figured he is a big fish so he probably chewed him up first. It even looked like some of the plecos organs were still there. I figured if he ate the bigger pleco he would prob eat the smaller one (which I was watching swim around) so I started to try and catch the smaller pleco. I ended up having to move the decor and when I picked up one of the decorations, the albino pleco swam out, unharmed. I was startled at that but I guess what I thought was the dead pelco was a piece of krill and some of bubbles poop that made it look like his head and organs. I am happy the pleco was ok :)

Has anything like this happened to you guys? Let me know what you think :)

2. AJEFishlore VIPMember

Ha! Poor Bubbles, he got accused of a murder he didn’t do

3. AngelsAboveValued MemberMember

A few weeks ago I noticed one of my serpae tetras was missing. Perplexed, I checked the whole tank and couldn't find him anywhere. I saw no body or anything, so I checked the filter to see if he somehow got up in there. Nope. I decided to sit on it and wait. The fish had to be in there somewhere. Anyways, a couple weeks pass and I see no sign of the fish. I wonder how he died without my noticing or where the corpse is. Disheartened, I decide to deep clean the tank. I move absolutely EVERYTHING out of the tank, keeping an eye out for the red devil. Still, it's missing.
    Then a couple days later, I see the fish swimming around happily like nothing happened. Disbelieving my eyes, I check and count the fish again, thinking maybe on of the other tetras somehow has mimicked the missing fish (who I recognize as special because he is so bright compared to the others). Lo and behold, all the fish are accounted for. The missing fish is back!

I'm still not sure where the the thing was hiding all that time without appearing at the enticement of food or the deep cleaning of the tank. All I know is that he seemed to rise from the dead like some forlorn fish Messiah. I think I'll call him Houdini.

4. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

lol! This has happened to me, they do find places to hide that we just cant fathom. I am glad he is alive though :)

5. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Is it not common knowledge that all fish and inverts have wormhole technology? That's how they always vanish and come back when you think they died

6. Cherie GValued MemberMember

I am just so glad this had a happy ending!! :D

7. AJEFishlore VIPMember

I went like 2 months without seeing a swordtail I had in my pond, we drained the pond and poof he reappeared