I got Ick

Hazcop

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So after getting my tank cycled and up and running, I got Ick.  >   I have pulled the carbon out of the filter, and added the meds.  7 1/2 t. for a 75 gal. tank.  I have raised the temp. to 80 degrees.  When should I start seeing results.  It has been about a day, and I am planning a 25% waterchange for tonight.  Should I do the meds again, or skip the water change and give the meds more time to work? ???

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You didn't say what type of medication you are using. Usually I just follow the directions on the medication. Then run the full course of medication. The one I use says to use every other day until the Ick is gone, then do water changes and replace your carbon filter. Some fish are sensitive to the medications, and you have to use 1/2 strength. Be sure to follow directions and if you don't know if your fish need special care, be sure to ask for help. Good luck.

Hazcop

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I kind of was asking for help. :-[   I am using Jungle Ick Guard.  It says use every 24 hours until it clears up with a 25% water change before each dose.  I am doing that.  I was looking for a time frame when I should see improvement, or really start to worry.  I have already lost several fish.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I wasn't much help. Ick is always around. It has two places you have to address. One is on the fish, the other in the water. I believe the Jungle Ick Guard is more for the cycle in the water, and may not actually help the fish infected that much. The Medication I have found to be helpful for the infection on the fish is Mardel / Maracide. It sticks to the fish and kills it on the fish. This takes three or four treatments, however over a 6 or 7 day time frame. There are copper treatments for the water that are very effective in killing Ick, however all the above, like I said in my first post CAN be very hard if not fatal on some species of fish, so use caution, and don't use full strength on those. Hope this helps more. 8)

Fish in the Frozen North.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Back in the day, when I had my big oscar, he wold get ick now and then. i never figured where he got it, unless it was from feeder fish. Anyway, whenever he got it, it would usually take around 5-7 days to totally clear up. I don't know about smaller, more sensative fish, but maybe this will help give you a frame of reference.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ich can be treated by raising the water temps to 82-83F, frequent water changes and vacuums. Leave the temps up for 14 days. Ich can't live at those temps and theres less oxygen in warmer water so the more frequent water changes are necessary. The gravel vacs will clear out dead Ich cysts(no you won't be able to see them).
Ich is always present in tanks to a small degree but flares up when the fish are weakened for some reason such as being chilled.
Carol

Hazcop

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for the input.  The meds have killed off all my small fish.  :-[ (Even though I cut back the dose.  All my neon tetras, cardinal tetras, and guppies.  Almost 20 in total.)  I am going to get the kind of meds that stick to the fish since the remaining fish that weren't showing signs now have spots.  I will continue the water changes, and try to ride it out without losing any more fish.  I had also raised the water temp, and will keep that up as well. 

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm so sorry you lost fish Hang in there.
Carol

dsteamn

Reaction score
In addition to raising your water temp, you can also add a TBS of salt per gallon of water. Ich parasites cannot live under those conditions. Sometimes, you can just treat them with that. If you have one that is really infested, you can do salt dip baths. Mix up a gallon of tank water with 2 TBS of salt. Let the fish swim in it for up to 30 minutes once or twice a day. Watch for signs of stress and remove them immediately if they begin swimming or breathing differently.

It can be bad, but you can get past it. Keep working at it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom