I Got Hornwort I'm Excited.

1. Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

So I have a very small ammonia problem in my 50 gallon (it's at like 0.05ppm) but a huge HUGE ammonium problem. So I was told about hornwort and other "sponge" like fresh water plants. I called up my local fish store and they had lots of hornwort so I just went literally almost full force speeding to the store and picked some up because it was on sale. I was told hornwort not only can soak up ammonia and ammonium but does a lot of other stuff too for your tank. I mean my fish already love it and I'm hoping this helps finish the cycle but no one told me all the other stuff that hornwort does for your tank. Would some one fill me in here?

2. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOh Member Member

Sheds and makes a mess.

3. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

Debbie downer dude!!! I have no problem spending the time to clean my tank!

4. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

So I put this in on thursday or something and it was fine all weekend it's not loosing any needles definitely not shedding at all but its golden at the bottom but the tips are bright green and look like they are growing. Please tell me it's not dying. I'll add a picture dont get mixed up with the moneywort its healthy.

Attached Files:

5. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Mine does that too, I clip off browning stems and new ones will grow back green, also I flip it once a week because the bottom is never as green as the top.

6. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

See this is where I get nervous as a beginner doing this. All the gold like stems have bright fresh new green growth at the top of them. It's only slightly browning at the bottom when I turned it around. Its growing ......like really fast but I'm afraid to trim just because the bottom is golden green and the tips are sprouting

7. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Then it should be fine, let the green parts get a big bigger and then you can cut the gold off later, the green bushy new parts will establish themselves as a new plant if/when you decide to cut it.

8. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Hornwort is pretty hardy. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it grows pretty prolifically.

9. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

Just a quick question. I see a lot of tanks where people float their hornwort, mine is kinda weighted to the bottom. Its shedding and I did a trim on it but its bushy and green at the tips like its growing from where it looks like its dying. It has grown but should I take off the weight on it and let it float on top? I feel like it would be better off if it just floated and got more light

10. v

varmint Well Known Member Member

It sounds like it's lacking nutrients. If you let it float you need to dose ferts in the water column. If you leave it anchored in the bottom, then try putting in some root tabs. You bury those in the substrate within 2" of the plant. Hope this helps.

11. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

This is going to sound stupid......but what is a water column, do you mean my filter?

12. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Member Member

Water column just refers to the water in your tank. The space occupied by water; from the bottom to the water surface.

13. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

Gosh, I feel so slow....I thought it was some kind of tube I need in my tank. But thankfully I have a plant feeding liquid that is like a fertilizer that I put in my water twice a week.

14. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

I went out and got some more hornwort, I asked for one bunch I get home and start taking it apart the guy at my LFS gave me SIX bunches and I have to throw some out because it's taking over my entire 50 gallon tank.

15. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

yes let it float, cut off a dead parts and let it float lol

you could sell some here if you wanted instead of throwing away

16. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

...........I'm actually super poor right now, I was randomly gifted some money early for my birthday so I just picked up what I needed and uhm. I dont have enough money to ship out anything because I'm also helping my parents pay for my wedding next year and so is my fiance so we are like completely broke.

17. Ms rose

Just a suggestion, but please don't feel pressured, you can say like. Hornwort for sale CHEAP, just pay for shipping, and then when folks want it they send you money for shipping and you ship. But if it's to much work then heck with it. It's yours, so if the trash is where you need it to be, then that's where it goes haha. Hey congrats on the wedding! I too am goin threw a financial hardships, so I'm with you sister :)

18. Ms rose

Just curious, your the girl with the 55 gallon and ,,, fifteen ( my number one won't work, so I spelled I out lol) gallon right? You had a different picture at on point correct? Lol I ak because I watched your thread about both your tanks, and am wondering how it's going now

19. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

Yeah I have a 50 gallon and a 15 gallon. I'm the same girl and my tanks are excellent right now!

20. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Lauradesu Member Member

Well my fiance threw it out before I could get to it because it was literally choking out our tank