I Got Cories! And Made A Few Rookie Mistakes...

Kesh88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've added 5 cute little corydoras to my tank :) after reading this section of Fishlore I've realised I've made a couple of rookie mistakes...

I FORGOT TO QUARANTINE!!!

I can't believe I've made such silly mistake! I've only ever had one community tank with platies, guppies and white clouds mountain minnows. I got all the platies and guppie at he same store at the same time so never really had to quarantine them, aside from not adding my existing WCMM to the tank a few weeks after getting the platies and guppies. My WCMM spend late spring to late autumn outside in my water garden.

I mainly keep bettas and as there is only one fish in each tank I've never had to quarantine. I only realised my mistake after reading through this site :-(

Should I take the cories out of the tank with the WCMM now? I can quickly set up a large plastic tub with a cycled sponge filter and fake plants if I need to.

I've also mixed types of cories, I have 2 albino, 2 peppered and 1 bronze. So far the same types don't seem to group together any more than they group with the others. In the store all 3 types were mixed together (literally ddozens in one tank) will they be happy together?

Lastly I don't have any sand in my tank for them, just smooth gravel. I would like at add a patch of sand, or maybe have half sand half gravel in the tank. I've never used sand before so not sure what to get?

20180513_101725.jpg

Attachments

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Based on your post, here's what I think. Even though the tank is a little small for Cory cats, I would be more concerned with the temperature. 22C might be low end for Cories and great for WCM, but I would suggest raising the temp at least 4C. The WCM can adapt and the Cories will thank you for it. It is not the ideal situation, but because this is an existing setup, that is what I would recommend. If you decide to change your setup, you can always check with us as to feasibility. We're always glad to help.

Kesh88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I can always take the fish back if they aren't going to be happy in my tank...

I was recommended cories as a bottom dwelling tank mate for the WCMM in another thread.

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Personally, if the fish come from the same lfs, that I have dealt with for years, I do not QT new arrivals.

Kesh88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks. They do seem like a well kept and knowledgeable store. I've purchased a couple of lovely betta there, but they've only been open about 2 years. All the fish look lively and healthy as far as I can tell.

The guy at the store said my tank was just big enough for cories, and suggested 22-24°C as a happy medium for all the fish. He didn't mention quarantining though.

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kesh88 said:
I can always take the fish back if they aren't going to be happy in my tank...

I was recommended cories as a bottom dwelling tank mate for the WCMM in another thread.
Basically, you have 2 problems. The tank is too small and the temp is not compatible for the fish that you have. What I suggested before is a temp solution.

Kesh88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
varmint said:
Basically, you have 2 problems. The tank is too small and the temp is not compatible for the fish that you have. What I suggested before is a temp solution.
So what size tank do I need? Everything I've read on cories suggests 15-20 gallons minimum and my tank is 17 gallons. Wouldn't 26°C be a bit too hot for white clouds?

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The cories probably won't school together being different colours, sadly. They might just be getting used to the tank though.

Kesh88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think I'll just take them back, I've made too many mistakes here

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kesh88 said:
Wouldn't 26°C be a bit too hot for white clouds?
Not at all. My White Clouds are normally at that range or higher, and they do perfectly fine. I’ve had them for well over a year now.

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kesh88 said:
So what size tank do I need? Everything I've read on cories suggests 15-20 gallons minimum and my tank is 17 gallons. Wouldn't 26°C be a bit too hot for white clouds?
26C would be too hot for the WCM. As far as Cories are concerned, the smaller type, Pygmy, Panda could work in your size tank. Personally I would keep the existing tank for the WCM and get a 20g long for the Cories.

Kesh88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
varmint said:
26C would be too hot for the WCM. As far as Cories are concerned, the smaller type, Pygmy, Panda could work in your size tank. Personally I would keep the existing tank for the WCM and get a 20g long for the Cories.
Getting another tank isn't an option unfortunately. I don't really have the space and tanks that size cost over $200 here in Australia, even second hand!

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I hear you. In that case bring the temp up to 26C, but do it gradually, (2 degrees per hour), and hope for the best.

Kesh88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you so much for your replies. I don't want any of my fish to be uncomfortable so I think in this case my best option is to return the corydoras. 26°C is simply going to be too hot for the WCMM longterm, I've had them the longest so I think they take precedence.

Kesh88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I feel very silly and only have myself to blame for not doing enough research beyond reading a few care sheets that came up on the first couple of results in Google and talking to the fish store employee.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We’ve all done it, or at least a great majority of us have. Sometimes it works out and other times, it doesn’t. It’s ultimately your call what you want to do now.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I dont QT cories. Second, like mentioned above, your tank is too small. If you wanna keep the cories i would suggest upgrading to at least a 20 gallon

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom