I got breeding pair in my community tank

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by deeps21, Apr 15, 2010.

1. deeps21Valued MemberMember

Hi All,

Just 2 weeks back, one of my angel survived from 'major accident' (i posted it abt him in different thread). He recovered very quickly, also his partner took very good care of him to recover :)

I bought these three angels 2 months back , LFS told me they are 3 months old. Two formed pair very quickly. But till today i was thinking they are still babies and need few more months to breed. But today female has laid eggs on one of the fake plant leaves. Now I know now which is male and which is female :) but I don't know what to do with these eggs. Eggs are bit brownish colour at the moment. Being community tank i don't think there is any chance for fries in the tank. What is the chance of any survival in case I move this fake plant with eggs to other tank(need to buy), does it work that way?

Cheers

2. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

congrats!!!
    the parents will keep all the others away ...just leave some type of light on 24/7 so they dont eat them out of fear of predictors they cant see...and they may even eat them as they are so new at it ....or you can move the leaf but have a tank with prestine water , air stone, sponge filter/heater .the air stone needs to be near the eggs to keep the water movement around them so they dont get fungus..but you dont want to blow them around.....

3. deeps21Valued MemberMember

Thanks a lot for the advise.. Parents are taking good care of eggs and running away all other fish.. I turned light on again as per ur advise.. I think this time I'll leave eggs in the current tank only and let parents take care of them as I don't have other setup ready for it.. Lets see how it goes, i'll keep updating.. Cheers.

4. deeps21Valued MemberMember

All eggs are still brown after 18 hours and parents are taking extreme care of them.. My current tank temp is 79F.. Should I raise it or 79F is fine? Cheers

5. deeps21Valued MemberMember

Some updates - Now after more than 24 hrs, only 7-8 eggs are turned white, rest are still brownish... Does it mean rest eggs are properly hatched by male angel? What temp should I set for this tank (current is 79F)?

6. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

sounds like things are going well :)
    79 is fine

7. deeps21Valued MemberMember

Bad news - Before sleeping yesterday night, most of eggs were still good (max 20 eggs turned white out of say 120-150), I woke this morning, only 1/3 of eggs were remaining, Male Angel was eating only white eggs, he was very particular not to eat good eggs... then I saw female angel was eating all the remaining good eggs... So now all eggs are gone :( Is it common for female to eat her hatched eggs?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  8. deeps21Valued MemberMember

Hi All,

My paired angels laid eggs 3 times since my 1st post above.. But every time, female angel suddenly ate all the eggs on 2nd or 3rd day after laying eggs.. Why does it happen? Is it just bcoz they are very young n immature pair? If I separate the eggs in different tank, will it work?

Cheers,
    deeps

9. Nick GWell Known MemberMember

Hi deeps, It sometimes takes young Cichlids a few attempts before they manage a successful spawn so it might just be a case of being patient with them. Another possibility is that you actually have 2 females. 2 girls will sometimes pair up and lay eggs, going through all the motions but obviously with no end result!

10. deeps21Valued MemberMember

Thanks for reply.. I don't think they both are female.. I can see breeding tube in female and male thing in other angel when they lay eggs, i might be wrong abt male though.. Is thr any way to know if they both are female? I also saw lip locking behavior in these 2 angels few weeks back, can it happen in 2 females also? Cheers

11. Nick GWell Known MemberMember

Would it be possible to get a few pics of them? Shawnie is pretty good at sexing Angels

12. deeps21Valued MemberMember

Okay, I'll post it soon.. Thanks..

13. joshua 74Valued MemberMember

iv been looking at your posts it sounds so fun and exiting cannot wait till it all works.

14. deeps21Valued MemberMember

Finally on their 5th attempt, its now successful.. Eggs laid 5 days back, yesterday they moved eggs to other location, eggs are now hatched and I can see tails came out :) So definitely got breeding pair of angels, I'm so happy :) Parents taking very good care and not allowing anyone close to babies, but being community tank I don' think there will be any survival and all will get eaten once they start swimming, Is there anything I can do to save them? When is the best time to separate them from parents (I got one 40L spare tank)? I'm still keeping tank lights ON at night, is it ok the turn it OFF at night now or shud I still keep in on for few more days? Thanks

15. ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

That all sounds so interesting. I can't offer any advice, as I only have 1 angel. Just wanted to give input! Keep us updated. Good luck.

16. vict0rValued MemberMember

goodluck id love to see some baby angels!

17. deeps21Valued MemberMember

Is it ok to feed them frozen baby brine shrimp? Now eyes has become very prominent and they have started small jumps on their current platform, so i think within 1-2 days they will start swimming.. When is the best time to separate them from parents? I need to keep food ready for them so desperately need expert advise.. Cheers..

18. JeffcameronValued MemberMember

19. deeps21Valued MemberMember

Just an updates - 2 days back I have put all the babies in the breeding net in the same tank, Mom n Dad are soo sad to loose babies, they r constantly hanging below the net n watching their babies in the net and also running away all the fish to the other corner of the tank, they even try to run ME away from the tank when I go close to net to feed fries, lol. All fries are now swimming happily in the net, I cannot count them as they are in hundreds... They are soooo tiny, head to tail just around 2mm... I'm feeding them frozen baby brine shrimp (giving them live food is not possible for me), not sure they like it or not.. I'm also going to give them high quality crushed fish food, I hope it works fine..

20. JeffcameronValued MemberMember

Great news. Good to hear things are working for you :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice