I got another package today!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
I'm having a good fish week! First an apisto from ZeeZ, and now a box from Rogue!

This is all I have now, and it's not a very good picture, but more pictures will definitely be forthcoming. It's the first time I've ever drip acclimated! It's probably a little slower than necessary, but that's okay, better safe than sorry.

Guess where my bucket came from ;D

I would say we could play a fun "guess the fish" game but I think I already spoiled the surprise in other threads

Attachments

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Oh, okay. That's no too different from here, though it usually isn't quite so early. (It's definitely snowed on Halloween before.) Sometime in September?

Also, for those who have drip acclimated, how do I know when I'm done? They're in a five gallon bucket.

kb9plc

Well Known
kinezumi89 said:
I would say we could play a fun "guess the fish" game but I think I already spoiled the surprise in other threads
Andddd if you hadn't spoiled it in other threads, I would say that would be an AWESOME 'guess that fish' picture LOL

llama roadkill

Well Known
Ohhhh, so you were the one who stole my apisto! I was gonna order one from him, but he said he just sold he last one. Now I know who....

chevyguy8893

Well Known
kinezumi89 said:
Also, for those who have drip acclimated, how do I know when I'm done? They're in a five gallon bucket.
I haven't done it yet since I'm still waiting to add fish. As suggested by nippybetta to me on here, drip acclimate till there is 3 times the original amount of water that was started with. Drops per second would be adjusted by the sensitivity of the fish to change.

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Tigress: Well, now is not late October, so... ;D

chevyguy: Yeah, it seems some people measure by amount of water added, and others measure by time passed. Maybe I'll do a combination of the two

llama roadkill: ;D

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
I don't but he's cute. Thanks! It's been about three hours, and there's probably three times as much water in there, but just be sure I turned up the flow rate and I'll wait until the bucket is fuller. Better safe than sorry!

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
They are!! They're so cool!!!! They're my first real schooling fish and seeing them swim around together is adorable!! I feel kinda bad though; I know they're schooling so tightly because they're scared, so I feel bad enjoying their fear. One of them keeps getting separated from the group and hiding in the corner until the group comes back, haha.

What do you guys think?? I love them, now I'm tempted to get a few more to have a larger group haha.

Attachments

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
I hope so! I'm assuming it's okay if one of them breaks from the group every so often? I know if a school ostracizes a member it can mean the fish is sick. Sometimes they all swim together, sometimes one of them will swim with the platies, or peck at a rock, etc.

Edit: Updated picture of the tank!

Edit edit: Sorry the bottom is so washed out! This is why I'm going to ask for a real camera for Christmas haha. Also, the water level isn't usually that low, but I took a bunch out in acclimating and I'm just waiting until water change day to fix it. It's above the heater, which is all that matters.

Edit edit edit: (At what point am I allowed to make two successive posts? ;D) They're so much more active and fast than platies! Also, I can say from a totally unbiased perspective (as I've never had schooling fish before): I TOTALLY see the whole "six fish minimum" thing. They swim around so close together, you can tell they feel more comfortable with each other.

Attachments

midnamoondog

Well Known
Very nice. I'm sorry but what kind of fish are they exactly? They are lovely and look like rainbows. I would love to get some like that.

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
I guess that means if I decide I want a couple more, it should be okay

Edit: midnamoondog, they're praecox rainbows, or dwarf neon rainbows. Sorry, I never exactly said what they were!

midnamoondog

Well Known
Wow, soo pretty. I was thinking they would look lovely over dark substrate. Rogue, if you are ever selling these again I would gladly purchase some. I'll keep an eye out on the b/s/t boards.

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
I know, I have like actual fish now!! I keep staring at the tank, I'm so not used to there being activity.

Question for all your experienced members: Does this seem overstocked, for a 55 gallon with an Aquatop cf-400UV filter?

2 angels
6 praecox rainbows
6 platies
8 cories
1 BN pleco
1-2 bamboo shrimp
shrimp/snails

We'd like to add a GBR if possible, and I've also thought about maybe two more rainbows; they look like they'd appreciate a few more friends. I was thinking the tank would be full, but I think it's just because I'm used to the tank being empty.

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
kinezumi89 said:
I know, I have like actual fish now!! I keep staring at the tank, I'm so not used to there being activity.

Question for all your experienced members: Does this seem overstocked, for a 55 gallon with an Aquatop cf-400UV filter?

2 angels
6 praecox rainbows
6 platies
8 cories
1 BN pleco
1-2 bamboo shrimp
shrimp/snails

We'd like to add a GBR if possible, and I've also thought about maybe two more rainbows; they look like they'd appreciate a few more friends. I was thinking the tank would be full, but I think it's just because I'm used to the tank being empty.
I think that would look fine..then again I am not a stocking expert.

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
This would be my optimal stocking, but I think it's too much probably:

2 angels
1 GBR
6 platies
8-10 praecox
10-12 cories
1 BN pleco
2 Bamboo shrimp
shrimp/snails

Edit: Also, they sure were hungry! I normally wouldn't feed fish the day I get them, but the platies were begging for food. Basically the platies ate most of the food off the top, and the rainbows ate what sank. Hopefully they'll learn to go to the surface for food, otherwise the platies will get obese if I feed enough for the rainbows too. Maybe I'll soak the pellets for a bit so more of them sink right away. Apisto still didn't eat. I've seen him poke his head out, but he hasn't come out a ton. I wonder if he does't like the activity of the rainbows. Maybe he can share the 10 gallon with the two cories. One has been in for months with no problem, the other for a few weeks. I don't want to move the cories over, because I just added six rainbows and I'll be adding six cories and a bamboo shrimp in a few weeks. I think two cories and an apisto isn't too much for a 10 gallon, at least only temporarily.

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
kinezumi89 said:
This would be my optimal stocking, but I think it's too much probably:

2 angels
1 GBR
6 platies
8-10 praecox
10-12 cories
1 BN pleco
2 Bamboo shrimp
shrimp/snails
How attached are you to your platies? Nix them
8-10 cories
8 rainbows

and I think you would be fine with rest.

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Hmm not incredibly, but 1) I don't know who would take them (not Petsmart/Petco) and 2) then we'd have no warm colors in the tank. Which is funny, because I made a thread asking about blue fish, and then all I'd have would be blue fish!

AmazonPassion

Fishlore VIP
kinezumi89 said:
Hmm not incredibly, but 1) I don't know who would take them (not Petsmart/Petco) and 2) then we'd have no warm colors in the tank. Which is funny, because I made a thread asking about blue fish, and then all I'd have would be blue fish!
I don't like rehoming my fish so nix my idea...was taking a look at your tank and imagining.

How about keep the platies
2 angels
1 GBR
6 platies
8- praecox
9- cories
1 BN pleco
2 Bamboo shrimp
shrimp/snails

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
I would really like a couple more rainbows. I know six is always the minimum suggestion, but the group seems so small! Maybe I will get two more from Rogue if he has a few to spare. I'm not sure about the cories; that's a bit complicated. Basically the 8 I have are 2 greens and 6 pandas (will have them anyway). So really adding cories is a lose-lose situation. If I add more greens, I couldn't add enough to make a full school anyway. If I add more pandas, that isn't helping the greens; then I just have a huge school of pandas and two random greens. (Long story short I had rotten luck with LFS green cories, so I was going to get 2 greens and 4 pandas from Rogue's "source" so I'd have four of each, which would be an almost sufficient school of each. But she didn't have any greens and I don't have any stores to return fish to.)

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Update: Everyone is doing well I've noticed the females keep to themselves often and vice versa. The one female is still hiding in the corner frequently (like now, for example), but I'm keeping an eye on her. The rest are currently swimming in the filter current together.

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Me too, especially fish things! What with an apisto, a group of rainbows, some marimos, and all the components for a CO2 system, I'm having a good fish month Panda cories and bamboo shrimps in a couple weeks too, and a group of endlers

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Hahaha maybe a little bit $200 for the CO2 stuff, $10+shipping for the apisto, $30+$14+$13(shipping) for the rainbows and marimos, $24+$14+shipping for the cories and bamboo shrimps...mystery price for the endlers haha. Also getting some RCS with the endlers.

OP
kinezumi89

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Well you'll have to tell me sometime if you want money How about my eternal gratitude?

Donnerjay

Well Known
full tank shot anywhere in this post's future? That would be great to see all of the colors of your fish together in your tank.

New Threads