I got angelfishes today!

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I did but it's nothing exciting. All they do is hide behind the filter and heater. Not a whole lot of characteristics.

justhelping

Reaction score
Give them time Stardius. Angelfish can be shy when you first get them. They need to get used to your water & tank & other fish. They do prefer some plants in the tank to feel more secure. They do tend to be somewhat sensitive now a days, so consider yourself lucky if they survive your initial introduction into their new home.

Once they get settled in, their true personalities will come out & they will more than likely become one of your favorite fish. They will watch your every move & be the first ones to come to the front of the tank at feeding time, "wagging" their tails in anticipation of being fed. lol Later, with gentle movements & practice on your part, you may even be able to pet them. Have patience & with time you will be rewarded with fascinating fish, each with their own personality.

I wish you luck & much fun watching your new fish as they get used to their new surroundings!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Justhelping is right It's just the beginning and it's their new home. With time, they'll get used to it, and they'll never hide. I can personally assure you they'll develop very specific personalities What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH levels? What other fish (and how many) do you have in your tank? How large is the tank? Have you acclimatized the Angels properly? And how many Angels did you get?

OP
Stradius011

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah I spoke too soon. I bought 3. 2 of them were already paired up but one wasn't looking very well so I bought one extra. 2 of them looked like the wild ones and the one that didn't look too well was gold colored. The golden angelfish died today but the other ones started interacting with me yesterday. I have 1 red-tailed shark, 3 cories, 5 zebra danios, 1 bamboo shrimp, 2 platies, 2 angelfishes, 4 plants, 1 cave, 1 filter, 1 heater, and a few hundred gravel.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
First of all, let me say that your 29 gallon tank is overstocked with the Red Tail Shark. says about Red Tail Sharks:

"The Red Tailed Black Shark is a beautiful fish and can be kept in a large community tank if there is plenty of cover to hide in. This fish is too aggressive for beginners. Very closely related to the Rainbow Shark. An albino variety is also available. Hollows and hiding places are recommended. Only one Red Tailed Black Shark should be kept in each tank as they are intolerant of their own species."

I don't know if this fish is a good tankmate for Angelfish, but I am guessing it's not. Also, as indicated on this website, a minimum tank size for a Red Tail Shark is 55 gallons.

Do you know what your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate readings are?

New Threads