I got an awesome deal!

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So at my LFS, I talked to the guy about buying FM's from him about 2 months ago, He didn't get the new shipment until today. Right after school, I went to the Fish Store to find out a guy before me bought all the 1.5 inch Juvi FM's. The guy bought all 24 and I was very disappointed.. (They were $5 each too, that guy was ballin!) Anyway, there were only the 3.5-4Inchers left, and they were $10 each. The guy saw how disappointed I was so he offered me the 3.5-4 Inchers for $5 each!

I choose 4 and I know I have 1 Male for sure and the rest are fair game. I'll be sure to add pictures later on. All of them have very nice coloring(I assume they were wild caught)!

Ahhh I'm so happy

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congratulations. Sounds like a pretty good deal. There are not many wild caught fish in the aquarium trade & the ones that are wild caught you pay for. Yours have probably just come from good breeding stock. That doesn't matter though. A good coloured fish is a good coloured fish, no matter where it's from.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have all males.. The alpha male is chasing all the others away.. Time to go back and trade!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
congrats on the new fish!!
firemouths will chase and it doesnt mean they are all males...did you vent the others?(saw you vented one)

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What is venting and how do you know if you have a male or female? I'm curious about mine.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
congrats on the new fish!!
firemouths will chase and it doesnt mean they are all males...did you vent the others?(saw you vented one)
I saw them flaring at each other but when the biggest one flares, they all scram. I vented my T. Meeki, and his thingy(forgot the name LOL) is pretty long, though it was my first time.(I didnt see an anus pore) I'm returning the other 3 since they aren't Meeki's but they are Thor.'s. (Possibly all males too)

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What is venting and how do you know if you have a male or female? I'm curious about mine.
VENTING is a method used to sex fish that are.. (I forgot the word but its for fish that have males and females that look similar). On males, there should be 2 openings of the same size, and on females, there should be one big hole and one small hole.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
the others are what?
They are all Firemouths, but there are different kinds of FM's. I only have 1 Thorichthys Meeki out of the 4 I bought.. The other 3.. I'm not sure what they are but they are yellow instead of grey like a T. Meeki.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is only one FM, Thorichthys Meeki, there are other Thorichthys species but they are not really Firemouths. There is Thorichthys Affinis which one of the commons names is Yellow Meeki (good example of why I hate common names it has its own species name and yet we call it a Meeki go figure) The throat of Affinis is an orange/yellow color which explains the common name, although pretty acuarte I still don't like it. Not as much blue in them when young like Meeki and like I said the throat isnt the bright red and their body is fairly pail until they get some size.

Another that has a yellow tinge to it is Thorichthys Maculipinnis but they have some nice spots to them that is usually easy enough to pick out.

Thorichthys Pasionis has a yellow base color to the body and throat. They are harder to come by and I highly doubt they would be mixed in a shippment of Meeki, possible I guess though. They are normally about 4-5x's the price of Meeki when I see them. These along with the Affinis aren't around often and if that is what you have I would hang on to them.

Don't jump to a conclusion they are all males you never know.

Also sometimes today fish aren't the best coloring and if one male is colored up sometimes the others will not color and the red will appear orange/yellow. Any pics of the others?

Brian

Bent72

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Give them some time it took my breeding pair over a year before they decided to pair off be patient... although just because you have a male and female nothing in nature is guaranteed

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Give them some time it took my breeding pair over a year before they decided to pair off be patient... although just because you have a male and female nothing in nature is guaranteed
I know it takes time. It took my convicts 2 months to spawn and it seemed like an eternity. Right now, I'm not really concerned on the sex but more on the Correct fish. Out of the 4 fish I bought, 1 was a T. Meeki and the others were Yellow Meeki.. I don't like yellow Meeki

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom