I got a Yellow Tang today

1. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

So I had to go to Petco to pick up few things and had a coupon for 20% off a single saltwater fish and $5 in rewards points so I ended up picking up a Yellow Tang for $29.15 :;banaman:;banaman:;banaman:;banaman

Heres a pic of him accimilating I will get a few more once he settles into the tank gotta think of a name now LoL

IMG_20140730_203610.jpg

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

My favorite fish from my SW days. Love them.

3. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

Yeah it was a tough decision they had some amazing huge dinner plate sized carpet anenomies there too it was so hard to not just get him and one of those. LoL

4. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

No wayyyy - that's so awesome krazyone!!! As you now know they are a MUST have in a SW tank. Congrats. Keep an eye out for marine ich with them though.

*mine is named yellow submarine :). go figure?
    YT.jpg

*this is a newer pic of my guy.

5. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

Yeah I have been reading up on them for a while now so was aware of the ICH chances. I am lucky to have a Petco thats a Aquatics Superstore with someone who has had saltwater tanks for 15 years that runs the fish section. LoL So he didn't say anything when I pulled up a 5 gallon bucket of kitty litter and sat in front of the tank watching the five they had for a hour before I picked him cause he was the most active and brightest colored yellow one. LoL they had a amazingly colored Sailfin Tang to for $30 to bad they need a 180g tank at least. LoL

6. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

I enlarged the pic of your guy and he seems nice and thick - not emaciated like many of the ones I see. Good job.

7. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

Thanks He already grazing on the green hair algae on the back of the rocks and he's put the damsels who normally run the tank in check. LoL I'm thinking of naming him Scar he has what looks to be a slash mark shaped scar under his left eye. I'll try to get a pic of it when he becomes more social.

8. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

I haven't decided the exact stocking for my 180g when set up yet except for a Dog Faced Puffer and A Snow Flake Eel with some fish I already have. Would really like a Purple Tang though :). What do you think?

9. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

In a tank that big you gotta have one LoL If my tank was bigger I would have gotten the Sailfin tang whats scarey is I have a friend who keeps telling me I need to upgrade the reef to a bigger tank already she keeps talking about finding a 125g or bigger on Craigslist. LoL

10. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

I don't even have mine drilled yet, this weekend I guess. I'm already overstocking in my head with thoughts that a Humu Picasso Trigger is a must have for the tank. I do know that my Wartskin Angler and one of my Lions have to go in it 'cause their getting big enough to try to eat my Dragonets which CANT happen!!! Keep an eye out for a really good deal on a larger tank, you don't have to set it up any time soon but just have it ready?

11. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

Humu Picasso Trigger are awesome looking fish heard they were really aggressive towards other triggers and some tangs though. Lionfish are sweet too I was looking at a dwarf lionfish not to long ago.

Loving Scar already he's got half the back of one of the rocks cleared of hair algae already. LoL

Now off to Craigslist to see if I can find some more base rock/live rock cheap. LoL

12. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Extra rock is almost always a good thing and IMO would be great for your tank overall but may require another powerhead maybe? Yeah, expensive hobby :(! I tend to see more tanks for sale during the summer months, people are out and about more. For my new tank it's going (going to take my time with) to be an aggressive tank and I'm sure there will be some trouble along the way but I'll keep a close eye and have my QT set up in case I need to get someone outa-there REAL quick. Glad to hear Scar is doing well and keep him really well fed - ttyl.

13. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

I have more power heads that's not a problem bought a lot of 6 hydor 4's for $50 1200GPH each LoL. I think I am good flow wise for the moment between the two hydor 4's in the DT and the skimmer pump and my return pump I have 3800 GPH turnover which puts me at 50x a hour turnover. LoL With one of the 4's on each end of the tank I can get a 1-2 inch wave going back and forth on top the DT and the corals love it. LoL