I got a problem with my Male Silver Molly..

AquaSean
So 3 days ago I got him and acclimated him and all that stuff.. until I realized that there was an issue.. Is it okay for a Male Silver Molly to always stay at the bottom of the tank breathing heavily and basically eating brown algae? (Which I know about the algae..

This is the photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 78
ArtFish
Hmm, I haven’t had good luck with Molly’s and guppies (they usually die within the first week)
If he stays like that then we can assume it’s stress or some condition from previous living condition.
Your fish looks sick/ stressed to me, are your other fish acting this way or just him (the new one).
I would recommend to add aquarium salt to ease stress but not sure what the exact reason he’s acting this way is.

biscuit
I had a silver molly for about 4 years and he didn't act like that, if it helps.

bwer2
He’s extremely skinny

AquaSean
Hmm, I haven’t had good luck with Molly’s and guppies (they usually die within the first week)
If he stays like that then we can assume it’s stress or some condition from previous living condition.
Your fish looks sick/ stressed to me, are your other fish acting this way or just him (the new one).
I would recommend to add aquarium salt to ease stress but not sure what the exact reason he’s acting this way is.
Umm, No. All the fish are fine. I used to have Neon Tetras with him.. But they suddenly died that night after I did a water change. About 50%. I assume that he was bullying the neons, or stressing them out because whenever the neons get close to him he scares them away then chases them around the tank for a minute or so. But after the neons died, He became like that, heavily breathing, not interested in food, and now, he’s just staying in corners and avoiding the other fish. ( which the other fish are fine )

He’s extremely skinny
I know. He doesn’t want to eat.. I don’t know what to do.. I can’t just sit there and watch him die.

I had a silver molly for about 4 years and he didn't act like that, if it helps.
Is he supposed to always be swimming on the bottom of the tank? Or swimming like a normal fish would do. For example like a betta swimming around top to bottom.

Okay so, I might’ve just fixed the problem. After I posted this thread, I added him into his own tank which is a 10 gallon but it’s split into 5s. So I added him in there and just watched him until now and it seems like he’s doing fine. But I still have a question, why is he still in the bottom of the tank? He’s swimming like a normal fish would do but he stays at the bottom. From time to time instead of feeding him, Sometimes i check on him and he seems to be eating brown algae. It’s pretty amazing just watching him swimming around then picks a spot and starts sucking on the wall that is full of brown algae on the bottom.. Still super skinny tho but I can fix that.

biscuit
Okay so, I might’ve just fixed the problem. After I posted this thread, I added him into his own tank which is a 10 gallon but it’s split into 5s. So I added him in there and just watched him until now and it seems like he’s doing fine. But I still have a question, why is he still in the bottom of the tank? He’s swimming like a normal fish would do but he stays at the bottom. From time to time instead of feeding him, Sometimes i check on him and he seems to be eating brown algae. It’s pretty amazing just watching him swimming around then picks a spot and starts sucking on the wall that is full of brown algae on the bottom.. Still super skinny tho but I can fix that.

I'm glad he seems to be getting better!! Mine stayed around the middle to top region most of the time I think, but since you just moved him he might just need a little time to adjust. It could also be lowered energy since he wasn't eating.

AquaSean
I'm glad he seems to be getting better!! Mine stayed around the middle to top region most of the time I think, but since you just moved him he might just need a little time to adjust. It could also be lowered energy since he wasn't eating.
Well, I am pretty happy but, I’m still concerned on why he’s staying at the bottom of the tank. I did my research but when I research on why he stays at the bottom, it’s all about A bloated fish, Dying, Old age, But he seems to be a youngster but I just don’t get it. What did you do to make him go to the top of the tank for feeding time? Forgot to mention that it was a pain in the ### to feed him because I often put my fingers in there to feed him because he never ever goes up. And sometimes I put it where the filter is so the food will go down with the stream of water coming from the filter.

biscuit
Well, I am pretty happy but, I’m still concerned on why he’s staying at the bottom of the tank. I did my research but when I research on why he stays at the bottom, it’s all about A bloated fish, Dying, Old age, But he seems to be a youngster but I just don’t get it. What did you do to make him go to the top of the tank for feeding time? Forgot to mention that it was a pain in the ### to feed him because I often put my fingers in there to feed him because he never ever goes up. And sometimes I put it where the filter is so the food will go down with the stream of water coming from the filter.

All of my fish have always followed my hands/finger around, so I would just draw a line from him to the top of the tank. Sorry I can't be more helpful on that one! I like getting very active, curious fish and they seem to usually do that.

AquaSean
All of my fish have always followed my hands/finger around, so I would just draw a line from him to the top of the tank. Sorry I can't be more helpful on that one! I like getting very active, curious fish and they seem to usually do that.
Alright, thanks for the help! I’ll send more messages if anything has changed in his behaviour. I would like to see him with my oldest betta almost a year now and he is the nicest betta ever!

trinity28
There is definitely an issue - he does not look good at all. What exactly are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Even if all of your other fish are fine, there could still be an issue with water quality. Did he look like that when you purchased him? Skinny and with fins clamped? Or has he just now become like this?

AquaSean
There is definitely an issue - he does not look good at all. What exactly are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Even if all of your other fish are fine, there could still be an issue with water quality. Did he look like that when you purchased him? Skinny and with fins clamped? Or has he just now become like this?
I think your abit late.. He’s doing fine now. He’s in his own tank and he’s doing well, eating and swimming around will full colours and fins. Just one issue. Why is he always staying at the bottom of the tank?

But yes, He did look like that when I got him. I guess an ammonia poison?

trinity28
Just because you moved him and he’s fine now doesn’t mean you’ve resolved the issue. If he’s always at the bottom of the tank, there’s still a problem. Either the fish himself has an illness or injury or there is an issue with the tank that he was originally in.

AquaSean
Just because you moved him and he’s fine now doesn’t mean you’ve resolved the issue. If he’s always at the bottom of the tank, there’s still a problem. Either the fish himself has an illness or injury or there is an issue with the tank that he was originally in.
Well, He was with my betta But they were doing there own thing and staying away from each other, But I did have a problem between My neons and him. But here’s the story, When I acclimated him and all that, He started chasing the neons for almost a minute when my neon tetras got close. The next day, all the neons died with there bellies comepletely gone and destroyed, The next day after that, He started to stay at the corners of the tank and started heavy breathing. I also came across one of his fins. One of them were torn. Probably the cause of the neons. Maybe that night they were fighting and then all the neons died. He doesn’t have any injuries but a torn fin, but the torn fin was quickly healed by putting him into his own tank.

trinity28
What size is the tank and how many fish were in it? Mollies are not very aggressive fish, so it’s hard to believe he chased and killed the tetras unless they were all in a very confined space. Given that the tetras died too, there most certainly could be a problem with the tank specifically. Do you have a test kit you can use to test the water parameters? That information is would be really helpful. The tetras may have died from something like a water parameter issue and that could be why your Molly is struggling as well. Any other fish you have in the tank probably ate the dead fish after they died. Gross, I know, but it happens all the time.

AquaSean
What size is the tank and how many fish were in it? Mollies are not very aggressive fish, so it’s hard to believe he chased and killed the tetras unless they were all in a very confined space. Given that the tetras died too, there most certainly could be a problem with the tank specifically. Do you have a test kit you can use to test the water parameters? That information is would be really helpful. The tetras may have died from something like a water parameter issue and that could be why your Molly is struggling as well. Any other fish you have in the tank probably ate the dead fish after they died. Gross, I know, but it happens all the time.
Well, the néons are pretty much nippers. And my betta wouldn’t have never done that because they never actually seen each other at all but here:
(These are my water parameters.)

Ph - 7.5
Nitrate - 20
75-80 Fahrenheit
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0

He was in a 10 Gallon before but had to half it so that he can have his own.

I just did a water change 3 days ago but only did 20%. So I’m guessing that the Neons died due to rapid water changes and that the silver male molly got stressed due to the neon tetras fin nipping?

Forgot to mention that when I got him he was pooping green and he actually used to be at the top of the tank. But suddenly sank down and always stayed on the bottom.

trinity28
Could you list what size the tank is and how many/what kinds of fish are in it? The original tank? Was it a 10 Gallon?

AquaSean
Could you list what size the tank is and how many/what kinds of fish are in it? The original tank? Was it a 10 Gallon?
It was a 10 gallon. But splitted it.
Male vailtail betta - 1
Neon tetras - 3 (used to be 5 but the 2 died after a month when I got them)
Male silver molly - 1

There isn’t as many fish for him to be bothered..

AquaCaitlin
He‘s not looking real good. Starved, actually. You said he wasn’t eating?

10 gallon is too small for mollys and neon tetras...

AquaSean

I know. I was thinking of buying a 20, but since the neons died, I don’t know what to do at all. He is definitely starving. He’s doing good tho. That was him before I treated him. There’s actually only 1 molly.

Wait.. So your telling me when I got him from a petstore, (which I won’t say) Starved him to death?
Animal cruelty..

trinity28
Wait.. So your telling me when I got him from a petstore, (which I won’t say) Starved him to death?
Animal cruelty..
The pet store almost certainly didn’t starve him. He likely has some sort of illness that is causing him to not want to eat or not be able to.

AquaSean
The pet store almost certainly didn’t starve him. He likely has some sort of illness that is causing him to not want to eat or not be able to.
He is eating now, But I guess the pet store tried to feed him? But he didn’t want to eat?

AquaCaitlin
He might have had/still has some kind of internal parasites messing with his system.

I would upgrade to a 20, for the rest of your neons, because you will eventually have to get more as they need to school.

You said he’s eating now? Have you noticed any abnormal poo?

AquaSean
He might have had/still has some kind of internal parasites messing with his system.

I would upgrade to a 20, for the rest of your neons, because you will eventually have to get more as they need to school.

You said he’s eating now? Have you noticed any abnormal poo?
I have no neons left and no.. His behaviour is any other fish. He’s kinda like a neon where some neons usually stay at the bottom. I think the only issue is his hunger. I guess I have to feed him 3 times a day until he gets to go up and eat. Actually, the only abnormal thing is when I got him, his first day in his new tank he started to poo like crazy and the colour was green.

After his first day, the second day he ate the rest lf
My bettas food which was flakes that was in the stream that was from the filter going straight down. The third day he was pooping but it was the longest ever poop. And after that, the neons had died. But I don’t think there’s a parasite.

VeiltailKing
Colored poop is a good sign but the stringy poop isn’t. Based on the picture and his very starved look I’m going to say he likely has internal parasites. I have never had to treat this nor have I ever really looked into it so I will not be the one to give treatment advice.

AquaSean
Colored poop is a good sign but the stringy poop isn’t. Based on the picture and his very starved look I’m going to say he likely has internal parasites. I have never had to treat this nor have I ever really looked into it so I will not be the one to give treatment advice.
Hmm so how do you treat it? Since the corona virus is going on, Almost all of the pet stores are all pretty much ran out of supplies and I don’t think I can save this fish unless I have the right tools. But I have salt. I do not know if that would help at all!

Okay, so I just watched a video on what internal parasites are, and what they are doing. I might say that I don’t think it has a parasite since the fish is mostly just swimming like normal, it’s poop is brown sometimes green, and he’s farely active. But I might start to believe that he does have a parasite because he stays at the bottom of the tank. Before when I got him, He stayed at the top for a couple of minutes until he dropped. I even saw him staying at the top of the tank in the petstore when I got him.

Alright so, I got one medication for use which is epsom salt. I Probably got a box full of these.
I’ll probably go and see if he will get fat to the max first before I actually give him treatment.

AquaCaitlin
since he is sitting at the bottom it could also be a swim bladder disorder

AquaSean
Okay so I added Epsom salt into his tank and he started pooping like crazy. (Basically a laxative for fish) And I didn’t really notice any stringy poop. His poop was brown. After that, He lost his appetite and started to do his own thing. When I try to give him food, he tries to eat it but he spits it out and swims away..

Doesn’t epsom salt help with swim bladder disorder? He may just need to eat.. But I don’t know how to feed him exactly.

AquaCaitlin
Doesn’t epsom salt help with swim bladder disorder? He may just need to eat.. But I don’t know how to feed him exactly.
Have you tried live foods like white worms or bloodworms? Those can be hard to get so maybe something like frozen bloodworms?

AquaSean
Have you tried live foods like white worms or bloodworms? Those can be hard to get so maybe something like frozen bloodworms?
I have freeze dried bloodworms. I don’t know if he would like them. I’ll try. It’s pretty hard to get his attention.

AquaCaitlin
I have freeze dried bloodworms. I don’t know if he would like them. I’ll try. It’s pretty hard to get his attention.
Try wiggling it like a real worm. Honestly, if he doesn’t start eating soon I would consider putting him down. Sometimes it’s the best thing to do, and starving isn’t a really great way to go for a fish.

AquaSean
Try wiggling it like a real worm. Honestly, if he doesn’t start eating soon I would consider putting him down. Sometimes it’s the best thing to do, and starving isn’t a really great way to go for a fish.
I can’t really wiggle it like a worm because there’s a filter flowing. And he is pooping right now in the corner.

So what I’m doing right now is I got little tweezers and putting the freeze dried bloodworm and putting it inside the aquarium in his face but he can’t catch it because of the filter. He’s always hanging near the internal area. Where the water gets sucked in.

HES FINALLY EATING! so what I did was I had this Nutrafin Max for bettas and it had some freeze dried bloodworms. So I put it in his face and he ate it! I’m guessing the food that I gave him wasn’t really his favourite after I gave him the epsom salt bath.

The food that I’m suppose to give him is API Tropical Flakes. It’s good.. and I’m on a tight budget right now.

So what should I do now? Should i constantly feed him bloodworms until he gets to his size? I don’t really have much at all. he for some reason likes my bettas flakes instead of him own.

Attachments

• 2DE6F92B-A8DC-49A4-925C-D16FE588AEBA.jpeg
    2DE6F92B-A8DC-49A4-925C-D16FE588AEBA.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 58
AquaCaitlin
So what should I do now? Should i constantly feed him bloodworms until he gets to his size? I don’t really have much at all. he for some reason likes my bettas flakes instead of him own.
Don’t overfeed, but keep up a consistent feeding schedule. You can try to offer him the flakes again but if all he eats is the bloodworms then that’s what’ll be best to feed.

AquaSean
Don’t overfeed, but keep up a consistent feeding schedule. You can try to offer him the flakes again but if all he eats is the bloodworms then that’s what’ll be best to feed.
What if I ran out? Should I try the betta flakes and add a little of his flakes to trick him into eating? He might spit it out but I can try.

AquaCaitlin
What if I ran out? Should I try the betta flakes and add a little of his flakes to trick him into eating? He might spit it out but I can try.
That could work, I would try it

AquaSean
That could work, I would try it
Alright. Thank you so much for the help! I’ll send messages if anything has gone wrong or his behaviour.

So I got a technique. I should put the flakes where the filter is so it can go down and he would see it!

AquaCaitlin
So I got a technique. I should put the flakes where the filter is so it can go down and he would see it!
You could try it

AquaSean
You could try it
It’s working a lot! I’m feeding him my bettas flakes not his pelletes because the pelletes float. When should I stop giving him my bettas flakes? Is it bad?

You could try it
Mollies need vegetables. How do i feed him Vegetables if he doesn’t like his food. Forgot to mention that he doesn’t like his old food at all. He loves betta flakes but it’s not good for him since he needs vegetables.

You could try it
I think there’s another parasite in his fin. There’s 2 of them and it’s whites spots.

Attachments

• 5E2E4157-CE22-4BF8-A485-DC68CC2E579D.jpeg
    5E2E4157-CE22-4BF8-A485-DC68CC2E579D.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 51
AquaCaitlin
I think there’s another parasite in his fin. There’s 2 of them and it’s whites spots.
Usually betta flakes have veggies in them as well because they are omnivores.
How quickly do you notice the white spots spreading?

AquaSean
I just spotted them now. Just 2. I hope he doesn’t die and affect my betta! He’s the only one I got left if my molly passes away and I don’t want that to happen..

Does NutraFin Max Betta Flakes have veggies? I did not know that. I was planning to feed him tiny pieces of cucumber for him to fatten up. He really does not like the API Tropical Fish Flakes..

AquaCaitlin
Does NutraFin Max Betta Flakes have veggies? I did not know that. I was planning to feed him tiny pieces of cucumber for him to fatten up. He really does not like the API Tropical Fish Flakes..
I looked up the ingredients and it has seaweed, oatmeal, and grains, no it’s good for omnivores. If they spots start to spread quickly it may be ich.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
shiv234
Replies
Views
MomOfLiveBearers
Top Bottom