I got a package yesterday... :D

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I know he looks a bit concave. But I'm glad he's back to his old self again. You guys could be a little more encouraging Lol just kidding.

It took over four hours to fix up the new tank, so we didn't move him tonight. We'll do it tomorrow.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well you guys have been my Ernesto diary for this long, you can put up for a bit longer

We caught him!! And in the most unorthodox way haha. He was hanging out in the middle (lights still off) and my boyfriend tried to catch him to no avail. Long story short, we turned the lights on (hoping it would be less stressful with the lights off but he blends in too well) and removed a few rocks and both pieces of driftwood. One of the rocks has a fairly deep cup-like indentation to it and he was hiding in it. This must have been one of his hiding spots, since I couldn't see in there before because the driftwood blocked the view. I cupped my hand over it and my boyfriend slowly lifted the rock out of the tank so he was held in the little rock cup. We put it in the bucket (half full with tank water, ready for drip-acclimation) and he swam out. We took the rock out (there was already a cave decoration in there so he could hide) and started a very slow drip acclimation (hard to estimate, but maybe five drops per second).

Because I thought we were moving him yesterday, and I didn't want to lower the pH, I didn't turn the CO2 on (only for about an hour after we realized we didn't have time to move him). So the pH in the tank is about 7.5ish (bright blue on the low-pH test, and yellowish on the high pH test). The pH of his future home is only about 7.8! So not only is it not a very large jump, but it's higher too, which is an easier adjustment for fish to make. Phew!

I plan to acclimate the heck out of him. Very slow until the bucket is full, siphon out half, rinse and repeat. He has a cave to hide in and we put a piece of acrylic over the top to keep any errant dust or cat hairs out. I would put a plant in but I don't have anything that would sink.

Now I'm off to do a nice gravel vacuum under a rock we haven't moved in ages because it was a pain to move. Expect more updates!

kb9plc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yay! Glad you caught him. Let us know how he does in his new diggs!!

BTW, clear room in ur in box. Can't send u PMs.

Last edited:

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Glad you caught him and it wasn't too stressful for both you and Ernesto, well done

FridayGt

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well hopefully it wasn't too stressful and he'll take this time in solitude to reflect on what being a party pooper has gotten him... Lol

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
HAH he is in fishy time out

Phew, darn internet has been out. The bucket was about full so I tested the pH; it was very close but just shy of 7.8 so I took a pitcher out (not sure of the volume; either two quarts or a gallon) and am letting it fill up again.

Edit: Also, deleted some PMs! Sorry Cichlidnut, I'm expecting a PM from you too

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well he's all moved in! He turned dead-fish-white when I netted him out of the bucket and put him in the tank, but after only a few minutes he is swimming all over the tank, scoping out the joint. I'm sure he'll soon be acting like he owns the place. I've got some bloodworms thawing in Garlic Guard to offer him a bit later, hopefully he'll eat some.

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yay! Glad you caught him. Let us know how he dies in his new diggs!!

BTW, clear room in ur in box. Can't send u PMs.
Yikes! He'd better not die!

Well he's all moved in! He turned dead-fish-white when I netted him out of the bucket and put him in the tank, but after only a few minutes he is swimming all over the tank, scoping out the joint. I'm sure he'll soon be acting like he owns the place. I've got some bloodworms thawing in Garlic Guard to offer him a bit later, hopefully he'll eat some.
Yeah, it's amazing how quick they change colors, isn't it?

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

LOL I didn't even notice that the first time. No dying going on over here!

It is amazing! He'd be looking normal, then a platy would swim by and his stripe would suddenly become very bold. He was almost colorless when I moved him from the bucket! He's doing much better now though.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
OMG guess what!! (A lot of my posts start this way, don't they?) Ernesto was hiding behind the driftwood; since it's a nice area with low flow I decided to float some garlicy bloodworms down to him. Let me tell you, he snapped that stuff up! He gobbled up a piece before it even hit the sand, then sat nibbling on more. There was accidentally more in the baster than I thought, so it looks like a veritable mountain of bloodworms in the picture, and I guess it kind of is. Don't worry, I took most of it out, after I was sure he had a few bites.

Hooray!! But he can't eat bloodworms forever. I'll try flake tomorrow, though all I have is Top Fin flake.

Attachments

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
OMG guess what!! (A lot of my posts start this way, don't they?) Ernesto was hiding behind the driftwood; since it's a nice area with low flow I decided to float some garlicy bloodworms down to him. Let me tell you, he snapped that stuff up! He gobbled up a piece before it even hit the sand, then sat nibbling on more. There was accidentally more in the baster than I thought, so it looks like a veritable mountain of bloodworms in the picture, and I guess it kind of is. Don't worry, I took most of it out, after I was sure he had a few bites.

Hooray!! But he can't eat bloodworms forever. I'll try flake tomorrow, though all I have is Top Fin flake.
I'll try to give you a good amount of kens flakes in the package. Want any pellets?

That is a really neat picture! I like the tank. Looks like you worked hard to give him a good home.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aww thank you Cichlidnut, you're the best! Ernesto would love to try a few pellets as well.

It took four hours, with my boyfriend and I working the whole time, to get the old tank down and the new one up. I saw the anubias sitting on top of the driftwood in the bucket and a lightbulb went on, so I decided to tie it to the driftwood with some fishing line. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the roots take hold soon.

Hopefully he likes his new home! It made me happy to see him out and exploring right away; I was prepared for him to hide for a few days. I think he likes the fact that it's dimmer as well.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Alright, this roller coaster needs to come to an end!

I apologize for posting twice in a row but I would really really like some input. I cut the cubes into quarters, but I'm wondering if I need to cut them smaller. Ernesto is swimming around with a bloodworm hanging out of his mouth (see picture). It isn't lodged in there, because he'll suck it in then spit it half out again.

Questions:
1. Do I need to like mince the cubes? How small should I be cutting them?
2. Do you think he's just playing, or do you think he can't eat it? For all I know he's enjoying having food all to himself and he's savoring it.
3. At what point do I need to intervene? Of course at this point I'm just monitoring. I've had rainbows with food in their mouths and they eventually spit it back out. I also know that trying to pull it out would be incredibly stressful and to be honest I really don't want to to it; I'd feel terrible causing him so much anxiety. His fins are sticking up and his stripe is nice and pronounced, so he definitely doesn't seem near death at all.

I really hope I'm overreacting!

Attachments

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A lot of them were that size. I got the Hikari ones; maybe they have obese bloodworms? As long as he's capable of either spitting it out or swallowing it, that's fine with me. Maybe he half swallowed it, and can't spit it out? I think he should be able to swallow the rest of it though since I've seen him suck it in his mouth.

(Also, please disregard my last request in the PM I sent you...since you obviously already replied to this thread. )

kb9plc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

Sheez, sorry about that really bad typeO. Talk about bad typeO timing and type. *blush
I've since fixed it to what it should have been in the first place.
DOES! DOES!

I think that fast of a color change would entirly freak me out too!

So how did the bloodworm go? I second the 'maybe he was full'. He probably chowed down on them, loving eating in peace and quiet.... and just got a little over zealous hahaha
I'm getting the impression that he is a bit of a loner. LOL

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom