I got a package yesterday... :D

Discussion in 'kinezumi89' started by kinezumi89, Aug 19, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    Lookie lookie! He's so cute. I bought one of ZeeZ's last apistogramma trifasciatas awhile ago, and now that it's cooled off a bit, I asked him to ship him to me. He arrived well-packaged and the water wasn't warm at all. (It was only in the upper 70s, and he couldn't have been in the mailbox more than a few minutes.)

I decided to go with the "plop" method this time. I let him float for two hours to make sure the temperatures were the same, then gently netted him out and into the tank. My reasons were as follows:

1. His pH is almost identical to mine, so there wouldn't be a pH swing.
    2. I don't think drastic shifts in ammonia levels are bad, because if someone posts about the ammonia being high in their tank, no one says "do one water change a day," they say "get it down right away."
    3. The nitrates in the bag water would only be whatever nitrates were in his tank, since there obviously wouldn't be any bacteria in the bag, so I wouldn't have to worry about a nitrate shift.
    4. I've read about ammonium converting to ammonia once the bag is opened, and I didn't want him to be exposed to high levels of ammonia.

We left the lights off during acclimation and for awhile afterwards, and when they did come on, we covered half the tank with towels so it would be dark. He hid quite a bit but made some ventures out into the tank. He chases after the platies a bit; he isn't aggressive or nipping or anything, but he does swim a pace or two towards them now and then. He still hides much of the time, but he's definitely out more. Hopefully he'll feel comfortable soon and be more active.

Attached Files:

2. Dria

DriaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    Just started
    So cute! I love those little guys.

Mine charged a few of the other fish for about a day and after that settled right down. I think he was just trying to figure out who his new tankmates were. Now he's very peaceful and actually spends quite a bit of his time swimming about instead of hiding.

3. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    How long was it until yours stopped hiding as much?

4. Dria

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    Just started
    A couple of days. Looks like you're pretty well planted so I'm sure he'll come out and play as soon as he realizes the platies aren't going to eat him.

5. jwhorner6

jwhorner6Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Very nice. I love those fish. If I can convince my wife to let me put a 125 in our dining room it is going to be full of dwarf cichlids.

6. ZeeZ

ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +56
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Welcome to the Apisto Tri club!

7. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    Dria: Good to know! He's definitely been more active today, so hopefully that's a good sign. One of my platies is kind of aggressive towards the other ones, maybe he'll help keep her in check

JW: That would be awesome! I didn't know how "dwarf" dwarf cichlids actually are; I was surprised how small he was when I first opened the bag. A tank full of them would be neat.

ZeeZ: :;banaman

8. AlyeskaGirl

AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +256
    He's so cute!

9. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    Thanks Christine

10. Dria

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    Just started
    They are so small and cute! If I was going to breed fish it would definitely be these of a close relative. So much character.

11. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That is a pretty color fish. I've never had one but now I'm tempted.

You should make it your Avatar picture as well.

12. pirahnah3

pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hey I have one of his brothers or cousins or something lol they are great fish! Hope you enjoy him as much as I enjoy mine.

13. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    Lol I didn't know how extensive the club was! AP I definitely will, but I'm waiting to see if I can get a better picture. He's still pretty shy. I may use that first one I uploaded though; it's not blurry unless you make it bigger.

14. pirahnah3

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    Just started
    lol mine is still rather shy, he will sit there and pose in areas I just cant get a camera to lol I swear he knows where I can get a good shot cause he doesnt stop there for more than a second or two haha.

He is a ham thou just doesnt want to be shown off.

15. ZeeZ

ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +56
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    He'll be boss in no time.

Pic of the whole tank? Is this the 10g or the 55g?

16. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    Oops, how did I miss this! He's in the 55 for the time being. I'll get a picture up soon, I have bags of najas grass hanging in there temporarily. I didn't realize they stayed so small, so I think he'll most likely be in the 10 gallon as his permanent home, once there aren't cories quarantining in there. He'll look nice against the black background and sand, I think.

17. pirahnah3

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have mine in a 10 and he stays in the bottom 1/3 of the tank most of the time perferring to hang out in one of the pots or in the plants or under the driftwood. Im actually surprised that he doesnt get more boisterous in the tank with any of the other fish he just lays back and chills. Really cool fish, im actually looking at him sitting there in the dark just kinda resting in a sword plant lol.

18. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +549
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Can you put more than one in a 10g?

19. kb9plc

kb9plcWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    2 years
    omg i want to be part of this club
    so cute!

20. soarl

soarlValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    1 year
    I'm looking for compatible Apistogramma's for my tank. Something that can tolerate 74-75 F and won't eat my shrimps! I do kind of like yours. Basically it's a 20 long danio tank.

Anyway...congrats on your new fish!