I got a new friend today!!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As a few of you know, my halfmoon died the other day. I have no idea why; he was acting normal and showed no visible signs, and the water parameters were fine (0,0,5). Maybe he was older than I thought? Maybe bettas die from random things like people, like heart attacks? Can bettas have strokes? At any rate, because I didn't think I was dealing with a contagious pathogen and I didn't want to lose my cycle, I got a new betta today.

I planned to get a short-finned plakat, but figured I would get whichever fish tickled my fancy the most. There was a REALLY pretty green and white mottled one I saw (even his body was green and white!) but he looked like he had swim bladder problems as he couldn't stay horizontal. So I sadly walked away. BUT I went to a Petsmart that had a ton that I was torn between! A plakat with a blue body and red fins, a halfmoon with a green body and white fins, a pretty iridescent plakat whose scales shined different colors when he moved; there were so many pretty fish.

But I couldn't pass this guy up! It's funny how different they look in the store as compared to good lighting. I got him outside and said "holy COW he's even prettier than I thought!" I don't have a name yet, but I think he's purdy. I can't tell if his fin is supposed to look like that on the edge or he has a little bit of fin damage from being in the cup, but if so hopefully it'll heal up right quick (I put some Fish Protector in the water, of course). I like him a lot. He looks a little bluer in the picture than he really is; he's more green than that. I'll put up more pictures as I take them, but he's being a bit too uncooperative now.

I hope he likes his new home! (Though he'll be losing his four nerite friends when they move back to the 20 long.)

Attachments

AlexAlex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is - I used to think when I was a kid that all Bettas were females. They all look so feminine and delicate!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks guys He's been super active, zooming around the tank. I'm sure it's much better than his cup! When I had the four set aside that I was torn between, I felt bad narrowing them down and putting the cup back, like I was sending the fish to his doom or something. But I can't get them all, unfortunately...someday when I'm rich I'll have a betta room

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Very pretty...
I didn't know your half moon died
I'm so sorry

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He is lovely!

I know what you mean about looking them over and having to put them back. It's very hard.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your other betta.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks guys I fed him Thursday morning like normal but when I came home that night he had passed. Still no clue what it could have been.

When I move out I'd like to have a 20 long divided for three bettas, then at least I wouldn't have to narrow it down so much

(Random side note: a couple times now I've had to reload to reply because midnamoondog's avatar has been blocking the text box.. )

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I did! Did you decide on a name? I like Blue Moon..the name and the beer I still have to think of a name for mine. Something playing on the fact he's green I think.

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
So you can get pictures of a betta but not other things?! I see how it is.

I look forward to seeing how your new betta progresses

kb9plc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Awwww he is mighty purrrty!
The picture makes him look Blu green and purple. Kinda carnival colored.

Uh oh. See what happens when you post pictures? We want pics of EVERYTHING lol

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to hear about your half-moon.:console: The same thing happened to my first betta, Ippon. He lived for about three years and then suddenly passed. It just happens sometimes

nippybetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry to hear about your half-moon.:console: The same thing happened to my first betta, Ippon. He lived for about three years and then suddenly passed. It just happens sometimes
3 years is pretty old for a betta, especially if it came from a big box store. Still, it's sad. I hate losing my centerpiece fish, I always get attached to them.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Psh Cichlidnut I made a thread with pictures AND videos. I've only ever uploaded one other video before, so consider yourself special. The pictures aren't the best, but those darn endlers are too fast!

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey Kinezumi I didn't know you lost your half moon either so sorry to hear that.

But on a brighter note congratulations on your new boy he is gorgeous
If he was mine I would name him Gorbash after the green dragon in my favourite childhood film flight of dragons
Leprechaun could be a good name too lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom