I got a new filter and now my tank is cloudy (no fish cycling)

Jesse327

Hi there,

I have a 10 gallon tank which i am planning on making a betta tank, so i got a low flow filter the aqueon quietflow 10, now my water is super cloudy and almost opaque.

I bought this filter at the petstore near me and was wondering if I should exchange it for another better one or is there a fix.

I am cycling by just putting in fish flakes everyday to create ammonia and just read the ammonia as about 4ppm and 0 nitrates or nitrites and a ph on the higher 6s.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 19

LowConductivity

Odds are the cloudiness has nothing to do with the filter, and everything to do with a bloom of free floating bacteria. Happens to lots of folks, not much you can do about it other than let it run it’s course

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I agree. I have to think this perfectly normal for a cycling tank. The new filter didn't cause it. It is simply a bacterial bloom. I would change out half the water though. With this being a 10 gallon tank and the planned stocking is going to be a Betta there is no need to get the ammonia up this high. The water change should get it down to 2ppm. If there is a big buildup of food laying on the bottom you may want to siphon some of it out of there during the water change.

I wouldn't add anymore fish food until the ammonia starts going down. Once it does just add the fish food every third day. By doing so it should keep a steady supply of ammonia in there to keep the bacteria well fed.

Upvote 0

Jesse327

I agree. I have to think this perfectly normal for a cycling tank. The new filter didn't cause it. It is simply a bacterial bloom. I would change out half the water though. With this being a 10 gallon tank and the planned stocking is going to be a Betta there is no need to get the ammonia up this high. The water change should get it down to 2ppm. If there is a big buildup of food laying on the bottom you may want to siphon some of it out of there during the water change.

I wouldn't add anymore fish food until the ammonia starts going down. Once it does just add the fish food every third day. By doing so it should keep a steady supply of ammonia in there to keep the bacteria well fed.
Thanks so much, i read online that i had to keep it to at least 4 ppm so i was sticking in a lot of food, this helps a lot, thanks.

Upvote 0

Arfgab

I did a fish-flake no-fish cycle and similarly got a pretty decent bacterial bloom. Whoop, whoop I thought but it was still a few weeks before I got my cycle established as the beneficial bacteria you need are not these white cloudy guys.
3 months down I'm really struggling with algae and phosphate. It might worth having a really good hoover of the substrate at this point so that you don't have any residual debris to cause hassle later.

Attachments

• 20210412_230129.jpg
    20210412_230129.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

mattgirl

Thanks so much, i read online that i had to keep it to at least 4 ppm so i was sticking in a lot of food, this helps a lot, thanks.
While cycling a tank we are basically trying to mimic what is going to happen once fish are added. I recommend different amounts of ammonia for different size tanks. This is another of those one size doesn't fit all situations. If this was a huge tank the future bio-load will be much higher so we need to grow more bacteria than we need for a tank with one little fish. 2ppm is actually more than we actually need in this situation but isn't too much.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
DrogJustDrog
  • Question
Replies