I got a new betta today!!

kinezumi89

As a few of you know, my halfmoon died the other day. I have no idea why; he was acting normal and showed no visible signs, and the water parameters were fine (0,0,5). Maybe he was older than I thought? Maybe bettas die from random things like people, like heart attacks? Can bettas have strokes? At any rate, because I didn't think I was dealing with a contagious pathogen and I didn't want to lose my cycle, I got a new betta today.

I planned to get a short-finned plakat, but figured I would get whichever fish tickled my fancy the most. There was a REALLY pretty green and white mottled one I saw (even his body was green and white!) but he looked like he had swim bladder problems as he couldn't stay horizontal. So I sadly walked away. BUT I went to a Petsmart that had a ton that I was torn between! A plakat with a blue body and red fins, a halfmoon with a green body and white fins, a pretty iridescent plakat whose scales shined different colors when he moved; there were so many pretty fish.

But I couldn't pass this guy up! It's funny how different they look in the store as compared to good lighting. I got him outside and said "holy COW he's even prettier than I thought!" I don't have a name yet, but I think he's purdy. I can't tell if his fin is supposed to look like that on the edge or he has a little bit of fin damage from being in the cup, but if so hopefully it'll heal up right quick (I put some Fish Protector in the water, of course). I like him a lot. He looks a little bluer in the picture than he really is; he's more green than that. I'll put up more pictures as I take them, but he's being a bit too uncooperative now.

I hope he likes his new home! (Though he'll be losing his four nerite friends when they move back to the 20 long.)

Attachments

• 9-22-12 1.JPG
    9-22-12 1.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 147

Eienna

I like his top fin...kinda looks like a Wave.
Nice find!

AlexAlex

Funny thing is - I used to think when I was a kid that all Bettas were females. They all look so feminine and delicate!

APColorado

I like the color

kinezumi89

Thanks guys He's been super active, zooming around the tank. I'm sure it's much better than his cup! When I had the four set aside that I was torn between, I felt bad narrowing them down and putting the cup back, like I was sending the fish to his doom or something. But I can't get them all, unfortunately...someday when I'm rich I'll have a betta room

AlexAlex

That would be an excellent de-Bett(a)! ;-)

Junne

Very pretty...
I didn't know your half moon died
I'm so sorry

Lucy

He is lovely!

I know what you mean about looking them over and having to put them back. It's very hard.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your other betta.

kinezumi89

Thanks guys I fed him Thursday morning like normal but when I came home that night he had passed. Still no clue what it could have been.

When I move out I'd like to have a 20 long divided for three bettas, then at least I wouldn't have to narrow it down so much

(Random side note: a couple times now I've had to reload to reply because midnamoondog's avatar has been blocking the text box.. )

Donnerjay

Sorry about your betta. I hate when that happens, I lost a cory today.
Glad you have a new friend.

(BTW, did you see my betta thread? Check it out!)

kinezumi89

I did! Did you decide on a name? I like Blue Moon..the name and the beer I still have to think of a name for mine. Something playing on the fact he's green I think.

Cichlidnut

So you can get pictures of a betta but not other things?! I see how it is.

I look forward to seeing how your new betta progresses

APColorado

So you can get pictures of a betta but not other things?! I see how it is.

I look forward to seeing how your new betta progresses

She's hiding something...cough cough

kb9plc

Awwww he is mighty purrrty!
The picture makes him look Blu green and purple. Kinda carnival colored.

Uh oh. See what happens when you post pictures? We want pics of EVERYTHING lol

cognizant

I love the shiny-ness to him.

Tigress Hill

Sorry to hear about your half-moon.:console: The same thing happened to my first betta, Ippon. He lived for about three years and then suddenly passed. It just happens sometimes

nippybetta

Sorry to hear about your half-moon.:console: The same thing happened to my first betta, Ippon. He lived for about three years and then suddenly passed. It just happens sometimes

3 years is pretty old for a betta, especially if it came from a big box store. Still, it's sad. I hate losing my centerpiece fish, I always get attached to them.

kinezumi89

Psh Cichlidnut I made a thread with pictures AND videos. I've only ever uploaded one other video before, so consider yourself special. The pictures aren't the best, but those darn endlers are too fast!

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

Magoo

Hey KinezumI I didn't know you lost your half moon either so sorry to hear that.

But on a brighter note congratulations on your new boy he is gorgeous
If he was mine I would name him Gorbash after the green dragon in my favourite childhood film flight of dragons
Leprechaun could be a good name too lol

Meeps83

Green Lantern. Or Green Goblin. Or Hulk...

Sorry about your other betta.

kinezumi89

So I've noticed my new betta is super spazzy. This video doesn't show it that well because of course he stopped as soon as I got my phone, but he like spasms around at the glass and at the substrate. It can't be that the tank is too small, it's 5.5 gallon which is plenty larger than his little cup. It's filtered, live plants, heated (not as warm as it should be, my little heater can't keep up so I need a new one). Normal?

Magoo

That's normal couldn't see a video link though. Mordin gets super excited and wiggles all over the tank and gets stuck in his plants frees himself and then does the same thing again lol.

He is one of the most active bettas I have had he swims around flaring too he is a complete looney

kinezumi89

LOL probably because I forgot to put up the link

MattyBlanco

He's very pretty. Nice video. I'm not sure if it's normal or not (due to having no experience with bettas) but thanks for posting the video!

Magoo

Lol that's completely normal he is as excitable as Mordin it was like watching a green half moon version of him lol.

He is doing a little bit of what I like to call the food wiggle too bettas are always begging for food little piggy fish.

He is fine nothing to worry about at all he is very beautiful and happy to have a beautiful new home

kinezumi89

Thanks guys! Glad to know he's happy. I gave him a couple pellets this morning; he ate a few but swam away disinterestedly. So either he's not hungry (they may have fed him too much in his cup, it looked there were some old pellets falling apart at the bottom and his stomach looked a little full) or he doesn't like them. Everyone loves NLS though so we'll try again tomorrow.

Magoo

Sometimes bettas can be picky with food when we first get them Mordin was a little confused when I first gave him pellets but after a day or two he was wolfing them down.

He still hasn't figured out bloodworms are food yet the little weirdo but I'm still working on him it's only been a few months lol

kinezumi89

My last betta didn't understand bloodworms either. Maybe this guy will figure them out I have some good flake from Cichlidnut too so if it turns out he doesn't like pellets then I'll try the flakes.

APColorado

Try wiggling the bloodworm in front of his face with an eye dropper. That is how I fed my Bettas with bloodworms.

Magoo

I'll try and get one from my pharmacy and see if it works thanks for the tip I tried tweezers last time which is what I used to use with Malcolm and HoudinI and Mordin just looked at me flared and swam off lol crazy little fish.

APColorado

My bettas use to jump out of the water and tried to grab it whenever I fed him/her.

Magoo

That's so cute Mordin gets so excited sometimes when I get home from work I'm surprised he hasn't jumped yet he acts like Kinezumi's beautiful new boy just a little bit more zoomy when I figure out how to upload videos I'll post one it's a sight to see always cheers me up after a trying day at work.

Have you thought of a name yet Kinezumi?
I now need to get another tank and find a green betta so I can call him Gorbash lol I just told Oliver of this because I'm excited I got promoted to Fish Mentor yay lol and I think it is a fitting way to celebrate. Oliver just shook his head and gave me the look again hee hee

kinezumi89

I have not yet thought of a name. Something will come to me Congrats on being a fish mentor! I thought it would take forever for me to get there, but this place is addictive

Magoo

Thank you it was a nice surprise

I do love fishlore it has been a font of useful knowledge and have met some really nice and helpful people and I agree it is nearly as addictive as keeping fish lol

Musey

Sorry to hear you lost your other friend! But I'm happy you got a cool new fish! He is REALLY pretty and I love the colors. I think he is probably just excited about his BIG new tank (compared to his little dish) and that is why is a little jumpy. He is probably like: WOOT! .... swim.... YES!.... swim... OMG!... swim.... HURRAY!

Tigress Hill

I just cannot understand why one would want to keep these guys in tiny containers! The difference is night and day

kb9plc

Omg hahaha goofy lil Betta!
Mine does that too if it's any consolation. Actually he hasn't stopped spazzing out since I brought him home!
I like the 'food wiggle' and 'omg swim woot swim' explanations! If I were a Betta stuck in one of those gawd awful cups, I'd be doin the same thing once I was in an adequate home!
Happy happy fishie
Love the tank btw

PS in that vid he looks more blackish. But u said he is green? Lol I'd name him Yoda. Check out his stellar moves when u r least expecting it. Lol!!!!
(sorry I'm a Saltwater nerd too. Lol)

kinezumi89

Thanks everyone

monkeypie102

you should name him Marvin. He just looks Marvin-y to me, lol. Sorry to hear about your Betta that died. I have two (a CT and DSCT) now I kind of want yo find one like yours. you said he was a plaket(spelling?)

kinezumi89

No, he's a halfmoon. I was going to get a plakat (labeled as "dragonscale" at Petsmart/Petco) but then I saw this one and couldn't pass him up.

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom