i got a new 20 gal tank today

jarrin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got a new 20 gal tank today. I put 6 zebra danios in it plus my one gold fish to get the cycle in gear. I put plants in it and a decorative vase I had in the oldest tank. so that should give it some good bacteria to go off of right?

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Generally, using fish to cycle a tank isn't a very good idea, because the fish suffer major internal injuries in the process and may have a weaker immune system and shorter lifespan. Please click the link in my signature, as it contains information on the Nitrogen cycle as well as ways to cycle the tank fishlessly.

jarrin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
have read it and don't want to do it fishless. I read that zebar danios are best for it so that's what I put into, plus a gold fish.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, a decoration or substrate from a cycled tank will help, as to how much, who knows, it really depends on a lot of factors. You are definitely much better off if you can score some filter media from a cycled tank as well.

I usually advocate fishless cycling but personally I've always cycled with fish, and probably always will. Just be sure to keep a close eye on the tank parameters and do water changes when needed.

jarrin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ill be doing a water change every 2 days like I did with my other tank n I did it for about 2 weeks.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads