I got a bigger tank! ...and it looks SO EMPTY!

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Member
Messages
619
Reaction score
530
Location
Calgary, Alberta
Experience
1 year
20200220_180245.jpg
My 10 gallon was FULL. Mostly of plants, but it was feeling cramped so I did double duty and both cleared out some less desirable bits and upgraded to a 20 gallon high setup.

I immediate purchased a young pearl gouramI (guppies might not be my favourites anymore!!!), but it still feels like a bit of a blank slate. I'm open to hearing suggestions of how to maximize my new space!
20200324_194847.jpg

Other than waiting patiently for my ludwigia and guppies to eventually take up ALL the space, what would YOU add to my tank?

Currently housing:
- 3 female guppies, 1 male, and a couple fry
- 1 juvenile pearl gourami
- 2 RCS (the lone remnant of a larger colony - not sure if I'm going to try again with these)
- a small but growing herd of ramshorns
- an even smaller collection of MTSs who don't seem to be breeding

Looking forward to seeing some ideas!
 

Shrimpgeek

Active Member
Member
Messages
130
Reaction score
74
Location
Indiana
Experience
More than 10 years
I personally think you should get some floating plants. I really like salvinia minama (spelled that wrong). Also a bulb of some kind of Lily? I love their deep color and leaf shape. And maybe some more shrimpies! :D
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Y

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Member
Messages
619
Reaction score
530
Location
Calgary, Alberta
Experience
1 year
Shrimpgeek said:
I personally think you should get some floating plants.
I used to have dwarf water lettuce, but it wouldn't do anything but rot! I'm not sure why it failed to hard. I might have to explore other options.
Shrimpgeek said:
Also a bulb of some kind of Lily? I love their deep color and leaf shape.
I've never seen many bulb plants available in these parts, but it might just be that I wasn't looking! Any recommendations?
Shrimpgeek said:
And maybe some more shrimpies! :D
The bottom of the tank, oddly enough, is feeling the most barren. If not more shrimp, I might have to explore kuhlI loaches. I saw some the other day at a fish store across the city and figured my wife would hate them (she gags at the sight of plecos, otos, and anything transparent!), but I find them fascinating. I showed her a video of them and she said "They're actually kinda cool!":facepalm:
 

Shrimpgeek

Active Member
Member
Messages
130
Reaction score
74
Location
Indiana
Experience
More than 10 years
YellowGuppy said:
I used to have dwarf water lettuce, but it wouldn't do anything but rot! I'm not sure why it failed to hard. I might have to explore other options.

I've never seen many bulb plants available in these parts, but it might just be that I wasn't looking! Any recommendations?

The bottom of the tank, oddly enough, is feeling the most barren. If not more shrimp, I might have to explore kuhlI loaches. I saw some the other day at a fish store across the city and figured my wife would hate them (she gags at the sight of plecos, otos, and anything transparent!), but I find them fascinating. I showed her a video of them and she said "They're actually kinda cool!" ‍♂
Why would anyone dislike otos??? :p um, I forget what it's called... I'll have to check in the morning.
 

vinay021

New Member
Member
Messages
46
Reaction score
9
Location
India
Experience
1 year
How about tetras... They would happily fill up the mid-ground. Choose smaller kind like ember or neon if you want to lower the bioload
 

Jerome O'Neil

Active Member
Member
Messages
372
Reaction score
639
Location
Maple Valley, WA
Experience
More than 10 years
Your gouramI would probably like a friend or two, and some overhead. Duckweed is impossible to kill, and your fish will stress less with something to hide under.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Y

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Member
Messages
619
Reaction score
530
Location
Calgary, Alberta
Experience
1 year
Jerome O'Neil said:
Your gouramI would probably like a friend or two, and some overhead. Duckweed is impossible to kill, and your fish will stress less with something to hide under.
Something floating does sound pretty great. Am I okay to do additional gouramis? Stuff you read online can be so varied - one source I saw suggested 1 in a 20 gallon, and an additional 5-10 gallons for each one you add. Seems overkill to me, but I'm new to anything bigger than an inch and a half!
 

Jerome O'Neil

Active Member
Member
Messages
372
Reaction score
639
Location
Maple Valley, WA
Experience
More than 10 years
YellowGuppy said:
Something floating does sound pretty great. Am I okay to do additional gouramis? Stuff you read online can be so varied - one source I saw suggested 1 in a 20 gallon, and an additional 5-10 gallons for each one you add. Seems overkill to me, but I'm new to anything bigger than an inch and a half!
With pearls, their disposition is more a factor than tank size, IMO. You can always manage water quality, but a mean fish isn't really something you can do much about. If your Pearl isn't harassing any of the other fish, a mate to go with it would be the add I'd make.

I've go 5 of em in a 40, along with a school of harlequin rasboras and half a dozen SterbaI corys. They are also well behaved and socially structured (males have their girls, etc...) I also have a nice thick top coat of duckweed that sucks up nitrate faster than a fat guy at a Chinese restaurant. In fact, I'm about to pull a bunch out as it's getting a bit thick. If I thought I could get it to you in Canada before customs impounds it as some kind of unknown substance and raids my house in hazmat suits, I'd send you a bunch. I also run an over-sized filter on it (Tidal 75) and have additional bio-media in the basket, and run an R/O unit that I use for water changes. I don't really keep fish, I care for a bacteria colony. :D

Go up a size on your filter. There is no such thing as "too much" filtration. Or if you still have the 10 gallon laying around, move some of the other fish into it.
 

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,981
Reaction score
4,299
Location
Netherlands
You look like you have a 20 high. Pearls really do get quite big, when fully grown you probably shouldn't have more than one in there (in fact some think a Pearl in general is too large for that tank size). Especially because they may be aggressive as Jerome O'Neil suggested above. They won't have anywhere to hide from one another.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
Y

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Member
Messages
619
Reaction score
530
Location
Calgary, Alberta
Experience
1 year
Fortunately this one (at least on its own, and for now!) seems pretty docile. It was fun letting it go in the tank - it actually seemed frightened by a juvenile guppy a quarter of its size, then went around using its fins to "inspect" every other tank resident.

I'll just stick with the one for now. I think it really comes down to a question of the bottom level - more shrimp? Some kuhlI loaches? A Mexican dwarf CPO?
 

jkkgron2

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,919
Reaction score
1,585
Experience
3 years
YellowGuppy said:
Fortunately this one (at least on its own, and for now!) seems pretty docile. It was fun letting it go in the tank - it actually seemed frightened by a juvenile guppy a quarter of its size, then went around using its fins to "inspect" every other tank resident.

I'll just stick with the one for now. I think it really comes down to a question of the bottom level - more shrimp? Some kuhlI loaches? A Mexican dwarf CPO?
I’d get kuhlI loaches, I have some and they are very fun to watch! Make sure to keep them in groups of at least five, but personally I’d shoot for 7-8 of them in a 20 :).
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
Y

YellowGuppy

Well Known
Member
Messages
619
Reaction score
530
Location
Calgary, Alberta
Experience
1 year
They're SO cool!

Would 7-8 be a lot? I know they say the old "inch per gallon rule" is bunk, but that's 32 additional inches of fish when they're fully grown. Do kuhlis just have a crazy low bioload like shrimp?
 

jkkgron2

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,919
Reaction score
1,585
Experience
3 years
YellowGuppy said:
They're SO cool!

Would 7-8 be a lot? I know they say the old "inch per gallon rule" is bunk, but that's 32 additional inches of fish when they're fully grown. Do kuhlis just have a crazy low bioload like shrimp?
7 would be perfect, I’m not sure on bioload but I’d guess it’s pretty low :).
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
132
Guests online
2,133
Total visitors
2,265

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom