I got a 29 gallon today!

Stradius011

Butterfly

YAY!!! New tanks are always good things Remember to cycle and yes your choice of fish will do fine as long as you have lots of plants (real or artificial) and hidey places for the rams and corys.
Carol

atmmachine816

Ya that's a good stocking choice, almost the same as mine though might I suggest all male guppies though. If you'd like some advice let me know as I have almost that same stocking and same size tank.

Austin

Good Luck on the Tank

Isabella

Congrats The fish list sounds good to me Good luck! Just remember not to overstock. For a 29 gallon tank, get 2 angels, 3 rams, plus however many harlequins and cories you can within the limit (of not overstocking). Harlequins are shoalers/schoolers ... and cories ... I actually don't know, lol ;D

The reason you want 3 Rams (1 male and 2 females) is that 2 males will fight, while having only 1 male and 1 female will cause the female to be harrassed all the time  the male. ( Carol told me this a while ago )

Stradius011

I'll remember to get 2 females. Does anyone know good plants for Angelfish, Rams, corys, etc?

atmmachine816

It depends on the lighting your going to have.  In my 29 since it's so deep and I only have the standard strip light I'v only found that anarchis will grow tall so far so I use to tall fake plants for cover for my angels until my anarchis has finished growing.  For rams and corys you should have lots of caves and you can stuff your tank with crypts, I have six crypts and am planning to get more, I have two species taht are pretty tall but they aren't bushy.  You really need to know what type of ligthing you are going to have.

Austin

O corys NEED minimum of three perferably five because it's there nature to need friends like schooling fish. They really like sand too

Stradius011

I heard that angelfish can be aggressive eaters, would other fish get their share? Do rams eat at the surface? Instead of getting harlquin rasboras can I get zebra danios?

atmmachine816

I don't see why not get zebra danios, angels don't bother my fish, my guppies eat at the top=no problems, harlequins sometime do but usually just eat stuff as it falls down, and rams I don't know. if your just getting one angel you could get zebra danios, harlequins, and rams as long as you have pretty good filteration.

atm

Stradius011

I'm wondering if this is okay: 2 angelfish, 3 rams, 1 bristle-nose pleco, 6 zebra danios, and the rest of the space will be filled with guppies. I'm just worried if the zebra danios will nip my guppies' fins.

atmmachine816

Yes that would be ok, the danios shouldn't nip your guppies and if you like the red zebra danios it's ok there not dyed so either type are ok. I would add the angels last and add 5 or so, find a pair from them and return the rest. Don't know on the ration for rams though I think 1 male 2 females, not sure. I would just add male guppies too.

atm

Stradius011

Okay, so this the list so far (I changed it a bit):
2 angelfishes
3 rams (a male and 2 females)
3 corys
3 otos
1 bristle-nose pleco
2 guppys
6 zebra danios

Stradius011

I almost forgot, how deep should the gravel be for the plants?

atmmachine816

Sorry but it's over stocked. The angels and pleco are large waste producers. I would get just otos, or a BN pleco not both and leave out either corys or guppies and go more with
2 angels=7-9"
6 zebra danios 12-15"
1 BN pleco 4-6"
3 rams 6-7"
and 4 guppies. 4-5"
if you go by the inch a gallon rule it's pushing it though what type of filter are you going to be using

The gravel should be at least a inch but you can make it deeper or not so deep in different parts to give it a different look. Just mess around with it till you like it, it should at least cover the roots and allow for them to grow so an inch or more is good. A guidline on how much to buy is a pound per gallon so 30lb. bag, butterfly says it's cheaper if you buy it at lowes or home depot and just wash it real well.

atm

atm

Stradius011

atmmachine816 said:
Sorry but it's over stocked.  The angels and pleco are large waste producers.  I would get just otos, or a BN pleco not both and leave out either corys or guppies and go more with
2 angels=7-9"
6 zebra danios 12-15"
1 BN pleco 4-6"
3 rams 6-7"
and 4 guppies. 4-5"
That's perfect! ;D

atmmachine816

Just make sure you have a good filter and keep up with your water changes. . Depending on how it all works out you could add another gupppy or danio after you see how it all works out. Add the danios and guppies first, then pleco, then ram, then angels and take it from there.

atm

Stradius011

When can I add the plants? Will adding them during the cycling process kill them?

atmmachine816

Absolutely not. Once you have the tank to a steady temperature and filter up and running you can add the plants. They help remove wastes. It's best to add them now because you can mess with the gravel and plants until you like them, you'l have a month to do it too.

atm

Stradius011

Okay

atmmachine816

Keep us posted, you going to have pics?

atm

Stradius011

I have plenty of pictures of my aquariums and I have a digital camera, but my internet service is modum and loads forever when I try posting picts.

atmmachine816

O that stinks.

atm

Stradius011

I finally got the plants! I don't know their names though...

atmmachine816

O I have some too I don't know the names off though they seem to be growing.

atm

Stradius011

I added 5 zebra danios, 1 cory, and 2 platies. I decided not to add the angelfishes.

atmmachine816

Cool, if you check plantgeek you can try and identify the plants or post pics here. Are you going to add more cories?

Stradius011

I'm adding 2 more corys. The reason I'm not adding angelfishes is because I heard too many reports of them eating guppies when they reach full size.

atmmachine816

O mine don't.

Stradius011

Are they adults?

atmmachine816

Yes mated adults, I'v bred guppies with them together.

Stradius011

Oh....I'll put in the guppies first and THEN the angelfishes.

atmmachine816

Let the angels get full grown and have some cover for them, you should be ok, especially if they are fancy tails. 8)

Stradius011

So far I have 2 platies, 1 cory, and 5 zebra danios. I'm planning to add 3 rams, 2 angelfishes, 1 bristle-nose pleco, 5-6 harlquin rasboros, and 2 guppies. Is it possible to add a rainbow shark too? I don't think so but I'm just asking...

Stradius011

I decided against getting redtailed sharks, because now I want 2 dojo loaches. Is that okay?

chickadee

Sounds like you are way overstocking the tank and one cory cat will not do. You need to have at least 3 as they are fish who need the company of their own kind. I have 2 only because the ones I got as "pygmies" ended up being bigger than that and all died but one and I purchased another to keep him company, but my tank is MUCH smaller.

Stradius011

I had bought 3 corys but 2 of them died. I went to Wal-Mart and bought 2 new corys and a few plants. I'm going to try to NOT overstock it.

atmmachine816

Ya you'l will be WAY overstocked with adding all of those. No rainbow shark, needs a bigger tank. If you don't have more cories add more, you can add the BN and probably decide on one angel or the rams and scratch the harlequins and add the guppies so:
1 angel
3 cories
2 platties
5 zebra danios
1 bn pleco

that would be pushing it unless you have a good filter and do water changes regulary and might need to do larger ones or:
3 rams
3 cories
2 platties
5 zebra danios
1 bn pleco

same with that

I would recommend returning your one cory as the BN will eat food on the bottom along with food you special feed him. No dojo loaches unless you want to loss something else.

Stradius011

I forgot to say that I also added 1 red-tailed shark and 1 bamboo shrimp. I really ruined my plan. The red-tailed shark seems really peaceful though. Maybe it's just because it's still young? It sometimes hangs around 2 male zebra danios. The zebra danios and the red-tailed shark are the same size.

Here are a few picts.

I'm wondering if the red-tailed shark will get along with angelfishes and/or rams. Since the shark is only about 1.5 inches long, could it "learn" to get with rams and/or angelfishes?

atmmachine816

Well basically rts get 6" easy, I'v seen them and they get large. There peaceful as their young but as they grow older in small tanks like 29gallons they get more aggressive to any fish that they think opposes them that's what mine did and why I had to return it. I know you probably really want it but I would suggest returning it unless you are going to not get any angels and rams and add more hiding places for him. He needs a large cave or two that he can call his home that he will protect and the darker red his tail is the happier he is. He might bother the cory I don't know, he shouldn't bother the platys and zebra danios. If you are going to keep him I would only buy more mid to top dwelling fish and schooling fish that he shouldn't bother. Nice looking tank though, just add some more dark hiding places for him. It might get along with angels but I would only get one angel not a pair better chance that way and not rams, having a rts cories and rams would be too much on the bottom you would just be asking for problems. So you hav:
5 zebra danios
2 platys
1 cory
1 rts

Stradius011

I have a cave that is in the middle of the aquarium. It looks like a rock from the front view though. I have 5 zebra danios, 3 corys, 2 platies, 1 bamboo shrimp, and a red-tailed shark in there so far. I'm going to try to add an angel in there because they're the reason I got the 29 gallon aquarium. Why would it be better if I got 2? Would the angelfish harm the bamboo shrimp? The red-tailed shark seems to be lonely (or maybe I'm imagining it). It tries to swim with the corys and the zebra danios and the platies. It's so tiny that my biggest cory is bigger than my red-tailed shark! I'll try to get a picture when they're side by side so that you can see how tiny it is.

atmmachine816

Trust me your rts is not lonely. Add only one angel as then they won't be a mated pair and your tank will hopefully be more peacefull. It might eat your bamboo shrimp if you don't provide enough hiding places and I would suggest buying some tall plants to put in a corner of the tank for the angel to hide in. The rts will get big so make sure the cave is big enough for him at 6" and keep an eye on him if he starts to get more aggressive, their not when there small. I wouldn't add anymore after the angel and just see how things go. Good Luck

Stradius011

Okay.

Isabella

LOVE the pictures

Stradius011

Okay, so far I have 1 red-tailed shark, 2 platies, 3 corys, 5 zebra danios, and 1 bamboo shrimp in there. These are the cichlid options I have (1) 1 angelfish (2) a pair
of BorleyI (3) a pair of Kribs ??? It's so difficult choosing the fish!!!!

atmmachine816

Would suggest against the kribs, they might fight with the rts as they both inhabit the bottom, could be wrong ask Butterfly for confirmation and I would go with only one angel, my mated pair sometimes gives the other fish problems and they produce a lot of waste and having only one leaves it more open because the tank doesn't seem so big once the angel is full grown, and they produce big things of waste :-X

Stradius011

Ok, I was just hesitating because the angelfishes grow so huge. I'm going to research other cichlids and see if I can find good and small cichlid that'll breed easily and so that I could add more fish.

atmmachine816

Most cichlids do best in species only tanks, the dwarf species are usually the most peaceful, one angel is ok, in fact it could be a small angel, on of my angels is really small and the other is big.

Stradius011

But then the small angelfish would grow big eventually

atmmachine816

No not all angels grow the same size, mine are full grown one's maybe 3" long max and the other is close to 5" and the small one's fin span is mayble 6" max, I'l try to take a picture, not all angels get big, depends on the species too, like some have big fins and others don't.

Stradius011

Oh... cool! Which varieties are smaller?

Butterfly

Your tank is looking good. The red tailed shark will enjoy having the bottom to himself. As long as you have the rts I would advise against kribs and rams both as they both inhabit the bottom quite a bit and they can get aggressive with intruders and that's how they would see the rts. Without the rts you could have kribs or rams. I suggest a trio 1male/2females.
Most angels will get at least 3-4 inches across the body and two in the 29G shouldn't be too many if you want them. Just some suggestions
Carol

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom