I Got A 10 Gallon, Cycling, Want To Make A Brackish Water Tank.

IcedColdMine
Question is what supplies do I need to have a successful brackish tank?

For stocking (10g) I was thinking 3-5 bumblebees gobies, amano shrimp, and nerite snails... And would there be enough room for 2 ballon mollies?

Other questions is will amano shrimp and nerite snails reproduce in brackish?

Also what plants can I put in a brackish tank?

KinsKicks
(I'll answer your question over here so we don't hijack the other thread)

As it seems, just a brackish set up won't work as well; so you'll be safe. A higher chance of success lies in letting them develop in a full marine/SW set up. So, you'll still get bedazzled decor, but a low chance of babies.

And you will need to use marine salt. If you do plan on adding bumblebee gobies, more often than not, they're kept in FW, so you'll have to add up to 0.002 salinity per week until your target salinity to allow your bacteria and goby acclimate slowly to the salt

IcedColdMine
(I'll answer your question over here so we don't hijack the other thread)

As it seems, just a brackish set up won't work as well; so you'll be safe. A higher chance of success lies in letting them develop in a full marine/SW set up. So, you'll still get bedazzled decor, but a low chance of babies.

And you will need to use marine salt. If you do plan on adding bumblebee gobies, more often than not, they're kept in FW, so you'll have to add up to 0.002 salinity per week until your target salinity to allow your bacteria and goby acclimate slowly to the salt
So it wouldbtake million weeks to get to 1.007 or so salinity? Would It just be easier to let them live in FW?

And which salt is best for them? And is there any other small brackish water fish that can coexist with gobies?

KinsKicks
So it wouldbtake million weeks to get to 1.007 or so salinity? Would It just be easier to let them live in FW?
Your bumblebee gobies won't last as long in FW. And plus, lol. Regular water had a SG of about 1.000 (1.000 on the dot if it's pure, but normal minerals and such can change it a bit). So it would take 3-4 weeks, not a million haha

IcedColdMine
Your bumblebee gobies won't last as long in FW. And plus, lol. Regular water had a SG of about 1.000 (1.000 on the dot if it's pure, but normal minerals and such can change it a bit). So it would take 3-4 weeks, not a million haha
Ah I see lol, also what's Saltwater salinity? And what now, do nerite snails travdo to the ocean to give birth lol. Also is there any small fish that can coexist with them in a 10g?

And what's the best salt to use for them? Instant marine?

KinsKicks
Ah I see lol, also what's Saltwater salinity? And what now, do nerite snails travdo to the ocean to give birth lol. Also is there any small fish that can coexist with them in a 10g?

And what's the best salt to use for them? Instant marine?
For a full Saltwater set-up, it's 1.021-1.026, but most keep it stable at 1.025 as it's a nice number to keep most anything.
Use this for adding weekly:
(a+b)/2=c.
a= your current SG
b= what you need your next SG on your mix should be
c= your target SG

Instant Ocean is a good brand, lots of people like, use and recommend; I do.

Not too sure about snails, not my cup of tea, but I'm guessing its something similar lol

Guppies (as long as they aren't pure; they're genetics are too poopy..."feeders" or wild-types are a nice choice) could work. You'd have to acclimate them as well.

IcedColdMine
For a full Saltwater set-up, it's 1.021-1.026, but most keep it stable at 1.025 as it's a nice number to keep most anything.
Use this for adding weekly:
(a+b)/2=c.
a= your current SG
b= what you need your next SG on your mix should be
c= your target SG

Instant Ocean is a good brand, lots of people like, use and recommend; I do.

Not too sure about snails, not my cup of tea, but I'm guessing its something similar lol

Guppies (as long as they aren't pure; they're genetics are too poopy..."feeders" or wild-types are a nice choice) could work. You'd have to acclimate them as well.
Cool, decided on 2-3 guppies, 3-5 BB gobies, and nerite snails

I bought a hydrometer and Instant Ocean Marine salt for 10g.

Questions, how often do I need to moniter Salitnity Levels? Do I start getting the BB ready with the salinity levels now? Or wait till I get the fish to start? And is there anything that can make the Brackish tank look cool

KinsKicks
Sounds good! Just make sure your gobies get a chance to eat; they like eating but are really slow at it lol. And they should help keep guppy populations down as well.

I'd monitor them weekly, just like anything. You have to remember that as the water evaporates, the salt concentration increases (salt gets left behind) so you should remember to top off if need be

I'd acclimate your BB with your fish; I'm almost 100% sure that you are going to get fish that have been living in Freshwater and not salt (unless you buy from a breeder who keeps their gobies in salt) and it'll be extremely stressful to drop them into water with pretty much any salt initially. Adding salt weekly in a low amount will allow the BB and your fish to acclimate together and make it easier on you.

And of course! Natural decor is always nice and plants can be added too. Things like Vals, anubias and crypts will do fine a brackish set up once they acclimate to the salt as well. You'll want to scape on such a way that your gobies will be able to carve out a territory for themselves so the don't fight for the same one

IcedColdMine
Sounds good! Just make sure your gobies get a chance to eat; they like eating but are really slow at it lol. And they should help keep guppy populations down as well.

I'd monitor them weekly, just like anything. You have to remember that as the water evaporates, the salt concentration increases (salt gets left behind) so you should remember to top off if need be

I'd acclimate your BB with your fish; I'm almost 100% sure that you are going to get fish that have been living in Freshwater and not salt (unless you buy from a breeder who keeps their gobies in salt) and it'll be extremely stressful to drop them into water with pretty much any salt initially. Adding salt weekly in a low amount will allow the BB and your fish to acclimate together and make it easier on you.

And of course! Natural decor is always nice and plants can be added too. Things like Vals, anubias and crypts will do fine a brackish set up once they acclimate to the salt as well. You'll want to scape on such a way that your gobies will be able to carve out a territory for themselves so the don't fight for the same one
How So? Driftwood? Java fern stuff......? Oh and will anacharis do well in a brackish setup?

And with guppies, gobies, and nerites.... What do you recommend..... don't want to overstock this time.......

IcedColdMine
Oh and I have a 40 gallon would I be able to keep "violent gobys" with BB gobies, nerite snails, and guppies? They won't eat them right?

KinsKicks
How So? Driftwood? Java fern stuff......? Oh and will anacharis do well in a brackish setup?

And with guppies, gobies, and nerites.... What do you recommend..... don't want to overstock this time.......

lol driftwood would be fine, the plants I mentioned and your Anacharis would be good as well. Have fun with it .

And I would do a trip if guppies with 3 gobies; you could do up to 5, but as with anything, you want to understocked at first.

Oh and I have a 40 gallon would I be able to keep "violent gobys" with BB gobies, nerite snails, and guppies? They won't eat them right?
And imo violet gobies will outgrow a 40B. They can get a foot+ in size. And it may be the case that they won't directly eat them on purpose, but they could accidentally bite one thinking it's food or something similar.

IcedColdMine
lol driftwood would be fine, the plants I mentioned and your Anacharis would be good as well. Have fun with it .

And I would do a trip if guppies with 3 gobies; you could do up to 5, but as with anything, you want to understocked at first.

And imo violet gobies will outgrow a 40B. They can get a foot+ in size. And it may be the case that they won't directly eat them on purpose, but they could accidentally bite one thinking it's food or something similar.
Ah ok, for the longest time I thought bichirs were violent gobies for some reason.........

So 3 guppies 3 gobies and snails

Thanks!

Going to get my tank cycled tonight! Will post pics when finished

Also.... do you know anything that will make the tank look "darker"?

KinsKicks
Ah ok, for the longest time I thought bichirs were violent gobies for some reason.........

So 3 guppies 3 gobies and snails

Thanks!

Going to get my tank cycled tonight! Will post pics when finished

Also.... do you know anything that will make the tank look "darker"?

Okie! I'll wait eagerly . And what do you mean darker...like blackwater dark?

IcedColdMine
Okie! I'll wait eagerly . And what do you mean darker...like blackwater dark?
Yessssss

KinsKicks
Haha, it's pretty simple. Since your tank is small, you can use things like Indian Almond Leaves or driftwood to add tannins to your water. Just make sure not to have too many tannins other wise you may lower your pH too much and work against the pH of the salt (salt increases the pH and makes it harder)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aevdh
Replies
Views
kaypay91
Replies
Views
MasterPython
Replies
Views