I go to buy some new female betta fish, when I go home I see that my betta fish is already pregnant!

Choichai

Reaction score
Comment if my betta fish is pregnant! But I'm worried because I have a male betta fish here? Will the male protect the eggs even the fish eggs doesn't come from him? Helpp

Attachments

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
Don't laugh, I think it is a genuine question. Every fact has to be learnt sometime, we can't all be expected to know beforehand.

Bettas don't get pregnant. If the belly is very swollen, your betta is likely bloated from overeating or illness.
Female bettas get eggy (meaning they fill up with eggs for when they meet a male) but the eggs are fertilised during the mating process, outside the body. In other words, if she is still carrying eggs and there is no contact with a male afterwards there is no way for the eggs to hatch and fry to appear later.

Are you keeping the male with this female in the same tank? I would strongly advise against that, the male is likely to harass or attack her until she dies.

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Choichai said:
Comment if my betta fish is pregnant! But I'm worried because I have a male betta fish here? Will the male protect the eggs even the fish eggs doesn't come from him? Helpp
I know this has nothing to do with your question, but your profile says you’re not familiar with the nitrogen cycle.

I’d suggest you read the article below and ask questions here so your fish do well.

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Franzink

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
do you think it might be a signal for the betta male to make a courtship and eventually fertilize the female betta fish?

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
Franzink said:
do you think it might be a signal for the betta male to make a courtship and eventually fertilize the female betta fish?
Might what be a signal? What are you referring to?

Franzink

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
might be sign that the male betta is ready for mating

New Threads