I Give Up...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Matthiasfanu, Apr 22, 2017.

1. MatthiasfanuValued MemberMember

I cannot for the life of me figure out why my tank is running so hot. The heater is unplugged (for about 12 hours now) the lights have been off all day and I took the lid off my tank. There is plenty of surface movement from my filter but my water temp is a constant 82 degrees. I even floated bags of ice in the tank. The ambient temp of my room is in the mid 70s so I know it's not that. I even felt my canister filter to see if it was getting hot in the cabinet and it feels normal. Ideas??

2. MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

What type of fish are you keeping?

Water holds heat extremely well, it'll take a while for the temp to drop to room temp. If you can do a room temperature water change, or a water change at a temp necessary for the species you keep that would obviously speed up the process.

3. MatthiasfanuValued MemberMember

I actually haven't gotten fish in there yet. Starting my fishless cycle on Monday so I'm going to do a big water change tomorrow with prime and see if that helps

4. BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

The water change should help. If you have trouble keeping it a lower temp, consider getting an aquarium chiller. BUT it doesn't sound like you should need one - since your room temperature is in the mid 70s, the tank shouldn't really exceed that same temp, in my experience it's usually lower than room temp.

5. BeckyAnnValued MemberMember

I work at a LFS in Florida and because it gets so hot down here our ac's break down sometimes and we float frozen bottles of water in all of our tanks.

6. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

What other electrical equipment do you have running or is uour tank near any central heating vents or.the like

7. fisshWell Known MemberMember

Sometimes when a filters impeller is having a problem, it will heat up the tank.

8. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

What size aquarium? A smaller aquarium would not take long to get to room temperature, something has to be providing heat especially if you've put ice etc. You can't trust your sense of touch, do you have a laser thermometer? They're extemely cheap like 5-10 $ at walmart and will certainly allow you to pinpoint the source.

9. BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

I think it would be pretty easy to plug out everything, see if the tank cool downs and if it does not then well, you better tell us your secret, if it does cool down plug everything slowly, give it a day between equipment and then see what heats it up.

10. MatthiasfanuValued MemberMember

How would I check for this?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice