I Give Up! Ammonia Issue

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,719
Reaction score
4,005
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes as mattgirl says it’s something in the tank. I’d go buy a 5 gal tank and move the fish into it. Clean out you filter and add it to that tank. Than remove everything from the tank. Put each decoration in its own bucket and all the gravel in a bucket. Fill these buckets with new water and empty and refil the tank. Wait a day and recheck all buckets and tank. See what has the ammonia. Also check the 5gal. Right now this is the only way to solve the problem.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #82

Trice

New Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Points
8
Experience
More than 10 years
jdhef said:
If your ammonia level is 8ppm, there's a pretty good chance that it killed off the bacteria you added. But I can't figure out where all that ammonia would be coming from.

If it were me, I would not use both Stability and Colony, since they will be competing against each other.
I for the life of me cannot figure out where all that ammonia would be coming from either! When I did the water change yesterday, I added the Prime & Colony to one of the buckets of fresh water I was adding to the tank which had ammonia 0. I vacuumed the gravel thoroughly & left just enough water in the tank for the fish to swim, so we’re talking about nearly a whole fresh tank of water! So how on earth can the ammonia be 8???? This makes no sense. I’ve been battling ammonia for weeks now. I thought for sure after yesterday’s water change this would finally be fixed!

mattgirl said:
That one little fish is not producing all this ammonia. I have suggested before that the deco you have in there may be leaching ammonia. You won't know unless you remove all of it.

Although the pieces were sold as aquarium decorations they may not be tank safe. We can't know who made them or where they were made. Sadly it seems the almighty dollar is more important than the health of our fish.

More than once folks have come here with numbers that will not go down no matter what they do. The numbers just keep going up no matter how much water they change. They remove some things from the tank and the rise in ammonia or nitrites or nitrates (whatever the problem they are having is) go down where they are supposed to be.

The one that had me scratching my head the longest was a lady with high nitrites. Even daily 100% water changes wouldn't budge them. She removed the deco she had bought that was made for aquarium use. She did her water change and the nitrites zeroed out never to be seen again..

By adding this and that to the tank neither you nor we can know what is causing the problems. I highly recommend you remove the deco you have in this tank. Once done do a 75% or even more water change. Add nothing but Prime.

check the numbers the next day. If the ammonia is still high but is less do another big water change and again add nothing but Prime.

If doing all of this doesn't bring the ammonia level down at least some then I am at a total as to what is happening. Does anyone other than you have access to this tank? Just wondering, is sabotage is a possibility?
I did try removing all the deco last week & it made no difference. Ammonia was still too high so when I did the water change yesterday I put it back in after soaking it for an hour in 10% bleach solution then overnight in clean water. Im the only one w access to the tank other than my daughter who doesn’t touch it whatsoever. She’s just as upset as I am that I can’t get this water right.
 

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Messages
253
Reaction score
131
Points
53
Experience
2 years
Something I noticed looking at this thread was that your test only goes up to 8ppm ammonia. Have you ever checked with a test that had a color for higher than 8 ammonia?
Just spitballing here, but if you had say...something nuts like 250ppm ammonia that was the non-toxic kind bound by the ammo-lock you were using you could do 50% WCs every day for 2 weeks and it would still always show 8ppm since that is the max your test goes and your fish is still going to be producing more ammonia each day.
If that is the case you should be getting close to being under 8ppm.
 

mlash

Valued Member
Messages
120
Reaction score
63
Points
38
Experience
Just started
Trice said:
I for the life of me cannot figure out where all that ammonia would be coming from either! When I did the water change yesterday, I added the Prime & Colony to one of the buckets of fresh water I was adding to the tank which had ammonia 0. I vacuumed the gravel thoroughly & left just enough water in the tank for the fish to swim, so we’re talking about nearly a whole fresh tank of water! So how on earth can the ammonia be 8???? This makes no sense. I’ve been battling ammonia for weeks now. I thought for sure after yesterday’s water change this would finally be fixed!
What kind of filter are you using? Could something be in your filter that is causing all this amonia?
 

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
702
Points
313
Experience
More than 10 years
86 ssinit said:
Yes as mattgirl says it’s something in the tank. I’d go buy a 5 gal tank and move the fish into it. Clean out you filter and add it to that tank. Than remove everything from the tank. Put each decoration in its own bucket and all the gravel in a bucket. Fill these buckets with new water and empty and refil the tank. Wait a day and recheck all buckets and tank. See what has the ammonia. Also check the 5gal. Right now this is the only way to solve the problem.
I really would try this one..... It seems like a fool proof way to test the contents. Then you would know for sure if it is a decoration or the gravel.
 

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Messages
3,984
Reaction score
2,675
Points
308
Experience
2 years
JessicaSwanlake said:
Something I noticed looking at this thread was that your test only goes up to 8ppm ammonia. Have you ever checked with a test that had a color for higher than 8 ammonia?
Just spitballing here, but if you had say...something nuts like 250ppm ammonia that was the non-toxic kind bound by the ammo-lock you were using you could do 50% WCs every day for 2 weeks and it would still always show 8ppm since that is the max your test goes and your fish is still going to be producing more ammonia each day.
If that is the case you should be getting close to being under 8ppm.
she just did a 75-80% water change yesterday. if it was really 8ppm ammonia and not mostly ammonium, the fish would show severe signs of ammonia poisoning and probably be dead by now.
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,719
Reaction score
4,005
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
Also if Jessica is right and it’s locked up ammonia. My way will clear that too. All new water!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #89

Trice

New Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Points
8
Experience
More than 10 years
mlash said:
What kind of filter are you using? Could something be in your filter that is causing all this amonia?
It’s an Aqua Tech 20-40. No issues in the past w this brand filter.

Yes i
mattgirl said:
Did you do a big water change after you removed the deco?

I wasn't really serious about sabotage and was just reaching for straws
Yes, I did the huge water change just yesterday & took all the deco out for a good week & still had high ammonia even without the deco. To be safe, I soaked all the deco in 10% bleach solution then let it soak overnight in fresh water but didn’t return the deco until yesterday after yet another major water change since the deco was ruled out.
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,387
Reaction score
8,192
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Trice said:
Yes i

Yes, I did the huge water change just yesterday & took all the deco out for a good week & still had high ammonia even without the deco. To be safe, I soaked all the deco in 10% bleach solution then let it soak overnight in fresh water but didn’t return the deco until yesterday after yet another major water change since the deco was ruled out.
That does kinda rule out the deco then. I guess the only thing left in there is the gravel. I can't imagine it doing this but the ammonia has to be coming from something other than just the one little fish.
 

jdhef

Moderator
Messages
14,216
Reaction score
3,232
Points
583
Experience
More than 10 years
I know it seems highly unlikely, but I just keep thinking the ammolock has something to do with it.

I can't see anyway that after that large a water change, that there would be 8ppm of ammonia.

One would think that all the ammolock would be out of the tank at this point, but I can't think of anything else that would cause it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #92

Trice

New Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Points
8
Experience
More than 10 years
mattgirl said:
That does kinda rule out the deco then. I guess the only thing left in there is the gravel. I can't imagine it doing this but the ammonia has to be coming from something other than just the one little fish.
Exactly. I only have one bucket so I’ve got one deco in it w fresh tap water that I’ll be testing for ammonia tomorrow after it sits in the fresh water overnight. If that passes the test, the next thing is the gravel. The gravel has been the only component remaining in the tank thru all these water changes w still high ammonia. I got the gravel from Amazon, 20 lbs of it. This brand comes in several colors & no reviews mention it holding ammonia. I’ll post a pic.

jdhef said:
I know it seems highly unlikely, but I just keep thinking the ammolock has something to do with it.

I can't see anyway that after that large a water change, that there would be 8ppm of ammonia.

One would think that all the ammolock would be out of the tank at this point, but I can't think of anything else that would cause it.
Exactly. The Ammo Lock should be gone at this point.

mattgirl said:
That does kinda rule out the deco then. I guess the only thing left in there is the gravel. I can't imagine it doing this but the ammonia has to be coming from something other than just the one little fish.
This is my gravel

StarGirl15 said:
I really would try this one..... It seems like a fool proof way to test the contents. Then you would know for sure if it is a decoration or the gravel.
I only have one bucket, but I’ve started w one decoration tonight. If it passes, the gravel is next as that’s the only thing I’ve not removed thru all these water changes w high ammonia as a result. This is insane! I’ve never seen anything like this in my life & I'm mentally & physically tired at this point. I can’t imagine where all this ammonia is coming from! HUGE water change adding water w 0 ammonia, next day ammonia is 8! With one little fish in the tank. Something is very wrong!
 

Attachments

Mongo75

Valued Member
Messages
336
Reaction score
284
Points
83
Too many pages to go back and re-read, but, what type of bucket are you using for your water changes? Have you tried ruling that out? Is the bucket NFS certified? Could your bucket be the source of the ammonia?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #94

Trice

New Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Points
8
Experience
More than 10 years
Bucket is fine.
Mongo75 said:
Too many pages to go back and re-read, but, what type of bucket are you using for your water changes? Have you tried ruling that out? Is the bucket NFS certified? Could your bucket be the source of the ammonia?
Bucket is fine. I’ve left clean water in it & tested it. Even so, the water isn’t in it long enough to take on that much ammonia. I fill it & dump it straight in the tank.
 

jdhef

Moderator
Messages
14,216
Reaction score
3,232
Points
583
Experience
More than 10 years
Trice said:
Exactly. I only have one bucket so I’ve got one deco in it w fresh tap water that I’ll be testing for ammonia tomorrow after it sits in the fresh water overnight. If that passes the test, the next thing is the gravel. The gravel has been the only component remaining in the tank thru all these water changes w still high ammonia. I got the gravel from Amazon, 20 lbs of it. This brand comes in several colors & no reviews mention it holding ammonia. I’ll post a pic.


Exactly. The Ammo Lock should be gone at this point.


This is my gravel
I can't see that gravel being the problem.

I can only imagine how frustrated you must be.
 

SeanyBaggs123

Well Known Member
Messages
890
Reaction score
755
Points
103
Experience
Just started
IF the fish is still acting normally, eating, and has no visual signs of stress I have to agree with @jdhef and @Skavatar.

I still stand behind ammolock or something in your beneficial bacteria as the cause of your odd test results. Your test kit doesn't distinguish between ammonia and ammonium. If the fish is fine..... trust your eyeballs and ignore the color chart.

Most of these bottled bacterias recommend that you DON'T test your water for this very reason. The results will be all over the place. Just my opinion.

Edit: The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the reagents in your test kit are expired. Have you checked the bottles for an expiration date?
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,387
Reaction score
8,192
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
I am probably reaching for straws here but do any of y'all think the acrylic coating on the gravel could have anything to do with what is happening here? Like maybe a bad batch of acrylic paint used or the acrylic on the gravel absorbed the ammo-lock and is now releasing it.. I don't know if anything like that is possible but if it isn't the gravel I am totally out of ideas.
GlennO said:
Also coming in late to the thread but, have you verified your test results? With a different test kit?
I have to think the testing solution is alright since it will register 0 ammonia when testing tap water.

@Trice Do you still have some of the gravel that hasn't been added to the tank. This experiment would be better on fresh gravel but if it is all in the tank just scoop some of it out. Put it in a container of fresh dechlorinated water. Run your ammonia test on it immediately and than again in 24 hours. This will either prove or disprove the gravel being the problem.

I was reading the reviews on this product and from what I am reading the pebbles used to make this are fairly soft. They recommend washing really really well to get all the rock dust off of it. Some of the reviewers say a lot of their pebbles were crushed into dust. I have used a lot of different aquarium gravel through the years and all it has ever taken is a quick rinse and it is ready to use. Also, I would be hard pressed to be able to crush any of it.
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,792
Reaction score
3,642
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Something doesn't fit here. An ammonia at >8ppm would kill anything in the tank at a pH of 7.2.
Your tap water tests at 0 ppm.
Your ammonia tested at 8ppm despite an 80% water change?
Yet the SEACHEM AMMONIA ALERT you have stuck on the side of your tank in the picture you posted yesterday indicates an undetectable level of ammonia in the tank....
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom