I Give Up! Ammonia Issue

Trice

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok ty. How much of a water change should I do at this point?
Zka17 said:
I never used Ammo-lock, but my understanding is that it is for emergency situations, until you can do a water change - so, I would not use it regularly...

Keep up with the water changes, with the tap water, and use Prime 1ml/10 gallon for every 1ppm ammonia. It will bound/detoxify ammonia - which will show up during testing, but won't harm the fish - for 2 days, then do water change...

Start using some bacteria additives to establish the beneficial colony...
k t

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How’s the parrot look? Is it distressed? Yes ammonia that high would have killed it by now. I believe ammo lock turns ammonia into harmless ammonium. But a ammonia test will still read it as ammonia. I would remove the ammolock and do a 70% water change. Let it sit and do another ammonia test. If still that high remove the gravel.

Trice

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, she looks stressed & it’s so upsetting. I have been thru the ringer w this tank for 3 weeks now & I’m mentally exhausted. Is there something I can clean the gravel with if that’s what’s holding this ammonia? My last water change was 75% & the ammonia reading was an 8. So maybe it is the gravel holding the ammonia. Can I somehow clean it so I can return it to the tank?
86 ssinit said:
How’s the parrot look? Is it distressed? Yes ammonia that high would have killed it by now. I believe ammo lock turns ammonia into harmless ammonium. But a ammonia test will still read it as ammonia. I would remove the ammolock and do a 70% water change. Let it sit and do another ammonia test. If still that high remove the gravel.
rs

Is there something I can safely clean the gravel with if this is the source of the high ammonia so I can clean it & return it to the tank?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Trice said:
Is there something I can safely clean the gravel with if this is the source of the high ammonia so I can clean it & return it to the tank?
If it is the gravel leaching ammonia water changes will get it down. There is nothing you can clean the gravel with that will stop it leaching ammonia. I can't imagine the gravel causing this though. I can't say that I have ever heard of normal aquarium gravel leaching ammonia but I guess there is a first time for everything.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it’s causing the ammonia no it won’t be able to go back in the tank. First thing first remove the ammolock and do a water change. Wait a few hrs test again. If its down it was the ammo lock if still high it’s the gravel. Or something on the tank. Could it have been resealed? Did you buy it new?

Trice

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
86 ssinit said:
If it’s causing the ammonia no it won’t be able to go back in the tank. First thing first remove the ammolock and do a water change. Wait a few hrs test again. If its down it was the ammo lock if still high it’s the gravel. Or something on the tank. Could it have been resealed? Did you buy it new?
Yes, I bought it new from Amazon

Trice

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kathryn Crook said:
Hmm...with off the chart ammonia, you should also have off the chart nitrates I think with a cycled tank? It just sounds completely uncycled. Some nitrites should be there too maybe?
You would think but I don’t think the tank has cycled yet...properly anyway. I just don’t understand how I can do a 75% water change using water of ammonia 0 & result with an ammonia of 8 in the tank immediately following the water change! Even if SOME ammonia remained in the tank after the water change, no way should it be as high as 8. This is the craziest thing ever!

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Trice said:
You would think but I don’t think the tank has cycled yet...properly anyway. I just don’t understand how I can do a 75% water change using water of ammonia 0 & result with an ammonia of 8 in the tank immediately following the water change! Even if SOME ammonia remained in the tank after the water change, no way should it be as high as 8. This is the craziest thing ever!
You are right! That is crazy! If you didnt have the fish, I would recommend no water changes. I doubt you have a place to temp home the parrot till your tank cycles through?BUT! If your ammonia doesnt change even with water changes? Why bother?
Maybe stop stressing the ammonia and just do a 50% change like normal. You sure your test is accurate?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Trice said:
I will try to explain better what I m trying to say. Over and over and over I have seen folks come here reporting that their ammonia is reading 8ppm. Not 7ppm or 9ppm but always 8ppm after using ammo-lock.

I have to think there was still some of the ammo-lock in the water even after the 75% water change if you are sill seeing 8ppm ammonia. One little fish could have in no way produced that much ammonia. It just isn't possible.

Maybe what happened was your ammonia started showing up. Some from your little guy and some from your source water. You added Prime to detox that ammonia. When you tested the water you were still seeing ammonia. You got worried at that point and added ammo-lock. You didnt realize that Prime wouldn't be removing the ammonia. it would just be i a safer form. A form that the tests will still pick up.

After using Prime the ammonia is still there and available as food for your growing bacteria but is in a safer form and will still register in your test.

The only thing I can recommend is water changes. 50% every day would not be too much. If after 3 or 4 days of 50% water changes you are still seeing 8ppm ammonia then we have to think there is something leaching ammonia in this tank.

@86 ssinit ask you if this is a new tank or if you bought it used. I may have missed it but I've not seen the answer. We are all trying to get to the bottom of this problem and only ask question to farther help you. Without answers we are all just shooting in the dark hoping to hit upon something.

Do you have any kind of decorations in there? Anything other than the gravel substrate?

edited to add: I just found your other thread. I came across this (I have two very small blood parrots & a very small cat fish in there.) Did you lose one blood parrot and the small catfish?

The very best advice I can give you is don't add anything to this tank other than fresh clean water that has been treated with Prime. It is going to take several water changes to get the locked up ammonia down to safe levels for your one remaining fish.

Once you get the ammonia down you may want to consider getting a bottle of Tetra Safe Start +. Add it the day after you have gotten the ammonia down to no more than .50 Lower is better but sometimes difficult to achieve. I say the day after because from all I have read Prime can interfere with the TSS+ if they are both added on the same day.

Trice

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kathryn Crook said:
You are right! That is crazy! If you didnt have the fish, I would recommend no water changes. I doubt you have a place to temp home the parrot till your tank cycles through?BUT! If your ammonia doesnt change even with water changes? Why bother?
Maybe stop stressing the ammonia and just do a 50% change like normal. You sure your test is accurate?
No, I don’t

mattgirl said:
I will try to explain better what I m trying to say. Over and over and over I have seen folks come here reporting that their ammonia is reading 8ppm. Not 7ppm or 9ppm but always 8ppm after using ammo-lock.

I have to think there was still some of the ammo-lock in the water even after the 75% water change if you are sill seeing 8ppm ammonia. One little fish could have in no way produced that much ammonia. It just isn't possible.

Maybe what happened was your ammonia started showing up. Some from your little guy and some from your source water. You added Prime to detox that ammonia. When you tested the water you were still seeing ammonia. You got worried at that point and added ammo-lock. You didnt realize that Prime wouldn't be removing the ammonia. it would just be i a safer form. A form that the tests will still pick up.

After using Prime the ammonia is still there and available as food for your growing bacteria but is in a safer form and will still register in your test.

The only thing I can recommend is water changes. 50% every day would not be too much. If after 3 or 4 days of 50% water changes you are still seeing 8ppm ammonia then we have to think there is something leaching ammonia in this tank.

@86 ssinit ask you if this is a new tank or if you bought it used. I may have missed it but I've not seen the answer. We are all trying to get to the bottom of this problem and only ask question to farther help you. Without answers we are all just shooting in the dark hoping to hit upon something.

Do you have any kind of decorations in there? Anything other than the gravel substrate?

edited to add: I just found your other thread. I came across this (I have two very small blood parrots & a very small cat fish in there.) Did you lose one blood parrot and the small catfish?

The very best advice I can give you is don't add anything to this tank other than fresh clean water that has been treated with Prime. It is going to take several water changes to get the locked up ammonia down to safe levels for your one remaining fish.

Once you get the ammonia down you may want to consider getting a bottle of Tetra Safe Start +. Add it the day after you have gotten the ammonia down to no more than .50 Lower is better but sometimes difficult to achieve. I say the day after because from all I have read Prime can interfere with the TSS+ if they are both added on the same day.
Okay ty so much! All that’s in the tank right now is the substrate & 1 decoration she likes to hide in. I bought the tank, filter, substrate, decorations...all brand new.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Trice said:
Okay ty so much! All that’s in the tank right now is the substrate & 1 decoration she likes to hide in. I bought the tank, filter, substrate, decorations...all brand new.
Since everything was new we can cross contamination that my have been done by a previous owner off the list of possibilities.

What is the decoration? I know one lady had a fake skull her kids gave her for her tank. Come to find out it caused nothing but problems in her tank. Sadly in this day and time we can't always trust things sold as aquarium deco to be actually safe to use.

I would be tempted to remove even that deco and maybe replace it with a few silk plants. Just about any of them should be safe to use in your tank after being washed well with hot water and then dipped in some clean dechlorinated water before putting them in the tank.

Stress can kill fish and I would think it would be stressful having no place to hide when frightened.

Again, my main advice in this situation is water changes. Big ones and lots of them until the only thing left in there is fresh water treated with Prime. I am thinking I read in your other thread that you had added both ammo-lock and some other ammonia blocking product. All of the ammonia in there was locked up. Bacteria can't eat locked up ammonia so it just keep going up.

Sadly all the cleaning you did removed most if not all of the bacteria you had grown up to that point so you are basically starting from scratch.

I would be very tempted to remove the little guy and do close to a 100% water change. Be sure to stir the gravel while siphoning the water out to help get out everything that might be lurking in it.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok this happens a lot on this site. Being your new to the hobby. What happened is when adding fish to a new tank your doing a fish in cycle. So you have to do usually daily water changes or every other day. All according to your test results. This may go on for three plus weeks. Until your tests read good than check less and less making sure your water has stabilized.When stable always do at least a 30% weekly water change.
When starting a new tank it’s allways water changing. The ammo-lock will just mess things up.

Nobote

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Trice said:
I’m CERTAIN it’s the ammonia test. Believe me when I tell u I am losing my mind. My tap water is now reading 0. A couple weeks ago it was .50 & I reported it to the apartment manager who called the water company so they must have fixed it! Either way, the ammonia in the tank is still thru the roof after doing 3-4 water changes. Idk to do at this point. I’m beside myself. I’ve had fish tanks before & have NEVER seen anything like this in my life!
They probably didnt "fix" your tapwater unless the Apt manager is filtering prior to entry into the building.
More likely you have tapwater that varies in quality.
Depending on source your water can vary alot or not at all.

I work in a laboratory and managing and buffering water quality can be half my life some days.

Trice

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mattgirl said:
Since everything was new we can cross contamination that my have been done by a previous owner off the list of possibilities.

What is the decoration? I know one lady had a fake skull her kids gave her for her tank. Come to find out it caused nothing but problems in her tank. Sadly in this day and time we can't always trust things sold as aquarium deco to be actually safe to use.

I would be tempted to remove even that deco and maybe replace it with a few silk plants. Just about any of them should be safe to use in your tank after being washed well with hot water and then dipped in some clean dechlorinated water before putting them in the tank.

Stress can kill fish and I would think it would be stressful having no place to hide when frightened.

Again, my main advice in this situation is water changes. Big ones and lots of them until the only thing left in there is fresh water treated with Prime. I am thinking I read in your other thread that you had added both ammo-lock and some other ammonia blocking product. All of the ammonia in there was locked up. Bacteria can't eat locked up ammonia so it just keep going up.

Sadly all the cleaning you did removed most if not all of the bacteria you had grown up to that point so you are basically starting from scratch.

I would be very tempted to remove the little guy and do close to a 100% water change. Be sure to stir the gravel while siphoning the water out to help get out everything that might be lurking in it.
The decoration is a haunted house purchased at PetSmart with all the other fish decorations. Every time I change the water I vacuum the gravel.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom