I Give Up! Ammonia Issue - Page 2

Kathryn Crook

Trice said:
They are both 0
Hmm...with off the chart ammonia, you should also have off the chart nitrates I think with a cycled tank? It just sounds completely uncycled. Some nitrites should be there too maybe? Try some Tetra safe start or equivalent to jump start your cycle. The tank is very new after all, it can't hurt.

Trice

Kathryn Crook said:
Hmm...with off the chart ammonia, you should also have off the chart nitrates I think with a cycled tank? It just sounds completely uncycled. Some nitrites should be there too maybe?
You would think but I don’t think the tank has cycled yet...properly anyway. I just don’t understand how I can do a 75% water change using water of ammonia 0 & result with an ammonia of 8 in the tank immediately following the water change! Even if SOME ammonia remained in the tank after the water change, no way should it be as high as 8. This is the craziest thing ever!

Kathryn Crook

Trice said:
You would think but I don’t think the tank has cycled yet...properly anyway. I just don’t understand how I can do a 75% water change using water of ammonia 0 & result with an ammonia of 8 in the tank immediately following the water change! Even if SOME ammonia remained in the tank after the water change, no way should it be as high as 8. This is the craziest thing ever!
You are right! That is crazy! If you didnt have the fish, I would recommend no water changes. I doubt you have a place to temp home the parrot till your tank cycles through?BUT! If your ammonia doesn't change even with water changes? Why bother?
Maybe stop stressing the ammonia and just do a 50% change like normal. You sure your test is accurate?

mattgirl

Trice said:
I will try to explain better what I m trying to say. Over and over and over I have seen folks come here reporting that their ammonia is reading 8ppm. Not 7ppm or 9ppm but always 8ppm after using ammo-lock.

I have to think there was still some of the ammo-lock in the water even after the 75% water change if you are sill seeing 8ppm ammonia. One little fish could have in no way produced that much ammonia. It just isn't possible.

Maybe what happened was your ammonia started showing up. Some from your little guy and some from your source water. You added Prime to detox that ammonia. When you tested the water you were still seeing ammonia. You got worried at that point and added ammo-lock. You didnt realize that Prime wouldn't be removing the ammonia. it would just be I a safer form. A form that the tests will still pick up.

After using Prime the ammonia is still there and available as food for your growing bacteria but is in a safer form and will still register in your test.

The only thing I can recommend is water changes. 50% every day would not be too much. If after 3 or 4 days of 50% water changes you are still seeing 8ppm ammonia then we have to think there is something leaching ammonia in this tank.

86 ssinit ask you if this is a new tank or if you bought it used. I may have missed it but I've not seen the answer. We are all trying to get to the bottom of this problem and only ask question to farther help you. Without answers we are all just shooting in the dark hoping to hit upon something.

Do you have any kind of decorations in there? Anything other than the gravel substrate?

edited to add: I just found your other thread. I came across this (I have two very small blood parrots & a very small cat fish in there.) Did you lose one blood parrot and the small catfish?

The very best advice I can give you is don't add anything to this tank other than fresh clean water that has been treated with Prime. It is going to take several water changes to get the locked up ammonia down to safe levels for your one remaining fish.

Once you get the ammonia down you may want to consider getting a bottle of Tetra Safe Start +. Add it the day after you have gotten the ammonia down to no more than .50 Lower is better but sometimes difficult to achieve. I say the day after because from all I have read Prime can interfere with the TSS+ if they are both added on the same day.

Trice

Kathryn Crook said:
You are right! That is crazy! If you didnt have the fish, I would recommend no water changes. I doubt you have a place to temp home the parrot till your tank cycles through?BUT! If your ammonia doesn't change even with water changes? Why bother?
Maybe stop stressing the ammonia and just do a 50% change like normal. You sure your test is accurate?
No, I don’t

mattgirl said:
I will try to explain better what I m trying to say. Over and over and over I have seen folks come here reporting that their ammonia is reading 8ppm. Not 7ppm or 9ppm but always 8ppm after using ammo-lock.

I have to think there was still some of the ammo-lock in the water even after the 75% water change if you are sill seeing 8ppm ammonia. One little fish could have in no way produced that much ammonia. It just isn't possible.

Maybe what happened was your ammonia started showing up. Some from your little guy and some from your source water. You added Prime to detox that ammonia. When you tested the water you were still seeing ammonia. You got worried at that point and added ammo-lock. You didnt realize that Prime wouldn't be removing the ammonia. it would just be I a safer form. A form that the tests will still pick up.

After using Prime the ammonia is still there and available as food for your growing bacteria but is in a safer form and will still register in your test.

The only thing I can recommend is water changes. 50% every day would not be too much. If after 3 or 4 days of 50% water changes you are still seeing 8ppm ammonia then we have to think there is something leaching ammonia in this tank.

86 ssinit ask you if this is a new tank or if you bought it used. I may have missed it but I've not seen the answer. We are all trying to get to the bottom of this problem and only ask question to farther help you. Without answers we are all just shooting in the dark hoping to hit upon something.

Do you have any kind of decorations in there? Anything other than the gravel substrate?

edited to add: I just found your other thread. I came across this (I have two very small blood parrots & a very small cat fish in there.) Did you lose one blood parrot and the small catfish?

The very best advice I can give you is don't add anything to this tank other than fresh clean water that has been treated with Prime. It is going to take several water changes to get the locked up ammonia down to safe levels for your one remaining fish.

Once you get the ammonia down you may want to consider getting a bottle of Tetra Safe Start +. Add it the day after you have gotten the ammonia down to no more than .50 Lower is better but sometimes difficult to achieve. I say the day after because from all I have read Prime can interfere with the TSS+ if they are both added on the same day.
Okay ty so much! All that’s in the tank right now is the substrate & 1 decoration she likes to hide in. I bought the tank, filter, substrate, decorations...all brand new.

mattgirl

Trice said:
Okay ty so much! All that’s in the tank right now is the substrate & 1 decoration she likes to hide in. I bought the tank, filter, substrate, decorations...all brand new.
Since everything was new we can cross contamination that my have been done by a previous owner off the list of possibilities.

What is the decoration? I know one lady had a fake skull her kids gave her for her tank. Come to find out it caused nothing but problems in her tank. Sadly in this day and time we can't always trust things sold as aquarium deco to be actually safe to use.

I would be tempted to remove even that deco and maybe replace it with a few silk plants. Just about any of them should be safe to use in your tank after being washed well with hot water and then dipped in some clean dechlorinated water before putting them in the tank.

Stress can kill fish and I would think it would be stressful having no place to hide when frightened.

Again, my main advice in this situation is water changes. Big ones and lots of them until the only thing left in there is fresh water treated with Prime. I am thinking I read in your other thread that you had added both ammo-lock and some other ammonia blocking product. All of the ammonia in there was locked up. Bacteria can't eat locked up ammonia so it just keep going up.

Sadly all the cleaning you did removed most if not all of the bacteria you had grown up to that point so you are basically starting from scratch.

I would be very tempted to remove the little guy and do close to a 100% water change. Be sure to stir the gravel while siphoning the water out to help get out everything that might be lurking in it.

86 ssinit

Ok this happens a lot on this site. Being your new to the hobby. What happened is when adding fish to a new tank your doing a fish in cycle. So you have to do usually daily water changes or every other day. All according to your test results. This may go on for three plus weeks. Until your tests read good than check less and less making sure your water has stabilized.When stable always do at least a 30% weekly water change.
When starting a new tank it’s allways water changing. The ammo-lock will just mess things up.

Nobote

Trice said:
I’m CERTAIN it’s the ammonia test. Believe me when I tell u I am losing my mind. My tap water is now reading 0. A couple weeks ago it was .50 & I reported it to the apartment manager who called the water company so they must have fixed it! Either way, the ammonia in the tank is still thru the roof after doing 3-4 water changes. Idk to do at this point. I’m beside myself. I’ve had fish tanks before & have NEVER seen anything like this in my life!
They probably didnt "fix" your tap water unless the Apt manager is filtering prior to entry into the building.
More likely you have tap water that varies in quality.
Depending on source your water can vary a lot or not at all.

I work in a laboratory and managing and buffering water quality can be half my life some days.

Trice

mattgirl said:
Since everything was new we can cross contamination that my have been done by a previous owner off the list of possibilities.

What is the decoration? I know one lady had a fake skull her kids gave her for her tank. Come to find out it caused nothing but problems in her tank. Sadly in this day and time we can't always trust things sold as aquarium deco to be actually safe to use.

I would be tempted to remove even that deco and maybe replace it with a few silk plants. Just about any of them should be safe to use in your tank after being washed well with hot water and then dipped in some clean dechlorinated water before putting them in the tank.

Stress can kill fish and I would think it would be stressful having no place to hide when frightened.

Again, my main advice in this situation is water changes. Big ones and lots of them until the only thing left in there is fresh water treated with Prime. I am thinking I read in your other thread that you had added both ammo-lock and some other ammonia blocking product. All of the ammonia in there was locked up. Bacteria can't eat locked up ammonia so it just keep going up.

Sadly all the cleaning you did removed most if not all of the bacteria you had grown up to that point so you are basically starting from scratch.

I would be very tempted to remove the little guy and do close to a 100% water change. Be sure to stir the gravel while siphoning the water out to help get out everything that might be lurking in it.
The decoration is a haunted house purchased at PetSmart with all the other fish decorations. Every time I change the water I vacuum the gravel.

mattgirl

Trice said:
The decoration is a haunted house purchased at PetSmart with all the other fish decorations. Every time I change the water I vacuum the gravel.
It may be fine. The only thing I can suggest is water changes to get the ammonia down.

DarkOne

Most likely not the gravel. It's new and made for aquariums.

What are you using to test the water?

Are there any other fish in the tank? What are you feeding the BP? How much?

Don't panic and dump a ton of chemicals in your tank to try to fix it. That usually causes more harm than good.

Momgoose56

Your tank is still cycling. That is the only reason you have ammonia persisting in your tank. A cycled tank will eliminate ammonia originating from the tap water or from fish waste. Bottled water won't make any difference in that case.
Ammolock and Prime do the exact same thing. They both dechlorinate and bind low levels of ammonia/nitrites into a form harmless to fish. You need to use one or the other but not both. Ammolock has to be dosed daily and to treat replacement water, Prime is dosed every 48 hours and to treat replacement water.
I think the ammonia reading of 8 ppm was an error. Your fish would have died within minutes with an ammonia level that high. What are your pH, nitrite and nitrate levels?

Trice

So yesterday I did at least an 80% water change. I added a whole bottle of Colony to get the cycling straight & Seachem Stability & Seachem Prime to protect my fish. This was yesterday. I have just used my API test kit to check the ammonia & it is at 8!!!! I cannot get rid of this ammonia! I hate to change the water again bc I added Colony to get the cycling moving. So if I change the water again I’ll be losing the good bacteria I just added. I tested my tap water prior to filling the tank back up & the ammonia was 0. Where on earth is all this ammonia coming from? While changing the water, I started at the bottom & thoroughly vacuumed the debris from the gravel. It’s practically a whole tank of new water & the ammonia is 8!!!! Please advise.

MrBryan723

Tank size and population?
Could also be from the bacteria in a bottle. If it's dead(common) it will cause a spike.
Test your tap water to see what it reads.
Daily water changes are almost a must with fish in cycles, sometimes twice a day.

Trice

MrBryan723 said:
Tank size and population?
Could also be from the bacteria in a bottle. If it's dead(common) it will cause a spike.
Test your tap water to see what it reads.
Daily water changes are almost a must with fish in cycles, sometimes twice a day.
29 gallon, blood parrot, tap water ammonia 0

MrBryan723

A single fish? Those do get pretty large so it could very well be producing it. Prime is a temporary fix you can use to keep it reasonable while you cycle. But definitely do the water changes. Bottle bacteria is useless in the water column anyways so I wouldnt worry about that. Next time you use it if you decide to use it, put it directly in the filter and turn the filter off for 30 min or so.

SeanyBaggs123

Do you have a picture?
Maybe we can identify something you're not seeing...

I agree with MrBryan723 though that bottled bacteria can cause funky water tests for a multitude of reasons including dead bacteria causing ammonia spikes.
Some bacteria's like tetra safe start plus won't work if you condition the water with prime.
They're all different and so many people have different experiences with them

I've never heard of Colony.
Did you precisely follow the instructions on the bottle? Does it say anything about using water conditioners or which ones can be used in conjunction with it?

How are the fish behaving?

Edit: I would also add that a Blood Parrot is, or will become, far too large for that size tank. To put things in perspective I cycled my 60 gallon tank with 1 tiger barb (3/4 inch in size) and then moved up from there. You're cycling a small tank with a large and messy fish. Hard to do.

Skavatar

from your previous thread your pH is 6.5 which means a good amount of the ammonia is actually the less toxic form of ammonium.

is your blood parrot currently acting strange? stress? difficulty breathing?

with the API test, are you shaking the bottles very well?

Trice

My pH is finally up now for the first time! Yes, I’m shaking the bottles very well before running the test. The parrot since day 1 has been hiding from me. I had a large tank in the past w 3 parrots & I'm not used to them behaving this way. They’re usually friendly & mine used to take food from my lips. I never even get to see this fish

No, the bottle did not mention anything about using other conditioners. I found out about using Colony from another thread here that had a link to Amazon so I got it & used it yesterday. The bottle just said to shake vigorously which I did.

SeanyBaggs123

The Blood Parrot's behavior is odd I suppose. Is he still eating? How long have you had him?

Also, Skavatar brings up a really good point. Your test kit likely doesn't distinguish between ammonia and ammonium. The bacterial starter is probably the root of your test results if you tested the water the same day as the 80% water change. I'd probably give it a week or so and test again unless the fish starts showing obvious signs of illness.

I have successfully done fish in cycles twice now, but the uncertainty of test results when using bacteria starters is exactly why my reef build will be a fishless cycle

Trice

SeanyBaggs123 said:
Do you have a picture?
Maybe we can identify something you're not seeing...

I agree with MrBryan723 though that bottled bacteria can cause funky water tests for a multitude of reasons including dead bacteria causing ammonia spikes.
Some bacteria's like tetra safe start plus won't work if you condition the water with prime.
They're all different and so many people have different experiences with them

I've never heard of Colony.
Did you precisely follow the instructions on the bottle? Does it say anything about using water conditioners or which ones can be used in conjunction with it?

How are the fish behaving?

Edit: I would also add that a Blood Parrot is, or will become, far too large for that size tank. To put things in perspective I cycled my 60 gallon tank with 1 tiger barb (3/4 inch in size) and then moved up from there. You're cycling a small tank with a large and messy fish. Hard to do.
SeanyBaggs123 said:
The Blood Parrot's behavior is odd I suppose. Is he still eating? How long have you had him?

Also, Skavatar brings up a really good point. Your test kit likely doesn't distinguish between ammonia and ammonium. The bacterial starter is probably the root of your test results if you tested the water the same day as the 80% water change. I'd probably give it a week or so and test again unless the fish starts showing obvious signs of illness.

I have successfully done fish in cycles twice now, but the uncertainty of test results when using bacteria starters is exactly why my reef build will be a fishless cycle
Yes, he does come out of the house to eat but does so reluctantly as he acts like he’s terrified of me. Not like any parrot I’ve ever owned before.

Oh! I’ve had him a couple weeks

SeanyBaggs123

The water looks cloudy... so that's a good sign.

If he's still eating after a couple weeks and looks fine I would do one of two things:

1. Stop using the beneficial bacteria. Perform 50% water changes every other day, and dose prime after the WC's until you're cycled.

2. Trust the beneficial bacteria you bought, stop testing for a week and re-evaluate at that time.

Coradee

Several threads have been merged to keep all the information is in one place & members can see what’s already been advised.

Trice

SeanyBaggs123 said:
The water looks cloudy... so that's a good sign.

If he's still eating after a couple weeks and looks fine I would do one of two things:

1. Stop using the beneficial bacteria. Perform 50% water changes every other day, and dose prime after the WC's until you're cycled.

2. Trust the beneficial bacteria you bought, stop testing for a week and re-evaluate at that time.
Ok ty! U only add the beneficial bacteria once & that’s already been done yesterday. I’ll use the Prime but should I also use the Stability w the water changes?

SeanyBaggs123

Trice said:
Ok ty! U only add the beneficial bacteria once & that’s already been done yesterday. I’ll use the Prime but should I also use the Stability w the water changes?
I re-read my post and see how it could be confusing.

I propose you do one or the other of the two options above. Not both.

Either trust the bacteria and stop water changing/testing for a week.

OR

50% Water change every other day and dose prime until you're cycled.

Trice

P
Momgoose56 said:
Your tank is still cycling. That is the only reason you have ammonia persisting in your tank. A cycled tank will eliminate ammonia originating from the tap water or from fish waste. Bottled water won't make any difference in that case.
Ammolock and Prime do the exact same thing. They both dechlorinate and bind low levels of ammonia/nitrites into a form harmless to fish. You need to use one or the other but not both. Ammolock has to be dosed daily and to treat replacement water, Prime is dosed every 48 hours and to treat replacement water.
I think the ammonia reading of 8 ppm was an error. Your fish would have died within minutes with an ammonia level that high. What are your pH, nitrite and nitrate levels?
pH 7.2, nitrites & nitrates 0. I have rerun the ammonia test & it’s still an 8 w practically a whole new tank of clean water!

SeanyBaggs123 said:
I re-read my post and see how it could be confusing.

I propose you do one or the other of the two options above. Not both.

Either trust the bacteria and stop water changing/testing for a week.

OR

50% Water change every other day and dose prime until you're cycled.
Ok ty!

Trice

Second ammonia test

jdhef

If your ammonia level is 8ppm, there's a pretty good chance that it killed off the bacteria you added. But I can't figure out where all that ammonia would be coming from.

If it were me, I would not use both Stability and Colony, since they will be competing against each other.

mattgirl

That one little fish is not producing all this ammonia. I have suggested before that the deco you have in there may be leaching ammonia. You won't know unless you remove all of it.

Although the pieces were sold as aquarium decorations they may not be tank safe. We can't know who made them or where they were made. Sadly it seems the almighty dollar is more important than the health of our fish.

More than once folks have come here with numbers that will not go down no matter what they do. The numbers just keep going up no matter how much water they change. They remove some things from the tank and the rise in ammonia or nitrites or nitrates (whatever the problem they are having is) go down where they are supposed to be.

The one that had me scratching my head the longest was a lady with high nitrites. Even daily 100% water changes wouldn't budge them. She removed the deco she had bought that was made for aquarium use. She did her water change and the nitrites zeroed out never to be seen again..

By adding this and that to the tank neither you nor we can know what is causing the problems. I highly recommend you remove the deco you have in this tank. Once done do a 75% or even more water change. Add nothing but Prime.

check the numbers the next day. If the ammonia is still high but is less do another big water change and again add nothing but Prime.

If doing all of this doesn't bring the ammonia level down at least some then I am at a total as to what is happening. Does anyone other than you have access to this tank? Just wondering, is sabotage is a possibility?

86 ssinit

Yes as mattgirl says it’s something in the tank. I’d go buy a 5 gal tank and move the fish into it. Clean out you filter and add it to that tank. Than remove everything from the tank. Put each decoration in its own bucket and all the gravel in a bucket. Fill these buckets with new water and empty and refil the tank. Wait a day and recheck all buckets and tank. See what has the ammonia. Also check the 5gal. Right now this is the only way to solve the problem.

Trice

jdhef said:
If your ammonia level is 8ppm, there's a pretty good chance that it killed off the bacteria you added. But I can't figure out where all that ammonia would be coming from.

If it were me, I would not use both Stability and Colony, since they will be competing against each other.
I for the life of me cannot figure out where all that ammonia would be coming from either! When I did the water change yesterday, I added the Prime & Colony to one of the buckets of fresh water I was adding to the tank which had ammonia 0. I vacuumed the gravel thoroughly & left just enough water in the tank for the fish to swim, so we’re talking about nearly a whole fresh tank of water! So how on earth can the ammonia be 8???? This makes no sense. I’ve been battling ammonia for weeks now. I thought for sure after yesterday’s water change this would finally be fixed!

mattgirl said:
That one little fish is not producing all this ammonia. I have suggested before that the deco you have in there may be leaching ammonia. You won't know unless you remove all of it.

Although the pieces were sold as aquarium decorations they may not be tank safe. We can't know who made them or where they were made. Sadly it seems the almighty dollar is more important than the health of our fish.

More than once folks have come here with numbers that will not go down no matter what they do. The numbers just keep going up no matter how much water they change. They remove some things from the tank and the rise in ammonia or nitrites or nitrates (whatever the problem they are having is) go down where they are supposed to be.

The one that had me scratching my head the longest was a lady with high nitrites. Even daily 100% water changes wouldn't budge them. She removed the deco she had bought that was made for aquarium use. She did her water change and the nitrites zeroed out never to be seen again..

By adding this and that to the tank neither you nor we can know what is causing the problems. I highly recommend you remove the deco you have in this tank. Once done do a 75% or even more water change. Add nothing but Prime.

check the numbers the next day. If the ammonia is still high but is less do another big water change and again add nothing but Prime.

If doing all of this doesn't bring the ammonia level down at least some then I am at a total as to what is happening. Does anyone other than you have access to this tank? Just wondering, is sabotage is a possibility?
I did try removing all the deco last week & it made no difference. Ammonia was still too high so when I did the water change yesterday I put it back in after soaking it for an hour in 10% bleach solution then overnight in clean water. I'm the only one w access to the tank other than my daughter who doesn’t touch it whatsoever. She’s just as upset as I am that I can’t get this water right.

mattgirl

Did you do a big water change after you removed the deco?

I wasn't really serious about sabotage and was just reaching for straws

JessicaSwanlake

Something I noticed looking at this thread was that your test only goes up to 8ppm ammonia. Have you ever checked with a test that had a color for higher than 8 ammonia?
Just spitballing here, but if you had say...something nuts like 250ppm ammonia that was the non-toxic kind bound by the ammo-lock you were using you could do 50% WCs every day for 2 weeks and it would still always show 8ppm since that is the max your test goes and your fish is still going to be producing more ammonia each day.
If that is the case you should be getting close to being under 8ppm.

mlash

Trice said:
I for the life of me cannot figure out where all that ammonia would be coming from either! When I did the water change yesterday, I added the Prime & Colony to one of the buckets of fresh water I was adding to the tank which had ammonia 0. I vacuumed the gravel thoroughly & left just enough water in the tank for the fish to swim, so we’re talking about nearly a whole fresh tank of water! So how on earth can the ammonia be 8???? This makes no sense. I’ve been battling ammonia for weeks now. I thought for sure after yesterday’s water change this would finally be fixed!
What kind of filter are you using? Could something be in your filter that is causing all this amonia?

StarGirl

86 ssinit said:
Yes as mattgirl says it’s something in the tank. I’d go buy a 5 gal tank and move the fish into it. Clean out you filter and add it to that tank. Than remove everything from the tank. Put each decoration in its own bucket and all the gravel in a bucket. Fill these buckets with new water and empty and refil the tank. Wait a day and recheck all buckets and tank. See what has the ammonia. Also check the 5gal. Right now this is the only way to solve the problem.
I really would try this one..... It seems like a fool proof way to test the contents. Then you would know for sure if it is a decoration or the gravel.

Skavatar

JessicaSwanlake said:
Something I noticed looking at this thread was that your test only goes up to 8ppm ammonia. Have you ever checked with a test that had a color for higher than 8 ammonia?
Just spitballing here, but if you had say...something nuts like 250ppm ammonia that was the non-toxic kind bound by the ammo-lock you were using you could do 50% WCs every day for 2 weeks and it would still always show 8ppm since that is the max your test goes and your fish is still going to be producing more ammonia each day.
If that is the case you should be getting close to being under 8ppm.
she just did a 75-80% water change yesterday. if it was really 8ppm ammonia and not mostly ammonium, the fish would show severe signs of ammonia poisoning and probably be dead by now.

86 ssinit

Also if Jessica is right and it’s locked up ammonia. My way will clear that too. All new water!

Trice

mlash said:
What kind of filter are you using? Could something be in your filter that is causing all this amonia?
It’s an Aqua Tech 20-40. No issues in the past w this brand filter.

Yes i
mattgirl said:
Did you do a big water change after you removed the deco?

I wasn't really serious about sabotage and was just reaching for straws
Yes, I did the huge water change just yesterday & took all the deco out for a good week & still had high ammonia even without the deco. To be safe, I soaked all the deco in 10% bleach solution then let it soak overnight in fresh water but didn’t return the deco until yesterday after yet another major water change since the deco was ruled out.

mattgirl

Trice said:
Yes i

Yes, I did the huge water change just yesterday & took all the deco out for a good week & still had high ammonia even without the deco. To be safe, I soaked all the deco in 10% bleach solution then let it soak overnight in fresh water but didn’t return the deco until yesterday after yet another major water change since the deco was ruled out.
That does kinda rule out the deco then. I guess the only thing left in there is the gravel. I can't imagine it doing this but the ammonia has to be coming from something other than just the one little fish.

jdhef

I know it seems highly unlikely, but I just keep thinking the ammolock has something to do with it.

I can't see anyway that after that large a water change, that there would be 8ppm of ammonia.

One would think that all the ammolock would be out of the tank at this point, but I can't think of anything else that would cause it.

Trice

mattgirl said:
That does kinda rule out the deco then. I guess the only thing left in there is the gravel. I can't imagine it doing this but the ammonia has to be coming from something other than just the one little fish.
Exactly. I only have one bucket so I’ve got one deco in it w fresh tap water that I’ll be testing for ammonia tomorrow after it sits in the fresh water overnight. If that passes the test, the next thing is the gravel. The gravel has been the only component remaining in the tank thru all these water changes w still high ammonia. I got the gravel from Amazon, 20 lbs of it. This brand comes in several colors & no reviews mention it holding ammonia. I’ll post a pic.

jdhef said:
I know it seems highly unlikely, but I just keep thinking the ammolock has something to do with it.

I can't see anyway that after that large a water change, that there would be 8ppm of ammonia.

One would think that all the ammolock would be out of the tank at this point, but I can't think of anything else that would cause it.
Exactly. The Ammo Lock should be gone at this point.

mattgirl said:
This is my gravel

StarGirl15 said:
I really would try this one..... It seems like a fool proof way to test the contents. Then you would know for sure if it is a decoration or the gravel.
I only have one bucket, but I’ve started w one decoration tonight. If it passes, the gravel is next as that’s the only thing I’ve not removed thru all these water changes w high ammonia as a result. This is insane! I’ve never seen anything like this in my life & I'm mentally & physically tired at this point. I can’t imagine where all this ammonia is coming from! HUGE water change adding water w 0 ammonia, next day ammonia is 8! With one little fish in the tank. Something is very wrong!

Mongo75

Too many pages to go back and re-read, but, what type of bucket are you using for your water changes? Have you tried ruling that out? Is the bucket NFS certified? Could your bucket be the source of the ammonia?

Trice

Bucket is fine.
Mongo75 said:
Too many pages to go back and re-read, but, what type of bucket are you using for your water changes? Have you tried ruling that out? Is the bucket NFS certified? Could your bucket be the source of the ammonia?
Bucket is fine. I’ve left clean water in it & tested it. Even so, the water isn’t in it long enough to take on that much ammonia. I fill it & dump it straight in the tank.

Mongo75

That's cool, just don't remember what had been said on that line.

GlennO

Also coming in late to the thread but, have you verified your test results? With a different test kit?

jdhef

Trice said:
Exactly. I only have one bucket so I’ve got one deco in it w fresh tap water that I’ll be testing for ammonia tomorrow after it sits in the fresh water overnight. If that passes the test, the next thing is the gravel. The gravel has been the only component remaining in the tank thru all these water changes w still high ammonia. I got the gravel from Amazon, 20 lbs of it. This brand comes in several colors & no reviews mention it holding ammonia. I’ll post a pic.

Exactly. The Ammo Lock should be gone at this point.

This is my gravel
I can't see that gravel being the problem.

I can only imagine how frustrated you must be.

SeanyBaggs123

IF the fish is still acting normally, eating, and has no visual signs of stress I have to agree with jdhef and Skavatar.

I still stand behind ammolock or something in your beneficial bacteria as the cause of your odd test results. Your test kit doesn't distinguish between ammonia and ammonium. If the fish is fine..... trust your eyeballs and ignore the color chart.

Most of these bottled bacterias recommend that you DON'T test your water for this very reason. The results will be all over the place. Just my opinion.

Edit: The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the reagents in your test kit are expired. Have you checked the bottles for an expiration date?

mattgirl

I am probably reaching for straws here but do any of y'all think the acrylic coating on the gravel could have anything to do with what is happening here? Like maybe a bad batch of acrylic paint used or the acrylic on the gravel absorbed the ammo-lock and is now releasing it.. I don't know if anything like that is possible but if it isn't the gravel I am totally out of ideas.
GlennO said:
Also coming in late to the thread but, have you verified your test results? With a different test kit?
I have to think the testing solution is alright since it will register 0 ammonia when testing tap water.

Trice Do you still have some of the gravel that hasn't been added to the tank. This experiment would be better on fresh gravel but if it is all in the tank just scoop some of it out. Put it in a container of fresh dechlorinated water. Run your ammonia test on it immediately and than again in 24 hours. This will either prove or disprove the gravel being the problem.

I was reading the reviews on this product and from what I am reading the pebbles used to make this are fairly soft. They recommend washing really really well to get all the rock dust off of it. Some of the reviewers say a lot of their pebbles were crushed into dust. I have used a lot of different aquarium gravel through the years and all it has ever taken is a quick rinse and it is ready to use. Also, I would be hard pressed to be able to crush any of it.

Momgoose56

Something doesn't fit here. An ammonia at >8ppm would kill anything in the tank at a pH of 7.2.
Your tap water tests at 0 ppm.
Your ammonia tested at 8ppm despite an 80% water change?
Yet the SEACHEM AMMONIA ALERT you have stuck on the side of your tank in the picture you posted yesterday indicates an undetectable level of ammonia in the tank....

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom