I Give Up! Ammonia Issue

Trice

New Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Points
8
Experience
More than 10 years
My 29 gallon tank is two weeks old & I've been battling ammonia since day 1. I have done 4 water changes using BOTTLED WATER, which I tested before putting in the tank. The ammonia of the bottled water was 0. Yesterday I did a 75-80% water change using bottled water & the ammonia is still at 8 !!!!! Where is this ammonia coming from? Also yesterday I restarted the tank using Seachem Prime & Seachem Stability. I have two very small blood parrots & a very small cat fish in there. I’ve also tried using Ammo Lock & Ammo Chips plus water changes. I’m at my wit’s end!!! Yesterday I also cleaned out the filter & put in a new cartridge & cleaned the ornaments & plants. How can it have an ammonia of 8 with new bottled water in it? I’m losing my mind!!!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Trice

New Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Points
8
Experience
More than 10 years
No, I didn’t. I used to have a 55-gallon tank & never cycled it & never had any issues so I didn’t know!
 

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,502
Reaction score
7,756
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Why bottled water ??
Can you use your tap??
You need to keep changing water till it goes down ..
Skip feeding every other day until you can get control over the water .
 

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Messages
14,909
Reaction score
17,716
Points
808
Experience
5 to 10 years
Trice said:
No, I didn’t. I used to have a 55-gallon tank & never cycled it & never had any issues so I didn’t know!
That explains your ammonia.

You will continue to have ammonia issues until your tank is cycled which can takes weeks or more. Theres nothing you can to do avoid that. You can add bottled bacteria to try and speed it up....

You also started from scratch when you cleaned the filter. So the 2 weeks you were building up beneficial bacteria have been cancelled out.

Have you researched the nitrogen cycle??

Side note...Do you have plans to upgrade? Blood parrots need a much larger tank than 29g.

Welcome to fishlore by the way!! Lol
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

Trice

New Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Points
8
Experience
More than 10 years
My tap water has ammonia in it!

bizaliz3 said:
That explains your ammonia.

You will continue to have ammonia issues until your tank is cycled which can takes weeks or more. Theres nothing you can to do avoid that. You can add bottled bacteria to try and speed it up....

You also started from scratch when you cleaned the filter. So the 2 weeks you were building up beneficial bacteria have been cancelled out.

Have you researched the nitrogen cycle??

Side note...Do you have plans to upgrade? Blood parrots need a much larger tank than 29g.

Welcome to fishlore by the way!! Lol
I was afraid of that with the filter but cannot find the source of all this ammonia so I’m losing my grip & trying everything to get rid of it!

So what do I do? Just keep adding Ammo Lock?
 

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Messages
14,909
Reaction score
17,716
Points
808
Experience
5 to 10 years
Trice said:
My tap water has ammonia in it!
So does mine. A cycled tank can handle that.

Hopefully your fish can survive the cycling process. I would do small daily water changes with seachem prime until the cycle is complete. And add bottled bacteria

Trice said:
I was afraid of that with the filter but cannot find the source of all this ammonia so I’m losing my grip & trying everything to get rid of it!
The ammonia is being produced by your fish. When your tank is cycled you will have Beneficial bacteria that will eat the ammonia produced.

I highly recommend you do some reading about the nitrogen cycle.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

Trice

New Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Points
8
Experience
More than 10 years
bizaliz3 said:
That explains your ammonia.

You will continue to have ammonia issues until your tank is cycled which can takes weeks or more. Theres nothing you can to do avoid that. You can add bottled bacteria to try and speed it up....

You also started from scratch when you cleaned the filter. So the 2 weeks you were building up beneficial bacteria have been cancelled out.

Have you researched the nitrogen cycle??

Side note...Do you have plans to upgrade? Blood parrots need a much larger tank than 29g.

Welcome to fishlore by the way!! Lol
What kind of bottled bacteria? Do I just keep adding Ammo Lock to protect the fish?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12

Trice

New Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Points
8
Experience
More than 10 years
bizaliz3 said:
8???
Holy cow. That's scary....

How much is in the tap?
I used BOTTLED AT ZERO & did a 75-80% water change. Tested immediately & it was an 8!!!!
 

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Messages
14,909
Reaction score
17,716
Points
808
Experience
5 to 10 years
Trice said:
I used BOTTLED AT ZERO & did a 75-80% water change. Tested immediately & it was an 8!!!!
Theres something wrong with that.

That means you had like 32ppm ammonia before the change....I can't imagine that being possible

I still would like to know the ammonia in your tap please so I can advise you further.
 

hanra85

Valued Member
Messages
221
Reaction score
149
Points
38
Experience
More than 10 years
Agreed, if there were 8 to 32 ppm of ammonia your initial post would have read "I HAD two very small blood parrots & a very small cat fish in there." Could you test your tap water directly, and it feels like an embarrassing thing to ask but are you sure you didn't accidentally test for pH at 8 instead of ammonia. There's a couple things you can do, if you have a friend or your local pet store is willing to donate some media or seeded gravel to kickstart the nitrification process or return the fish until your system is stable. 8ppm is a critically high amount of ammonia, you'd lose the fish regardless if that is an accurate reading and you don't get it sorted out quickly.
 

jdhef

Moderator
Messages
14,219
Reaction score
3,232
Points
583
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore! I hope you find the site helpful. Answering the questions asked will go a long way in getting you problem sorted out
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16

Trice

New Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Points
8
Experience
More than 10 years
I tried posting last weekend but I couldn’t get a clear answer so trying again. My 29 gal tank is 3 weeks old. It has one blood parrot in it. I cannot get the ammonia under control. Last weekend I did a 75-80% water change & used bottled water bc my tap water has ammonia in it. I tested the bottled water first & the ammonia was 0. I then did the water change & as soon as I put the fresh water in there I ran an ammonia test & it was 8!!!!!! How is this possible? I used Seachem Stability & Seachem Prime. I’ve had to add Ammo Lock. I have an ammonia meter stuck to the glass & it is on ALERT. Today, yellow foam bubbles have gone to the surface of the water. I’m at my wit’s end. I’ve done 3-4 water changes using bottled water & the ammonia is still thru the roof! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SOMEONE HELP ME!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18

Trice

New Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Points
8
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m CERTAIN it’s the ammonia test. Believe me when I tell u I am losing my mind. My tap water is now reading 0. A couple weeks ago it was .50 & I reported it to the apartment manager who called the water company so they must have fixed it! Either way, the ammonia in the tank is still thru the roof after doing 3-4 water changes. Idk **** to do at this point. I’m beside myself. I’ve had fish tanks before & have NEVER seen anything like this in my life!
hanra85 said:
Agreed, if there were 8 to 32 ppm of ammonia your initial post would have read "I HAD two very small blood parrots & a very small cat fish in there." Could you test your tap water directly, and it feels like an embarrassing thing to ask but are you sure you didn't accidentally test for pH at 8 instead of ammonia. There's a couple things you can do, if you have a friend or your local pet store is willing to donate some media or seeded gravel to kickstart the nitrification process or return the fish until your system is stable. 8ppm is a critically high amount of ammonia, you'd lose the fish regardless if that is an accurate reading and you don't get it sorted out quickly.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19

Trice

New Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Points
8
Experience
More than 10 years
The parrot is very small...maybe 1.5”. I am using Aqua Tech 20-40 filter. It came with this red grated insert along with a carbon cartridge. I’ve always used this kind of filter tho this red piece is new to me.

The rest is as follows: GH 0, KH 40, pH 6.5, nitrates & nitrites 0. Ammonia 8.0
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom