I found eggs... Now what?

Fishlock Holmes

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Last night I went over to check on my tank and discovered my rams had covered a large piece of slate with eggs! 24 hours later and they all seem to be doing okay. My tank is only about 3 months old, and this is their first time spawning, so I'm not getting my hopes up. However, I figure I should be prepared anyway! I read up on the other posts about spawning rams, and while it was a lot of help, I still have a few questions. Mind you, this is all under the assumption that the babies survive (fingers crossed!!)...

Several things mentioned covering the intake tube of the filter so that it doesn't suck up the babies. What do I use to do this?

What do I feed them? I'm hearing mixed reviews about what they can eat. I have access to a LOT of frozen foods, but am having trouble tracking down liquid fry food. I've read several websites that have recipes to make your own... Has anyone done this successfully?

Also, I'm going to be moving in a month. What do I need to do to prepare these babies for the move?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I cant help I just wanted to say congrats. Those little guys are picky to conditions, having them spawning is a good sign. Hope it all goes goood.

To cover the intake you can use a sponge pre-filter, you can buy it or DYI. Also, I've heard of members that use a new pantihose to cover it.

good luck

Last edited:

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally I think its best to leave them with the parents for a couple of weeks....but the the emporers.....ummm...they only see treats....not babies.

Many dwarf type cichlid breeders agree that the first few weeks with mom and dad get them off to a stronger start.

Last edited:

Fishlock Holmes

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Personally I think its best to leave them with the parents for a couple of weeks....but the the emporers.....ummm...they only see treats....not babies..
I wondered about a tank divider if the babies make it? I'd block off maybe a third of the tank to keep the babies in. Do you think that would leave the other guys too cramped?

chumzhujun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Congratz,
I am a newbie
But i think you should put them in a establish tank with sponge flither as other fish may eat

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom