I Found an Abandoned Snail / Need to know if Shell okay

IFoundASnail

I Found a mystery snail and three fish abandoned in a tank that was taped up and literally all brown water and worms all over. The Guppy and baby died but I was able to surrender the red tail shark and I'm left with Edward the Slurm (Mystery Snail).

I have zero experience with aquariums but have given myself a crash course and gone to multiple aquarium stores trying to give this little guy the best chance in life. After trying to filter his original tank and siphon it, he seemed to get worse so I was told by a professional that he needs a new tank, that one isn't providing good bacteria, understanding I dont have time to cycle it.

So, on day three, I did. I got him a Fluval Spec 5 gallon, new substrate gravel, a real plant. I conditioned the water and rinsed everything three times before putting in. I have it at 76F and last night I bought him shrimp pellets and algae wafers. He doesn't seem to be eating the wafers particularly, cant tell if he is eating the pellets. I put bacteria in from Walmart but started better stuff today: Stability by Seachem.

This morning he was doing the floaty thing (I assume to get away from the water he doesn't like), so I took water and photos to a professional shop and the guy said the "General Metals" test was fine, and that i didn't need to do a pH test and stop worrying? I have ordered tests on amazon but they dont get here till tomorrow. His shell looks to me like it's deteriorating. It looks exactly like nails would look being exposed to acid, but he said it's fine. I took more photos for you guys.

Not sure if I trust this. I told him I've spent $200 in trial and error trying to save these guys, lol. I really want to save this guy and willing to do anything for him, even if it takes all day and more moolah. I'm afraid to put egg shells in the tank cause I read it changes pH.

Please help! Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210909_115630.jpeg
    20210909_115630.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210909_152415.jpeg
    20210909_152415.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 17

StarGirl

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

His shell doesn't look the best but definitely not terrible. His foot looks good! Nice coloring and looks normal. I would wait until you get your test kit to determine if you need anything for his shell.

IFoundASnail

Thank you for the welcome!

So I got the pH tester today and it was 7.1 which I think is good? Im seeing many different numbers everywhere.

I was sure he was dead this morning because he was hanging out of his shell 1/8 inch. I gave him a gentle bop and there was no retraction, although we have thought he was dead before for diff reasons.

It looks closed now but that may have been because I moved it. He's not moved since this morning... so about 10 hours.

I dont want to take him out and smell him because I've poked him enough. I just want to assume he's alive and do what I can. I put fresh cucumber, algae wafers, and shrimp pellets and cant tell if he's ate them. I try to scoop out anything sitting more than 8 hours.

I ordered a cuddebone, but I have no idea what else to do. Youtube had a snailtuber showing what an air bath is and that it can help, nobody is sure why.

Any help or suggestions is so greatly appreciated. I've been at this almost a week and spent $200 trying to do all the right things. Can't tell what I'm doing wrong:(

PS: Should i be scooping out uneaten algae wafers or are those good for the tank?

Thank you again!

So I got the pH tester today and it was 7.1 which I think is good? Im seeing many different numbers everywhere.

I was sure he was dead this morning because he was hanging out of his shell 1/8 inch. I gave him a gentle bop and there was no retraction, although we have thought he was dead before for diff reasons.

It looks closed now but that may have been because I moved it. He's not moved since this morning... so about 10 hours.

I dont want to take him out and smell him because I've poked him enough. I just want to assume he's alive and do what I can. I put fresh cucumber, algae wafers, and shrimp pellets and cant tell if he's ate them. I try to scoop out anything sitting more than 8 hours.

I ordered a cuddebone, but I have no idea what else to do. Youtube had a snailtuber showing what an air bath is and that it can help, nobody is sure why.

Any help or suggestions is so greatly appreciated. I've been at this almost a week and spent $200 trying to do all the right things. Can't tell what I'm doing wrong:(

PS: Should i be scooping out uneaten algae wafers or are those good for the tank?

Thank you again!
PS: The water is hard. I looked at that too.

StarGirl

Thank you again!
Yeah it is just a waiting game when they just stay in one spot. It isnt totally abnormal for them to hole up when in a new environment. Yes I would remove all food that does not get eaten. it will make your ammonia rise on you. Plus it will just get all moldy and gross.

IFoundASnail

I did a more in depth test strip. It doesn't have ammonia on it? What the ..?

Some people say that changing 10% of the water is good but I've only had the tank for two days. Should i just leave it alone or clean the substrate some?

Sorry... I'm obsessed with getting this right, lol.

Attachments

• Strip Test Sep 10.jpeg
    Strip Test Sep 10.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Sep 10 Edward the Slurm.jpeg
    Sep 10 Edward the Slurm.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 5

StarGirl

Yeah the test strips are not very accurate and dont have the most important thing on it...Oh yeah to make you buy those too...lol

Yeah just leave it for a few days. It will be fine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DLoder
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
haydog
  • Question