I Found A Tiny Tiny Snail.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by DK314, May 1, 2019.

1. DK314

DK314Valued MemberMember

This evening I went to check my tank which is fully planted. I turned on the light and took a quick look at everything and thought everything was great. I then noticed something really tiny, about the size of a pencil tip on the glass. I examined closer and noticed that it was a snail. I dont know anything about snails except for the fact that if they go unchecked they can overpopulate very quickly. The shell was a spiral shape. I removed it and closely checked the rest of my tank and didnt see any other snails. The tank is fairly new. It just finished cycling as of last week. Substrate is clean and I dont overfeed my fish. Water parameters are also in good shape. I have heard that once you have snails there is a very high chance there will be more. So, should I expect to find more snail? What should I do? I dont mind having a few snails as they can be beneficial to the tank but I dont want my tank to blow up with snails either.

2. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Spiral shaped could be mts. Not a bad pest snail. Keep looking maybe you got lucky and only one. What size tank? There are only 2 things that I know that eat snails. Loaches and assassin snails. So if you get more one of those may be needed.

3. OP
    OP
    DK314

DK314Valued MemberMember

The size of my tank is 20g tall.

The shell was a flat round spiral. Mts shells are elongated and spiral right? Wish i could have taken a photo. It was way to small.

Now that I think about it, my lfs where I bought my plants had mts in the tank..

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2019
  4. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

20 gal isn’t big enough for loaches. Well wait an see. If you start seeing more see if you can buy and return a small clown,chain or Yoyo loach. Leave it in your tank for 2months and it should eat all your snails. Than return it. You won’t be able to keep it they all need bigger tanks. Assassin snail are still snails and after they kill all the other snails could start reproducing themselves.
    Only other thing to do is either deal with the snails or break down the tank and bleach everything.
    For what it worth I have mts in most of my tanks. Never a problem just don’t overfeed.

5. OP
    OP
    DK314

DK314Valued MemberMember

I appreciate your response. I'll keep a close eye. Hopefully I got lucky and it was just the one. Maybe thats just wishful thinking. We will see!

6. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

MTS's ARE livebearing snails, FYI, so try and keep the little guy in check as best you can. They're also nocturnal.

7. purslanegarden

purslanegardenWell Known MemberMember

if you're not yet over-run with snails, then just remove them as you find them. that should give some control to their population at the beginning.

8. OP
    OP
    DK314

DK314Valued MemberMember

I have not found anymore at the moment.

9. AngryRainbow

AngryRainbowValued MemberMember