I Found A Tiny Snail While Cleaning My Tank??!? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Radox, Jun 18, 2019.

1. RadoxNew MemberMember

Today I was cleaning my tank and happened to see something small and dark in the gravel. I fished it out because I thought it was just a big piece of my driftwood that had drifted away, but then I realised it was a tiny shell! I put it on a rag where i put wet stuff from my tank, but then I saw something slowly coming out of it around 10 minutes later so I moved it to a small cup of water. Now, it's moving around the bottom of the cup.

What it is??!? What should I do with it??!?

Thanks for any insight. IMG_4584.JPG

2. Sheldon13Valued MemberMember

Looks like maybe a Malaysian trumpet snail (MTS). You might have more. They usually sneak in on live plants. They can reproduce very quickly. They are considered pests, but when used in balance with the ecosystem of the tank can be beneficial. Keep it if you want to!

3. RadoxNew MemberMember

Ah, thank you!! I had no idea. I'll do a bit of research on them :)

4. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Looks like a Malaysian trumpet snail, they burrow into the substrate. If you see one there's probably a lot more you can't see.

Good news is they're harmless detritus feeders and will also eat algae.

5. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Malaysian trumpet snail mts. The best of the pest snails. I had one now have hundreds. All good though I like them. If you don’t overfeed you can keep the numbers down. They eat whatever is in the gravel. I now keep them in all my tanks.

6. RadoxNew MemberMember

thank you for the help :)

Wow! Maybe I'll get rid of this one, as I don't think I want hundreds. I already put it back in my tank though, so I might have to go look for it again tonight. Thanks for the help!

7. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

You will have more soon that’s a given :). But if you don’t over feed the numbers won’t go crazy. As I said they are the best of the pest snails. They will eat any food left over,clean the substrate and airate it and eat algae. So they are good to have. Also clown loaches and other loaches eat them as do puffer fish.