I found a snail

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I found a snail in my aquarium and now I am afraid that I might get an outbreak! I am pretty sure it is a ramshorn snail. It is very small-- smaller than the cap of a Bic pen. I pulled it out of the tank, but I don't want to kill it. What can I do with it, and how likely is it that I will get an outbreak. I can't see any eggs anywhere and I put the plant in 1 week ago (he hitched a ride on that).

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you have a small tank, gallon or less. You can put it in that and change the water couple times a week and it should live fine.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
At work I have a 2 gallon with a betta??? But I am most afraid of it multiplying like crazy??? I found it in my 5 gallon betta tank. Spike inspected it a few times, but didn't try to eat it. It is a bit too big for the betta mouth.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you have a cup that a betta came in, that can do for awhile, just drop in a tiny piece of flake every so often and change the water the next day after putting in the flake, and set it by the window some so it has algae to eat.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have that cup still. I live in PA, could I put it in a stream or will that just kill it or hurt the eco-system?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It could disrupt something in the ecosystem. Pet stores usually don't advise doing that.
Tom

Terry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm certainly no snail expert, but I think pond snails are the worst to have in a tank due to them multiplying & taking over. I think those type have a long pointy shell. I have a ramshorn in one of my tanks - it snuck in with some gravel in the bag from a fish purchase about 2 months ago. I left in in, and I'm hoping I don't regret it. I see it every so often. When I was a kid the lfs used to sell ramshorns so at least at one time they weren't considered as pests.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ramshorns are good, but don't release any snails. Just kill it, if your that uncomfortable ask to give it to your lfs.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I might try to keep it for now. I hate the idea of killing it. Since it came from the LFS plants, they should take it back-- but 4 now I think I will try it in the cup. If he doesn't multiply then I will think about putting it back in the tank. I was just going to leave it in there anyway, but someone on the forum told me it would take over the tank quickly.

Here is a pic of him-- is he a ramshorn?? He is small so it was hard to take his pic.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like it, what for Butterfly's confirmation. If so then definately keep it, they are good not bad.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I found a snail in mine as well, although I haven't seen it in a while. It's very small, maybe 1/4 of an inch. It's been a few weeks and I haven't had an outbreak, just the one. I wouldn't panic unless you see a bunch.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jim said:
I found a snail in mine as well, although I haven't seen it in a while. It's very small, maybe 1/4 of an inch. It's been a few weeks and I haven't had an outbreak, just the one. I wouldn't panic unless you see a bunch.
LOL then it's too late to panic. You don't want to see what happens when you don't control pond snails, my grandpa didn't in one of his tanks and when I got it, at least one fourth of the gravel was snail shells. Though if you like pond snails and control them they can be helpful. Though ramshorns which look like this one are very nice.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Terry said:
Hi. I'm certainly no snail expert, but I think pond snails are the worst to have in a tank due to them multiplying & taking over. I think those type have a long pointy shell. I have a ramshorn in one of my tanks - it snuck in with some gravel in the bag from a fish purchase about 2 months ago. I left in in, and I'm hoping I don't regret it. I see it every so often. When I was a kid the lfs used to sell ramshorns so at least at one time they weren't considered as pests.
The closest Petland sells them and they are huge suckers. By that I mean the shell is more than an inch long.
Tom

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i started with just a snail or 2, now i have loads. too many to count thats for sure! i'd isolate the one you have! make sure it has a lid or it'll escape though!

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tan.b said:
i started with just a snail or 2, now i have loads. too many to count thats for sure! i'd isolate the one you have! make sure it has a lid or it'll escape though!
Thanks for the input. Everywhere I go on the internet says that the Ramshorn snail is a fast breeder and will over take a tank quickly. I am thinking about an ornamental snail though.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ramshorns are beneficial though, ask butterfly about them, she has a bunch.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I was told by a friend that there's some type of freshwater crustacean (shrimp perhaps?) that loved eating juvenile snails. He had a tank that received a snail infestation, and the shrimp just kept eating the little snails. Somehow he ended up with a perfect balance, just enough snails to keep providing food for the shrimp. He only had to perform water changes and other maintenance.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
sirdarksol said:
I was told by a friend that there's some type of freshwater crustacean (shrimp perhaps?) that loved eating juvenile snails. He had a tank that received a snail infestation, and the shrimp just kept eating the little snails. Somehow he ended up with a perfect balance, just enough snails to keep providing food for the shrimp. He only had to perform water changes and other maintenance.
i have shrimp and they dont touch the snails or snail eggs.........(i wish they did!)

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Never heard of that shrimp ???

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Not heard of a shrimp that does that, but a freshwater puffer will. Of course you can't have anything else in the tank with the puffer, but still it will eat all the snails you toss it's way.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom