I found a snail

genie

I found a snail in my aquarium and now I am afraid that I might get an outbreak! I am pretty sure it is a ramshorn snail. It is very small-- smaller than the cap of a Bic pen. I pulled it out of the tank, but I don't want to kill it. What can I do with it, and how likely is it that I will get an outbreak. I can't see any eggs anywhere and I put the plant in 1 week ago (he hitched a ride on that).

atmmachine816

Do you have a small tank, gallon or less. You can put it in that and change the water couple times a week and it should live fine.

genie

At work I have a 2 gallon with a betta??? But I am most afraid of it multiplying like crazy??? I found it in my 5 gallon betta tank. Spike inspected it a few times, but didn't try to eat it. It is a bit too big for the betta mouth.

atmmachine816

Do you have a cup that a betta came in, that can do for awhile, just drop in a tiny piece of flake every so often and change the water the next day after putting in the flake, and set it by the window some so it has algae to eat.

genie

I have that cup still. I live in PA, could I put it in a stream or will that just kill it or hurt the eco-system?

Tom

It could disrupt something in the ecosystem. Pet stores usually don't advise doing that.
Tom

Terry

Hi. I'm certainly no snail expert, but I think pond snails are the worst to have in a tank due to them multiplying & taking over. I think those type have a long pointy shell. I have a ramshorn in one of my tanks - it snuck in with some gravel in the bag from a fish purchase about 2 months ago. I left in in, and I'm hoping I don't regret it. I see it every so often. When I was a kid the lfs used to sell ramshorns so at least at one time they weren't considered as pests.

atmmachine816

Ramshorns are good, but don't release any snails. Just kill it, if your that uncomfortable ask to give it to your lfs.

genie

I might try to keep it for now. I hate the idea of killing it. Since it came from the LFS plants, they should take it back-- but 4 now I think I will try it in the cup. If he doesn't multiply then I will think about putting it back in the tank. I was just going to leave it in there anyway, but someone on the forum told me it would take over the tank quickly.

Here is a pic of him-- is he a ramshorn?? He is small so it was hard to take his pic.

atmmachine816

Looks like it, what for Butterfly's confirmation. If so then definitely keep it, they are good not bad.

Jimold

I found a snail in mine as well, although I haven't seen it in a while. It's very small, maybe 1/4 of an inch. It's been a few weeks and I haven't had an outbreak, just the one. I wouldn't panic unless you see a bunch.

atmmachine816

JI'm said:
I found a snail in mine as well, although I haven't seen it in a while. It's very small, maybe 1/4 of an inch. It's been a few weeks and I haven't had an outbreak, just the one. I wouldn't panic unless you see a bunch.
LOL then it's too late to panic. You don't want to see what happens when you don't control pond snails, my grandpa didn't in one of his tanks and when I got it, at least one fourth of the gravel was snail shells. Though if you like pond snails and control them they can be helpful. Though ramshorns which look like this one are very nice.

Tom

Terry said:
Hi. I'm certainly no snail expert, but I think pond snails are the worst to have in a tank due to them multiplying & taking over. I think those type have a long pointy shell. I have a ramshorn in one of my tanks - it snuck in with some gravel in the bag from a fish purchase about 2 months ago. I left in in, and I'm hoping I don't regret it. I see it every so often. When I was a kid the lfs used to sell ramshorns so at least at one time they weren't considered as pests.
The closest Petland sells them and they are huge suckers. By that I mean the shell is more than an inch long.
Tom

tan.b

I started with just a snail or 2, now I have loads. too many to count that's for sure! i'd isolate the one you have! make sure it has a lid or it'll escape though!

genie

tan.b said:
I started with just a snail or 2, now I have loads. too many to count that's for sure! i'd isolate the one you have! make sure it has a lid or it'll escape though!
Thanks for the input. Everywhere I go on the internet says that the Ramshorn snail is a fast breeder and will over take a tank quickly. I am thinking about an ornamental snail though.

atmmachine816

Ramshorns are beneficial though, ask butterfly about them, she has a bunch.

sirdarksol

I was told by a friend that there's some type of freshwater crustacean (shrimp perhaps?) that loved eating juvenile snails. He had a tank that received a snail infestation, and the shrimp just kept eating the little snails. Somehow he ended up with a perfect balance, just enough snails to keep providing food for the shrimp. He only had to perform water changes and other maintenance.

tan.b

sirdarksol said:
I was told by a friend that there's some type of freshwater crustacean (shrimp perhaps?) that loved eating juvenile snails. He had a tank that received a snail infestation, and the shrimp just kept eating the little snails. Somehow he ended up with a perfect balance, just enough snails to keep providing food for the shrimp. He only had to perform water changes and other maintenance.
I have shrimp and they don't touch the snails or snail eggs.........(I wish they did!)

atmmachine816

Never heard of that shrimp ???

Luniyn

Not heard of a shrimp that does that, but a freshwater puffer will. Of course you can't have anything else in the tank with the puffer, but still it will eat all the snails you toss it's way.

tan.b

Luniyn said:
Not heard of a shrimp that does that, but a freshwater puffer will. Of course you can't have anything else in the tank with the puffer, but still it will eat all the snails you toss it's way.
shame I can't rent a puffer for a week!! itd have a feast in my tanks!!!! lol!

Sparkling Diamonds

I read that ramhorns are the bad kind. They're transvestites and can multiply on their own. They also eat live plants. I'd keep it contained for a while and would think long and hard about putting it back into the tank with your betta.

sirdarksol

~Sparkling Diamonds~ said:
I read that ramhorns are the bad kind. They're transvestites and can multiply on their own. They also eat live plants. I'd keep it contained for a while and would think long and hard about putting it back into the tank with your betta.
Male ramshorn snails dress like females?
Yes, they do reproduce hermaphroditically. However, many places sell them as aquarium snails, because they are typically helpful. They do eat plants, but they also eat nearly anything else, including various bits of detritus on the bottom of the tank, lowering the amount of decaying waste. Also, critters that reproduce asexually tend to produce fewer young than those that need another to fertilize their eggs.
But it is a good point. They do, apparently, eat live plants.

Sparkling Diamonds

Haha I did mean hermaphrodites. ><

tan.b

snails with clothes on would be funny! ;D

Gargoyle

I have snails in one of my tanks that I am wondering about... I found some eggs today on the glass and vacuumed them up while I was doing the gravel vac just to be safe. Where can I find pics of snails to find out if these are good or bad ??

Also what kind of fish will eat them but still be good community fish ?

Thanks!!

tan.b

as flbettacouple informed me yoyo loaches will! here's a link for more info

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/oct09/yoyo-loach.htm

also weather loaches, but these get huge! https://www.fishlore.com/profile-dojoloach.htm

found this useful link too

also...this has loads of info on loads of loaches , unfortunately it seems most are shoaling, big and aggressive ! it seems our snails are here forever! (I even tried the copper preperation from lfs....it had NO effect at all on my snails along with the luring tactic, also my snails werent fooled!) if you find a solution to this prob, be sure to share it!

good luck!
tan

genie

Thanks for the advice, but my tank is too small for any loach. It is my betta tank. AHhhh I guess I will be pulling them out forever. Lila ate one of the baby ones though.

tan.b

shame! my tank mates wouldnt like any loach, so i'm stuffed too! lets hope lila enjoyed her snail and may eat some more!

Phloxface

That snail pic is a common pond snail and one of the worst you can have in your tank. I highly recommend you kill them. Just drop them in boiling water. They are pests much like cockroaches. They have been known to kill Bettas. I've seen it before several times. They swarm all over the sleeping Betta and suck on it's slime coat until it's dead. It's horrifying to watch! I have suddenly had an outbreak of these pests in Lava's tank. Yesterday I found about 12 of them crawling all over and quite close to where he always sleeps. He even tried to eat one that was floating. He got the entire thing in his mouth but couldn't chew it and spit it back out. Had he swallowed it it would have killed him as he cannot digest the shell. I wasted no time it pulling every one of them out and killing them. I would never think of keeping them in a separate tank alive. It would be like saving roaches... Never dump anything into lakes or rivers. Not even plants as they upset the ecosytem.

genie

OK, now I am terrified!! I have been killing them left and right-- crushing the shells and throwing them away, but now I am afraid for my babies! Is there anything I can do other than tearing down the whole tank to get rid of them???

Gargoyle

I was thinking about fish to eat them but I don't think loaches would be good for my tank.. I have fry in there as well as shrimp. So I think they would munch on more than the snails to be honest. Plus I keep the temp pretty high. Around 79 most of the time since that's what I set the A/C at in the summer time.

So besides chemicals and the endless attempts of manual removal or complete teardowns is there another way ??

Gargoyle

I found this info....

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Controlling Pest Snails in Your Aquarium

Now that you have them, how can you get rid of these pest snails? Here are some steps for trying to remove snails from your tank:

* Spend a little time every day, once you first find the snails, trying to find a few more and pull them out. If you crush their shells, many fish will will swarm over to eat the dead snail, or you can just throw them away.
* Copper additives can also reduce the snail population, as copper is toxic to most invertebrates. Some people will add pennies to their aquarium to increase copper levels, however this can be dangerous to your fish since you do not know what might be on a penny...
* Snail eating fish can also be helpful. Freshwater puffers (most of which are actually brackish water fish and need a little salt in their water and are typically very aggressive) will eat snails, as will some cichlids, and most Botia. The Clown Loach, Yo-Yo Loach, Dwarf Checkered loach, Skunk Botia and the Bengal Loach are all Botia that will usually do all right in a community tank and eat snails. Remember, when adding a fish to the tank to help with a problem like this, that the new fish does contribute to the tank population.
* You can remove the snails in larger groups by tempting them with food. After the lights go off for the night, and the tank is dark, place a saucer on the gravel at the bottom of the tank, place a piece of sinking fish food on the saucer and leave for about 25 minutes. When you come back there will probably be several snails on the saucer and they can be easily removed with the saucer and food. You can similarly use lettuce, spinach, scallions (green onions) or other fresh vegetables to do this, if you have a way to anchor the vegetables in the tank.

If you perform several of these tasks with diligence, you should be able to easily keep your snail population under control, if not eventually eliminating it. Remember, none of these will get rid of all of your snails in short order, but over time, they should become much less of a nuisance.

genie

Thanks-- these snails are going to kill me. I have killed at least 15 today alone!

tan.b

Genie said:
Thanks-- these snails are going to kill me.  I have killed at least 15 today alone!
I can sympathise! I kill about 30 every couple of days!! using more live food and less flakes seems to have helped as there is no food spare for the snails! they can't catch the daphnia! snails are pointless critters! they need birth control!
tan

genie

guppies need birth control as well!

tan.b

Genie said:
guppies need birth control as well!
wish mine did! i've had 5 guppy girls since jan and only 3 fry! they are all ready to pop and have been for months!

sirdarksol

Another couple of ideas, one short term and one long term.
1. Pull your fish and any living plants out of the tank, turn the filter off, and add some bleach. Then add a dechlorinator (be sure to use enough), do a partial water change, and re-acclimate the fish to the tank. Then do bleach dips for the plants and replant them.
2. Start softening the water. I've heard there are things you can use to remove minerals from the water. Otherwise, you can just start using bottled water that doesn't have minerals. Make sure you vacuum up or otherwise remove snails so their shells don't add minerals to the water. You can also try something to make the water more acidic, like running it through a peat filter. This one is much more work-intensive, but the combination of lack of calcium and acidic water should slow the snails down.

I'm sorry the copper thing didn't work out (I saw the other thread, but figured that since this didn't have anything to do with copper, I'd add it here). I hope it was caught before any harm was done.

genie

My water is alread very soft--

sirdarksol

Well, that shoots that idea.

Gargoyle

I did this the other day -------

* You can remove the snails in larger groups by tempting them with food. After the lights go off for the night, and the tank is dark, place a saucer on the gravel at the bottom of the tank, place a piece of sinking fish food on the saucer and leave for about 25 minutes. When you come back there will probably be several snails on the saucer and they can be easily removed with the saucer and food. You can similarly use lettuce, spinach, scallions (green onions) or other fresh vegetables to do this, if you have a way to anchor the vegetables in the tank.
and it has worked great!! I don't see any snails right now.. ;D

loubie

I also have had an outbreak of snails - thought I got rid of them and a few weeks later loads appeared! I saw about 8 yesterday so rather than add chemicals I put in some lettuce and this morning there were four on there. I am going to keep trying this route for a while.

tan.b

loubie said:
I also have had an outbreak of snails -  thought I got rid of them and a few weeks later loads appeared! I saw about 8 yesterday so rather than add chemicals I put in some lettuce and this morning there were four on there. I am going to keep trying this route for a while.
good luck!! tan

poppet

Them snails sure are a pest I keep finding them in my tank and they have been eating my plants. Just when u think they are gone you find another one.

tan.b

poppet said:
Just when u think they are gone you find another one.
So true!! they are invinsible!!

Jimold

Tan,
Accidentally, I found a snail weakness. I had an algae bloom going, so I bought some algaefix by API. It worked great, and cleared up the bloom in less than a day, but when I got home from work today I found my 3 apple snails dead and floating. Sure enough, when I reread the label, it says "unsafe for freshwater crustaceans".
Opps....

tan.b

JI'm said:
Tan,
Accidentally, I found a snail weakness.  I had an algae bloom going, so I bought some algaefix by API. It worked great, and cleared up the bloom in less than a day, but when I got home from work today I found my 3 apple snails dead and floating.  Sure enough, when I reread the label, it says "unsafe for freshwater crustaceans". 
Opps....
excellent!! ;D will look for that! they didnt respond to the interpet antisnail, so I won't get too excited until I see them dead. it seems I have tough hardy snails....supersnails? it might sort out my stringy algae stuff too! thanks jim! will report back once i've found some and used it!!
tan

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom