I found a parakeet

mimo91088

So today I was dropping some cash off to my girlfriend at work and on my way out the door I saw what I thought was a stuffed animal or something that I didn't look twice at, until it moved. Sitting on the sidewalk in the town center was a little yellow parakeet. He was wary of me, but I managed to scoop him up. Put him in a box with some air holes. I called the local PD, animal shelter, and animal control. No one reported him missing. I checked craigslist and im waiting on my application to the local Facebook group to be accepted so I can try there. Hoping to find an owner, but as sad as it is, there's a good chance he was intentionally released and no one will claim him.

I ran out to Petco and got a small cage, filled the water bowl, and put some food in before I transferred him from the box. As I moved him over, I could feel his heart beating very rapidly, poor guy must have been terrified. Despite that, literally the second I put him in the cage he scurried over to the food and started chowing down. Couple that with the fact that my girlfriend saw a parakeet outside over a month ago, and I'd say there's a good chance this dude has been out there for a while.

I'm an animal lover and I will take care of him for as long as I have to until I can find his rightful home. But I've never kept a bird. Do we have any knowledgeable bird keepers here that can share advice on the proper care of my temporary house guest?

Here's a picture. Based on my limited past research, the bars around his eyes suggest he's still somewhat young right?

20200519_172220.jpg

StarGirl

Aw hes so pretty! I would secretly be hoping I dont find his home but then be glad if I did!

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

aww so so so so cute. Good luck. does he have a name.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Aw hes so pretty! I would secretly be hoping I dont find his home but then be glad if I did!
That's kind of where I'm at right now if we're being honest lol.

aww so so so so cute. Good luck. does he have a name.
If I find his owner I'll ask!

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

I once found a parakeet drinking chlorine from a pool. He was had a ring around his leg. Maby someone dis not want him so just left im outside

Upvote 0

StarGirl

My friend found one in the tree in her front yard. I think people dump them. so sad.

edit...she still has it...lol

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

My friend found one in the tree in her front yard. I think people dump them. so sad.

edit...she still has it...lol

[/QUOTE]
yup that what happens all right

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Still no word on a possible owner. Did some research today and by my best guess he/ she is between 4-6 months old and still too young to determine sex. Not terrified of me, but not tame either.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I love the Aqua blue on her belly side!

Upvote 0

mimo91088

I love the Aqua blue on her belly side!
It is a very beautiful bird. Clearly very intelligent too. Watches everything I do with curiosity.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I think someone has a new sweetie!!!

Upvote 0

mimo91088

Lol perhaps. But if it's someone's lost pet im really hoping to reunite it with it's owner. I know I'd be very upset and out there looking if my pet got out. In a perfect world, the PD or shelter will call me soon.

But if it comes down to it, I'll care for it long term rather than going to a rescue.

Upvote 0

Fisheye

So today I was dropping some cash off to my girlfriend at work

Took me awhile to get past this part...no one drops off cash for me ever! Whaddoigottado?

I've had budgies and a singing orange canary...the only thing I want to add is air quality. Birds can't handle long term exposure to smoke of any kind. Oh, and drafts.

And that's it. This little thingy sure lucked out when you appeared. I hope you'll post updates and share stories of acclimation progress etc. yMay you ou know each other for a very, very long time!

Upvote 0

Lucy

mimo91088
Oh gosh, such a cute bird, it looks so sweet. Congrats on your new pet.

I moved your thread to the bird forum

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

aaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Upvote 0

julifhy

It’s so cute!! I would name him lemon lol. I know it’s not to creative, but I feel like that would suit it .
A couple years ago someone dumped a cat in our front yard. Our neighbors took it to the shelter and it turned out she was really old, blind, and deaf. The owner probably didn’t want her anymore. It’s so heartbreaking.
Anyways, hopefully that’s not what happened with this parakeet, unless your want to keep it lol.

Upvote 0

AquaCaitlin

I’m not a bird expert, but I own two parakeets so I hope I can be of help!

your little guy looks like a girl- judging by the pale pink color of her cere. Males will have darker Ceres- blue or purple usually.

Provide lots of clean water and it is widely suggested you feed a pellet food, rather than a seed. My stubborn boys refuse to eat the pellets though, so I feed the commonly fed pellet/seed mix.
Make sure there’s always fresh food and water available, and cover the cage with a sheet to help her settle in.

If you do end up keeping her long-term buy a nice big cage- longer is better but I have a fairly cheap $50 one I got from amazon that my two live in. They love to climb the bars.

Another thing I would do is play some budgie sounds (parakeets are actually just long tailed parrots- they are actually referred to as budgies, I believe) as they are very social birds and will feed comforted by the “flock” noises.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

I’m not a bird expert, but I own two parakeets so I hope I can be of help!

your little guy looks like a girl- judging by the pale pink color of her cere. Males will have darker Ceres- blue or purple usually.

Provide lots of clean water and it is widely suggested you feed a pellet food, rather than a seed. My stubborn boys refuse to eat the pellets though, so I feed the commonly fed pellet/seed mix.
Make sure there’s always fresh food and water available, and cover the cage with a sheet to help her settle in.

If you do end up keeping her long-term buy a nice big cage- longer is better but I have a fairly cheap $50 one I got from amazon that my two live in. They love to climb the bars.

Another thing I would do is play some budgie sounds (parakeets are actually just long tailed parrots- they are actually referred to as budgies, I believe) as they are very social birds and will feed comforted by the “flock” noises.
Do you have an estimate on the age? I've got a guess based purely on Google results but I'm curious if im correct. Lol

Upvote 0

VeiltailKing

I’ve owned my bird for going on 6 years now!! Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Upvote 0

Dennis57

Beautiful bird, fresh water and food daily. Put in a cuttlebone for his/her beak. Also a nice swing.
I had parakeets years ago, they all loved the swing. In time you can train the bird to come out of the cage.
Mine use to come out when I was at the sink running water, they would land on my shoulder and just look at the water.
Good Luck with the parakeet, and it was Gods doing that you found the bird.

Upvote 0

AquaCaitlin

Do you have an estimate on the age? I've got a guess based purely on Google results but I'm curious if im correct. Lol
I’m not sure. The stripes rule is usually pretty accurate but my two boys are the same age and one has many more (and more prominent) stripes Than the other.

B1E5AA2D-D45D-41AF-B9D7-1A1CFC69AFC5.jpeg
63654944-0D70-4D0C-B03E-11B014C76663.jpeg

Upvote 0

goldface

Don't think anyone will be lookin' for him. Maybe if it was a Macaw or Cockatoo, but not a $20 bird. Cute budgie though.

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

nope he looks dumped. Is he comfortable with you taking him out

Upvote 0

Malibu

It is a budgie. Here in Australia they are considered a pest in the Outback. There are flocks of thousands and they are all green. The different coloured ones are mutants. If you get one young enough, you can teach it to talk.

Upvote 0

trahana

What a cute budgie! I had a few when I was a kid. I remember a budgie came to the bird feeders for a week, probably was attracted by my budgies. I unfortunately couldn’t catch him in time and a hawk got him. To often people forget pets don’t belong in the wild, only wild animals belong in the wild.
I’m glad you caught your budgie, I’m sure he’s happy to be safe now.

Upvote 0

Fisheye

What's the stripes rule as it pertains to age?

Upvote 0

AquaCaitlin

What's the stripes rule as it pertains to age?
The idea is that younger budgies will have more stripes, because when they molt the stripes will fade or become lesser. The more they molt the more the stripes disappear. Although I’m not quite sure how accurate this is, just because every bird molts a little different.

Upvote 0

Fisheye

Ohhhh I was thinking it was like counting tree rings and was trying to figure out how old the bird was. Very glad you clarified-I got things to do!

Upvote 0

nice yellow budgie are u going to keep him if u cant find him a home he looks healthy but a little buffed up he must be cold

Upvote 0

trahana

I don't think stripes mean to much depending on the color morph. This lost budgie looks young because most color morphs get a ring of white in their eye once they reach adult hood. Albino and Lutino don't get eye rings usually, or at least mine didn't.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

I don't think stripes mean to much depending on the color morph. This lost budgie looks young because most color morphs get a ring of white in their eye once they reach adult hood. Albino and Lutino don't get eye rings usually, or at least mine didn't.
Yea the eye was the other factor I was judging by. Solid black, can't see an iris in any lighting.

Upvote 0

emeraldking

Still no word on a possible owner. Did some research today and by my best guess he/ she is between 4-6 months old and still too young to determine sex. Not terrified of me, but not tame either.
This is a very young budgerigar. You can see it at the eyes and this one is way younger than you think. I´ve bred these when I was 12 years old up till my 27th. This one is just a few weeks old. He doesn´t have the white ring on its eyes. It´s still totally black. And the stripes on its head is slowly fading. A buderigar is losing it´s stripes on its head after 6-7 weeks old.

It's a recessive pied (also known as danish pied) budgie. Still too young to see wether it's a male or female. But with recessive pied budgies, the nose can stay pinkish or will turn a bit of blue or brownish. Not all budgies with bluish nose is a male. For an adult or young adult female which is not ready to breed can show a white nose with a bluish glance instead of a brown nose. With dominant pied (australian pied), dutch pied and recessive pied (danisch pied) budgies, the adult and young adult males can show a blue nose, pinkish or even a meat colored nose. But mostly after 8 weeks and older the adult color of the nose should appear. And looking at the picture I do guess that this bird is between 4-6 weeks old. The length of the wing will also tell something about the age which I can't see too well from the angle the picture has been taken.

It could also be that someone has got a bird house and this one got escaped. It happened to me a couple of times that I've noticed pretty late that I had one of them on my shoulder by the time that I got out of the bird house.

Overhere an old picture ( somewhere in the 1980's) of me holding 5 days old budgies.

83625841_6_FcRg.jpg

Upvote 0

mimo91088

This is a very young budgerigar. You can see it at the eyes and this one is way younger than you think. I´ve bred these when I was 12 years old up till my 27th. This one is just a few weeks old. He doesn´t have the white ring on its eyes. It´s still totally black. And the stripes on its head is slowly fading. A buderigar is losing it´s stripes on its head after 6-7 weeks old.

It's a recessive pied (also known as danish pied) budgie. Still too young to see wether it's a male or female. But with recessive pied budgies, the nose can stay pinkish or will turn a bit of blue or brownish. Not all budgies with bluish nose is a male. For an adult or young adult female which is not ready to breed can show a white nose with a bluish glance instead of a brown nose. With dominant pied (australian pied), dutch pied and recessive pied (danisch pied) budgies, the adult and young adult males can show a blue nose, pinkish or even a meat colored nose. But mostly after 8 weeks and older the adult color of the nose should appear. And looking at the picture I do guess that this bird is between 4-6 weeks old. The length of the wing will also tell something about the age which I can't see too well from the angle the picture has been taken.

It could also be that someone has got a bird house and this one got escaped. It happened to me a couple of times that I've noticed pretty late that I had one of them on my shoulder by the time that I got out of the bird house.

Overhere an old picture ( somewhere in the 1980's) of me holding 5 days old budgies.

83625841_6_FcRg.jpg
Wow, I had no idea it was that young! Thanks for your insight.

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

they are cutepies

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Avaismyfava1
  • Bird
Replies
Views
SecretiveFish
  • Question
  • Littlewoman01