I Found A Disgusting Bug In My Tank, Is It Harmful?

Joey S.

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was looking at my tank and I caught a glimpse of something I had not put in there that wasn't a snail. It looks like some kind of aquatic insect, god knows how it got there, probably hitchhiked on a plant but other than the unpleasant surprise, is this thing harmful to my fish or plants in anyway? Does anyone know what the heck it is?
20171124_194548 (Copy).jpg
20171124_194555 (Copy).jpg
20171124_194557 (Copy).jpg
20171124_194641 (Copy).jpg
20171124_194703 (Copy).jpg

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It looks to be a nymph of some sort, so I would just remove it.
Eventually, it'll drown.

TheCyanDragon

Reaction score
It looks almost like a dragonfly nymph, but it might be something else. If it is a dragonfly it’ll only hunt small/baby fish

Bruxes and Bubbles

Well Known
Reaction score
Looks like a damselfly nymph to me. They have longer bodies than dragonfly nymphs.

They will try to eat fry and small shrimp.

SixThreeOh

Well Known
Reaction score
Dragonfly nymph. It'll eat fry and small shrimp. They're aquatic, so it won't drown. I'd remove it and keep an eye out for more. Also, go watch some dragonfly nymph clips on Youtube, they're pretty cool. They inspired HR Giger's aliens.

OP
Joey S.

Joey S.

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So that's why my guppy fries have been "disappearing", I never ever thought I'd have to worry about a nymph killing them but this hobby continuously surprises me lol

Emilichelle

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah, I think it's a dragonfly. Congrats! They're really cool bugs. They'll eat tons of mosquitos if you release them in your yard (up to 1000 each day per bug). Could be a damselfly - they're pretty similar. It will survive in your tank but might escape into your house when it matures, which would be a nuisance, so be watchful, lol.

Just curious, what did you bring into your tank recently? What climate do you live in? (I'm a biology nerd)

OP
Joey S.

Joey S.

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Emilichelle said:
Yeah, I think it's a dragonfly. Congrats! They're really cool bugs. They'll eat tons of mosquitos if you release them in your yard (up to 1000 each day per bug). Could be a damselfly - they're pretty similar. It will survive in your tank but might escape into your house when it matures, which would be a nuisance, so be watchful, lol.

Just curious, what did you bring into your tank recently? What climate do you live in? (I'm a biology nerd)
I brought a couple of plants from my LFS, one Rotala spp and the other one I have no idea what it is but its a long stem plant. I live in the south of Spain, very hot in summer and mildly cold in winter. I ultimately decided to remove it from the tank since I have some fries that I want to survive

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are no disgusting aquatic bugs!

You could wait, and it'll soon be flying around the room. One winter, I somehow had three blue darners tearing through the house. I didn't lose any fish or fry, and figure they were keeping a low profile in a jungle plant tank.
The blue darners were beauties... My wife didn't quite appreciate them, but hey.

New Threads