I finally solved the mystery on the cause of my cloudy water

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by anz, Dec 8, 2012.

1. anzValued MemberMember

I have been having issues with cloudy water that was driving me nuts! Sometimes it was not really cloudy, just hazy. Sometimes the cloudiness seem to be caused by tiny particles in the water. I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and acceptable nitrates. I didn't think it was a bacterial bloom because it had been having this problem for months.

I finally think I solved the mystery. I had a Buddha aquarium ornament in my tank and the paint was peeling. I think this was causing the problem. I took it out and my water has been crystal clear for the past couple of weeks!!! I am sooooooo happy:;banaman:;banaman

That's all, I'm just feeling good and all is right in the world...ok, I'm exaggerating. Lets just say all is right in my tank!

2. tunastrack

tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

Thats great! You got super lucky that the paint didnt harm your fish tho! :)

3. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I'm glad you got it figured out! :clapping: I've read enough threads about ornaments degrading in the tank it makes me happy that I have all natural (more or less) decor.

4. fishyluvWell Known MemberMember

Just because it says it is for aquariums doesn't make it safe. I had ornaments that smelled really strong of plastic. It smelled like chemicals! I took them out and returned them. So glad your fish are ok!

5. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

YAY! glad you found the source!!!

I bought some colored glass pebbles that were supposed to be "aquarium safe"
    I recently noticed that the rocks are not "dyed" or colored but they are coated in plastic!!! I saw the paint peeling off of them :mad:
    I don't know what would happen if the snails or cory's ingested it but it can't be good!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice