I finally have Shrimp in my Bowl - Page 4

mattgirl

I finally got brave enough to get some shrimp for my bowl. It is a 2.5 gallon planted bowl that I've had up and running for well over a year. I got 10 of these colorful little guys from Mcasella She sent me a variety of colors (blues, reds, orange and almost clear) I am intrigued with these tiny creatures.

At first it seemed I may have lost some of them but I don't think that is the case now. They are just very good at hiding. Since I added the light they are coming out more often and are easier to see.

IMG_20200527_104347185_HDR.jpg

I have read a lot about taking care of these little guys but need to ask a few questions.
I know I have to do smaller water changes on their bowl but: how often do I need to do them? and how much each time.
I got them May 14th and have done 2 half gallon water changes since then. I use a piece of airline tubing with a control valve on the bowl end to drip the fresh water back in.
How low do I need to keep the nitrates? right now they are 5/10.
How often should I feed them and do I need a special food for them?
I have been adding either a shrimp pellet, a mini algae wafer or a tiny pinch of granules or flakes each day. Too much? Not enough? After running for more than a year there should be lots of bio-film in there for them. No algae though even though the bowl in sitting right in front of a north facing window.
I did add a small piece of blanched lettuce one day but they weren't interested

When should I expect them to start molting thus growing?

what say you richiep ? have I missed any important things I should be doing for these little guys.

mattgirl

The racing stripe will not dissappear all at once but what you'll notice is the edges of the stripe getting more ragged with each moult until its completely out of shape
These stripes must have just started because right now they are solid from head to tail. I am gonna try to keep an eye on them with each water change.

Upvote 0

richiep

A little more on that racing stripe you can see the big girl in the middle the stripe is breaking up and younger ones the stripe is tramline

Attachments

• 20200428_124737.jpg
    20200428_124737.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

mattgirl

A little more on that racing stripe you can see the big girl in the middle the stripe is breaking up and younger ones the stripe is tramline
Thank you bunches. I know what to look for and won't be concerned since I now know it is normal for this to happen.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I did something yesterday that I really don't recommend anyone do just because I did. I did an almost 100% water change in my shrimp bowl. Over the past month the water in the bowl has been cloudy and had begun to small fairly bad. It actually smelled like a snail had died in there. My normal water changes weren't helping it. While trying to find both the small mystery snail I had added and the original ramshorn that has been in there the life of this bowl I stirred up so much more mulm than I thought possible in the bowl. BTW: Both were alive. I have to think maybe a small snail must have died. I didn't find one though.

I took out all the floating plants and I pulled all the rooted plants. I kept them in water pulled from the bowl. Once done I removed all the shrimp I could find out of there. I didn't count them but there were a LOT of them. Ranging from adult to super tiny. I kept them in a holding container in water pulled from the tank.

Once all I could find were out of there I took the gravel out and washed it well in water pulled from the bowl. I cleaned both the inside and outside of the bowl. I found a few shrimp in the water I rinsed the gravel in. I just put them in the holding container with the rest of them. Before I put the shrimp back in the bowl I drip acclimated them to fresh water by dripping in enough fresh water to double the amount in the holding container. I then just poured them and all the water back in the bowl. I finished filling the bowl by dripping the fresh water in. All in all it was probably a 90% water change once all was said an done. Water in the bowl is clear this morning and shrimp are swimming all around in it being their little shrimpy selves.

I still have the water I pulled from the bowl in the waste water bucket. I know there are shrimp still in there but by the time I got the bowl cleaned and set back up I was too tired to do much else. It is very tiring and stressful catching these little guys. I have set a quart jar in the bucket this morning with some food in it. I am hoping the shrimp will save me the trouble of catching them and will just go in the jar.

I just shined a light in the bucket. Oh my goodness. I had no idea there would be so many in there. There has to be at least half again as many in the bucket as there are in the bowl right now. Just guessing but my best guess is at least 50 of them. Amazing to have this many from the original 10 I got about a year ago. I may just set up a big storage tote up out on the deck and pour these little guys in there instead of putting them back in the bowl. I will just have to make it mosquito proof. Better not to have a mosquito hatchery out there.

It is now 1:30. All the little guys are acclimated and back in their bowl. I decided against setting up something else to take care of for now. I wish I had left the snails out. I will try to remove them when I do my next water change. Maybe the bowl won't get as bad without the extra waste they produce.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I am happy to report my little guys seem to have come through the ordeal I put them through with flying colors. All seem to be out and about. I've seen no dead ones. I only attempted this because after a year the water in the bowl was starting to smell like swamp water.

I do have to stress to anyone attempting to do what I did. Do it slowly. Take all the time necessary to make sure the fresh water is as close to the original as you can get it and even then very slowly acclimate your little guys to the fresh water.

Upvote 0

Oriongal

For what it's worth, I've found that neo shrimp are way, way hardier than most give them credit for.

I've kept them outside for several years now, and they survive conditions that even some hardy fish don't. Enough so that I now make sure when I'm doing w/c or draining any tank or container they're in, I'm filtering the drained water (either at the intake or exhaust) because I worry they could actually survive a trip through a wastewater treatment plant! (Or at least a storm drain, anyway.)

I moved a canister filter from one tank (that had blue neos) to another tank that had red ones. I cleaned out the filter in the process, removed every 'trapped' shrimp and shrimplet I saw, rinsed the media with tank water, and so on. And of course, I immediately found adult blues in the tank (from the canister filter). Netted them out and returned them. Found more later, netted them out and returned them. Months later, I *still* have blue neos showing up in the tank with the reds, enough so that I finally gave up and I guess I'll just have a red/blue rili tank instead.

I've thrown them from one outside container to another without any temp- or pH-matching whatsoever (where the temp and pH probably did not match.) Initially not expecting them to survive, it was just expediency (netted them by mistake, or found them in the drained water and was too lazy to take them back to where they came from, or even intended them to be snacks for a fishy occupant because they were culls). And they've surprised me by surviving and even thriving.

I did lose the first ever batch that I had, but I suspect the issue was tank maturity rather than acclimation. In my experience, in a mature tank they can be almost as hard to kill as scuds.

As with any advice, YMMV - it certainly doesn't harm them to give them a good acclimation and not subject them to radical changes. Just passing along that I've had similar results even with radical changes, i.e. no losses even when I'd actually expected there would be.

Upvote 0

Algonquin

I tend to agree with Oriongal - neos are often more hardy than we give them credit for. There are often posts in this forum that include stories of finding shrimp living inside filters, undiscovered for months! I regularly do up to 50% water changes weekly on my tanks that have shrimp & fish, and the shrimp are doing just fine. Perhaps it has to do with them being in a well established colony, getting everything they need as far as water parameters & nutrition... who knows. Of course, some types of shrimp are much more delicate (think Crystal Red/Black etc).

As Mattgirl said, it's always a good idea to make changes slowly and with caution - better to be safe than sorry! But sometimes there's an 'oops' and things end up okay with these little troopers :)

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I have had the same experience with cherry shrimp ( neo ) in the time I have had them. I have multiple stories of different treatments that would have killed most / any fish. From living under ice to being in a waste water tank with no filter no food no water changes and outside in 42 degrees centigrade/ 107F.
5E70B476-500F-49B6-9F09-BC29C6EFA7E9.jpeg

Upvote 0

mattgirl

So far it seems I've not lost any of my shrimp. I just have a mixture of what I am sure would be considered culls since I started with a mixture of colors and they were culls. The easiest to see are the deep blue ones and it seems more and more red are showing up. Although mine are not any special color they are still adorable little creatures so I do my best to keep them thriving. The deep clean was nerve wracking but had to be done.

Upvote 0

Magua

So far it seems I've not lost any of my shrimp. I just have a mixture of what I am sure would be considered culls since I started with a mixture of colors and they were culls. The easiest to see are the deep blue ones and it seems more and more red are showing up. Although mine are not any special color they are still adorable little creatures so I do my best to keep them thriving. The deep clean was nerve wracking but had to be done.
Would love to see an updated picture!

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Would love to see an updated picture!
I could try but to be perfectly honest an updated photo would pretty much look the same as the original photo but with more hornwort. :D I have to thin it out every other water change. Although I have tried several times I have never been able to get a clear photo of the shrimp in this round bowl. There is just too much distortion.

Upvote 0

Magua

I could try but to be perfectly honest an updated photo would pretty much look the same as the original photo but with more hornwort. :D I have to thin it out every other water change. Although I have tried several times I have never been able to get a clear photo of the shrimp in this round bowl. There is just too much distortion.
I hear that. I have a mess of ramshorns in a big cylinder vase and it's like looking at snails in a funhouse mirror...

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Pbrown
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question