I finally have Shrimp in my Bowl

I finally got brave enough to get some shrimp for my bowl. It is a 2.5 gallon planted bowl that I've had up and running for well over a year. I got 10 of these colorful little guys from Mcasella She sent me a variety of colors (blues, reds, orange and almost clear) I am intrigued with these tiny creatures.

At first it seemed I may have lost some of them but I don't think that is the case now. They are just very good at hiding. Since I added the light they are coming out more often and are easier to see.

IMG_20200527_104347185_HDR.jpg

I have read a lot about taking care of these little guys but need to ask a few questions.
I know I have to do smaller water changes on their bowl but: how often do I need to do them? and how much each time.
I got them May 14th and have done 2 half gallon water changes since then. I use a piece of airline tubing with a control valve on the bowl end to drip the fresh water back in.
How low do I need to keep the nitrates? right now they are 5/10.
How often should I feed them and do I need a special food for them?
I have been adding either a shrimp pellet, a mini algae wafer or a tiny pinch of granules or flakes each day. Too much? Not enough? After running for more than a year there should be lots of bio-film in there for them. No algae though even though the bowl in sitting right in front of a north facing window.
I did add a small piece of blanched lettuce one day but they weren't interested

When should I expect them to start molting thus growing?

what say you richiep ? have I missed any important things I should be doing for these little guys.

Solution
I could try but to be perfectly honest an updated photo would pretty much look the same as the original photo but with more hornwort. :D I have to thin it out every other water change. Although I have tried several times I have never been able to get a clear photo of the shrimp in this round bowl. There is just too much distortion.
I hear that. I have a mess of ramshorns in a big cylinder vase and it's like looking at snails in a funhouse mirror...
Hey mattgirl,
So you joined the dark side
You are experienced enough to keep these creatures going without any of my help I reckon?

Until you have hundreds of them play it safe and do what richiep recommends as standard practice.

For what it’s worth my opinion is .
feed daily but only a small amount. A feeding dish is good because the food will not fall into the substrate and shrimp have such small mouths the food will be in the tank for a few hours unlike fish that eat everything in a few minutes.

water changes.
A little and often will keep the water parameters stable. 20% or 30% once a week is a safe place to start. Hopefully that’s not to controversial?

Adding green vegetables and green leaves is not 100% necessary but you are skilled enough to know it’s a good thing. The minerals ( calcium) in fresh green leaves will help with molting.
Adding dry leaf litter probably is a good idea if you like the look?

Nitrates.
Not important for neocaridina.
Stability is important. A sudden change in nitrates is like any sudden change in parameters.
40 ppm nitrates will not kill neocaridina.

Next time you are walking around a shop or walking the keyboard window shopping buy some crab cuisine . It’s convenient

I'm so proud of you taking the plunge into the shrimp world and that tank looks awesome, your nitraits are fine if you see them creeping towards 20 do a water change just as you've done but I think if you carry on like you are with the water changes you should be OK,try some zucchini once a week just a 1"chunk cooked for 5 minutes if they don't come around after 2/3 hrs take it out and don't feed anything for 2 days then try the same again, if you've got the patience and stick with this they will come around, remember there is a lot of biofilm in there so they won't starve and if your worried give them a shrimp pellet, just be careful with a small tank you don't want to start having water issues by over feeding, take out whats not eaten in a few hrs, you will find you'll get into a routine thats suits you and the shrimp, you've taken on something I've never tried with a small tank so I can only give you what I'd do with my knowledge and setting up a workable tank, you may not even see moults as they eat them as fast as they moult. I've just read Flyfisha as posted and must say its all good stuff, the most important is stability and you'll keep that by not overfeeding in a small tank, where as I do 15%water changes but for now keep it as you've done already and you can adjust according to parameters, remember its possible to do large water changes if needed but keep the actual change to the same format as you've already done, you've got hoooodles of experience and I'm sure even without out input you'll do fine, I'm going to watch this with a lot of interest so please keep us posted

You got some great information above, and I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. You're right about them being good at hiding. I have mine in a moderately planted 10 gallon tank, and if I just walk up to the tank during the day I can usually spot up to 10 or so. I feed them every evening, always in the same place, and an hour later it's not unusual to count 40 or 50 congregating on the food.

By the way, I feed a variety of foods, and use a drinking straw. I put the food in a crease in my palm, then tip it into the straw with a finger held over the other end. I put the end of the straw into the water, remove my finger to let water into the straw, then hold the top of the straw until the food soaks up enough water to fall out. That restricts the food to a small area instead of scattering all over the tank. I tried a feeding dish, but discarded it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Thanks bunches guys. I have been reading all the great advise posted ever since I decided I wanted to one day have shrimp. It is thanks to all of y'all that I now have them. All the great information gave me the confidence to finally get some. I knew if I came up against a brick wall y'all would help me climb over it or bust through it and solve the problem.

I did forget to mention in my first post that I do have a dried oak leaf in their home. I often see them eating something off of it. I will try to find a small feeding dish. I have gravel in this bowl and feared a buildup of uneaten food could happen. I do have both a few ramshorn and assassin snails in there so the ramshorns will help clean up uneaten food and the assassin will keep the number of ramshorns down. Hopefully neither will attempt to harm my shrimp.

I'm actually working on a similar project to yours at the moment, so I'm interested to see how it goes for you. I just started, so I dont have anything in there besides plants and a little snail. Best of luck to you, it looks really cool

I'm actually working on a similar project to yours at the moment, so I'm interested to see how it goes for you. I just started, so I dont have anything in there besides plants and a little snail. Best of luck to you, it looks really cool
I am anxious to see yours so please share it with us when you are ready. From everything I read about shrimp is they need a well established home. That is one of the reasons it took me so long to finally get my little guys. I was so afraid I would immediately lose them. I wanted to be absolutely sure I had a good home for them. So far it seems the wait was worth it.

I am anxious to see yours so please share it with us when you are ready. From everything I read about shrimp is they need a well established home. That is one of the reasons it took me so long to finally get my little guys. I was so afraid I would immediately lose them. I wanted to be absolutely sure I had a good home for them. So far it seems the wait was worth it.
Here is a picture of mine so far, I started pretty recently, so I am nowhere near adding shrimp just yet. And from the looks of it, yours is going really good, I wouldn't worry too much.

Attachments

• 20200523_115944.jpg
    20200523_115944.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 88
Here is a picture of mine so far, I started pretty recently, so I am nowhere near adding shrimp just yet. And from the looks of it, yours is going really good, I wouldn't worry too much.
Are you planning on having any kind of filtration in your bowl? Mine isn't an actual sponge filter. It is actually an airstone inserted in a pre-filter sponge. It seems to be all that is necessary in this tiny tank though. I know my little guys spend quite a bit of time grazing on it so there must be some yummy's growing on it.

Are you planning on having any kind of filtration in your bowl? Mine isn't an actual sponge filter. It is actually an airstone inserted in a pre-filter sponge. It seems to be all that is necessary in this tiny tank though. I know my little guys spend quite a bit of time grazing on it so there must be some yummy's growing on it.
Well I want to get it super planted, to the point where I won't need a filter or airstone. I'm not sure if that's possible though, and I dont want to risk the shrimp lives trying it, so when the day comes to add them, I will most likely get atleast an air stone as well

Well I want to get it super planted, to the point where I won't need a filter or airstone. I'm not sure if that's possible though, and I dont want to risk the shrimp lives trying it, so when the day comes to add them, I will most likely get atleast an air stone as well
My biggest fear of no surface movement is what happens to stagnant water. I fear it will end up with a film on top. Even a small amount of surface movement will prevent that. The plants may prevent it so keep me updated on your progress. I am curious.
DanielZebra32798
mattgirl
What sort of temperature do you both have without heaters, this is only out of interest
Right now the temp in their bowl is 73. It will get much warmer than that if summer ever gets here. We have a window unit to knock the hot temps down during the hottest part of the summer but we don't run it enough to let it get cold in here. I may have to run a heater during the winter because it isn't unusual for the room temp to get down to the mid sixties at night.

From everything I've read those temps should be alright but if you think that will be too cold I have a heater I can put in there that will keep the temp up to the low 70's during the winter. At least the temp changes will be gradual. I would think that is kinda how it is in wild habitats but I don't know if it will be detrimental to them in this bowl.

DanielZebra32798
mattgirl
What sort of temperature do you both have without heaters, this is only out of interest

You didn't ask me, but if you'd like more input I took the heater out of my shrimp tank some months ago. I keep my house at 68° F (20 C) in winter and 72° F (22 C) in summer and the shrimp seem fine. A couple times this spring it got cooler than I expected and I didn't have the heat on and the temperature in the tank got down to the low 60's overnight, and I didn't see any ill effects.

You didn't ask me, but if you'd like more input I took the heater out of my shrimp tank some months ago. I keep my house at 68° F (20 C) in winter and 72° F (22 C) in summer and the shrimp seem fine. A couple times this spring it got cooler than I expected and I didn't have the heat on and the temperature in the tank got down to the low 60's overnight, and I didn't see any ill effects.
thank you for this. The more info the better.

DanielZebra32798
mattgirl
Since it is on my bottom floor, it tends to stay 70-80, typically 77

mattgirl
absolutely, I'll update any developments. I actually got this idea from another user a few weeks ago with a really cool bowl. I'll link that thread when I get to my computer eventually

Wow what a cool shrimp tank! Love it! I still have 1 lone cherry in my 5g hilarious Stupid Covid! So far there are 3 ramshorn and 1 MTS.
I never would have been able to get any if not for being to order them online. As soon as I saw Mcasella had some that I could get at a very reasonable price I was finally able to get mine. I was so afraid I would pay a high price for some and then not be successful. The lives of these aren't any less valuable than the more expensive ones but It would be even worse if I had paid a high price for them and then lost them. Thankfully it looks like these are going to be just fine.

I am bad about second guessing myself when I do something new to me. Although I had done my research things could have still gone badly. I am thrilled that all seems to be well.

I never would have been able to get any if not for being to order them online. As soon as I saw Mcasella had some that I could get at a very reasonable price I was finally able to get mine. I was so afraid I would pay a high price for some and then not be successful. The lives of these aren't any less valuable than the more expensive ones but It would be even worse if I had paid a high price for them and then lost them. Thankfully it looks like these are going to be just fine.

I am bad about second guessing myself when I do something new to me. Although I had done my research things could have still gone badly. I am thrilled that all seems to be well.
So they shipped just fine? Someone offered me some and I rudely forgot about it I was thinking it may be too hot now because it was too cold then. How do they ship?

So they shipped just fine? Someone offered me some and I rudely forgot about it I was thinking it may be too hot now because it was too cold then. How do they ship?
Yes they got here just fine. She added a heat pack since there was a possibility of cooler weather between there and here. A cool pack will keep them cool enough. She lines the box with Styrofoam and ships priority mail so the box gets from Virginia to Arkansas in 3 days. Heat pack or cool pack is still doing its job during that time. You may want to check out what she offers over in the buy,sell,trade,free section of the forum. I have ordered from her several times (including fish, snails, drift wood and now shrimp) and everything has arrived alive and well. I've not checked in a few days so don't know if she has any shrimp available right now.

I've also ordered from Mcasella a few times and have always been very pleased.

I was going to say mid 60 would be bottom dollar but JettsPapa as answered my query

I've seen Corey from Aquarium Co-op say more then once that he's had shrimp in outdoor tubs, and at least some of them survived with a layer of ice on top. He said they weren't thriving by any means, but some were alive.

You got some great information above, and I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. You're right about them being good at hiding. I have mine in a moderately planted 10 gallon tank, and if I just walk up to the tank during the day I can usually spot up to 10 or so. I feed them every evening, always in the same place, and an hour later it's not unusual to count 40 or 50 congregating on the food.

By the way, I feed a variety of foods, and use a drinking straw. I put the food in a crease in my palm, then tip it into the straw with a finger held over the other end. I put the end of the straw into the water, remove my finger to let water into the straw, then hold the top of the straw until the food soaks up enough water to fall out. That restricts the food to a small area instead of scattering all over the tank. I tried a feeding dish, but discarded it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Regarding the above about not seeing many shrimp except at feeding time, this was this evening just before feeding . . .

0527202143.jpg

. . . and the same area about 20 minutes later . . .
0527202211.jpg

try some zucchini once a week just a 1"chunk cooked for 5 minutes if they don't come around after 2/3 hrs take it out and don't feed anything for 2 days then try the same again, if you've got the patience and stick with this they will come around, remember there is a lot of biofilm in there so they won't starve and if your worried give them a shrimp pellet, just be careful with a small tank you don't want to start having water issues by over feeding, take out whats not eaten in a few hrs, you will find you'll get into a routine thats suits you and the shrimp, you've taken on something I've never tried with a small tank so I can only give you what I'd do with my knowledge and setting up a workable tank, you may not even see moults as they eat them as fast as they moult. I've just read Flyfisha as posted and must say its all good stuff, the most important is stability and you'll keep that by not overfeeding in a small tank, where as I do 15%water changes but for now keep it as you've done already and you can adjust according to parameters, remember its possible to do large water changes if needed but keep the actual change to the same format as you've already done, you've got hoooodles of experience and I'm sure even without out input you'll do fine, I'm going to watch this with a lot of interest so please keep us posted
I just gave them their first zucchini. Four of them immediately came over and started munching on it. Hopefully all of them will eventually stop by for a taste. Thanks bunches for the suggestion.

My little guys are enjoying their first broccoli right now. I took a piece out of the freezer, dropped it in boiling water and as soon as it sunk I removed it and dropped it in ice water. I cut it in half lengthwise and they immediately started chowing down. I've only seen 5 at a time on it but have seen others swimming around the bowl so am still hoping all 10 are alive and well.

I will really be happy when they start growing so they will be easier to see.

I was reading a thread about feeding mulberry leaves to my little shrimp buddies. I just happen to have a few mulberry trees in my yard. My little guys seem to love 'em. Even though I boiled it before I put it in there for them it took 2 days for them to finally clean it up. I guess it has to soften up even more than just boiling it does for it.

I've noticed at least 3 of these adorable little creatures has doubled in size already. The tiny blue one doesn't seem to be growing but seems to be very active and healthy. I've still not seen all 10 of them at one time but am still hoping all are alive. They move too quickly and the round bowl distorts the view so it is next to impossible to get an accurate head count.

Two days is normal for a handful of shrimp. They only have small months after all. I don’t boil but I do rinse for a minute to remove bird poop ,dust etc. that’s all.

Two days is normal for a handful of shrimp. They only have small months after all. I don’t boil but I do rinse for a minute to remove bird poop ,dust etc. that’s all.
That is what I was thinking but the leaf sits there perfectly intact for 2 days and then in just a few hours it is down to just the veins. I have given them 2 leaves each about 2 inches wide and 3 inches long so far and each one hangs for 2 days before they started eating it. This leads me to believe something in the water takes time to soften it perfectly for my little guys.

I suppose it is also possible that they just don't start eating it until they are good and hungry. I try my best not to over feed any of my pets whether water pets or land pets but I can't stand to see a hungry pet Skinny dogs or cats break my heart. I want to take them all in and feed them well.

I need to gather up a bunch of the mulberry leaves and put them in my freezer so I can continue giving them one at least once a week long after all the leaves have fallen from the trees.

I need to gather up a bunch of the mulberry leaves and put them in my freezer so I can continue giving them one at least once a week long after all the leaves have fallen from the trees.

For a second I was like, why bother doing that. I grew up in India and the neighbor had a mulberry tree, but it was evergreen. I guess they shed their leaves in cold climates.

I hope you don't mind me hijacking without providing any helpful info. I'm planning on getting cherry shrimp soon and I'm hanging around this section of the forums to learn as much as I can about them before I get them.

Great thread. Very informative.

richiep In another thread, you commented that larger water changes are okay for shrimp if done correctly. It would seem that an experienced keeper like mattgirl would be able to do water changes correctly. And it would seem that more water changes would be more consistent with stable parameters than less water changes.

I have been doing 20% to 25% water changes in my 10 gallon shrimp tank. But I only put 10% back in at a time. Last week, I separate each 10% replacement by a couple days. This week, I separated each 10% replacement by a couple hours.

I would like to understand the finer points of water changes for shrimp better.

For a second I was like, why bother doing that. I grew up in India and the neighbor had a mulberry tree, but it was evergreen. I guess they shed their leaves in cold climates.

I hope you don't mind me hijacking without providing any helpful info. I'm planning on getting cherry shrimp soon and I'm hanging around this section of the forums to learn as much as I can about them before I get them.
Yep, mulberry trees here lose their leaves each fall. I could just wait until they fall and collect the dead ones but I feel the live ones may be more nutritious.

I certainly don't mind you coming in a commenting. The more the merrier. I spent countless hours reading everything I could about taking care of shrimp before I finally got some. I was beyond nervous since I had never taken care of them before. The one thing I learned that was the most important thing was having a well established tank for them.This little tank was running for over a year so there was lots and lots of bio-film for them.
Great thread. Very informative.
richiep In another thread, you commented that larger water changes are okay for shrimp if done correctly. It would seem that an experienced keeper like mattgirl would be able to do water changes correctly. And it would seem that more water changes would be more consistent with stable parameters than less water changes.

I have been doing 20% to 25% water changes in my 10 gallon shrimp tank. But I only put 10% back in at a time. Last week, I separate each 10% replacement by a couple days. This week, I separated each 10% replacement by a couple hours.

I would like to understand the finer points of water changes for shrimp better.

I have to think larger water changes can be done if the perimeters are matched very closely. I replace the water I have removed with a piece of airline tubing with a control valve on the tank end. This way I an dripping the water back in. It can take an hour or more to replace 1/2 gallon of water. I changed out 3 quarts a couple of days ago. I will eventually end up changing out even more each time as I get more comfortable with taking care of these little guys.

Right now I test the water I have removed and the water I am replacing to make sure the perimeters are as close to the same as I can get them. I feel sure as long as I do that larger water changes won't affect my little guys.

I replace the water I have removed with a piece of airline tubing with a control valve on the tank end. This way I an dripping the water back in. It can take an hour or more to replace 1/2 gallon of water.
I use this method to take water out of the tank. I put the airline tubing at the depth to which I want the water to drain. Then I can walk away. It will stop when it is done.

I like the idea of using this method to replace the water. I will just have to figure out how to put the water source high enough for this to work. I guess for small quantities, I could put it on a step ladder.

I use this method to take water out of the tank. I put the airline tubing at the depth to which I want the water to drain. Then I can walk away. It will stop when it is done.

I like the idea of using this method to replace the water. I will just have to figure out how to put the water source high enough for this to work. I guess for small quantities, I could put it on a step ladder.

If you look closely at the left side of the photo of my shrimp bowl you will see the edge of the stand I have my 5.5 gallon tank sitting in. It is actually an antique wash stand. It sits at the perfect height for the container of water I am siphoning back into the shrimp bowl. I didn't actually plan it out that way so just lucked out there.

Look even closer at the upper left and you will also see my snail jar in the photo.

Sorg67 lets comment on your last post first, do you put an airs tone on the end of your pipe or leave it open when draining this way, second only dropping the airline a few inches could very well bring on problems later, you should take the water from the last quarter to bottom this way you'll get rid of all water that almost spent, toxins, food break down, rotting leaves, all water that as had all the good minerals taken out all find their way to the bottom with the result you get a depletion of oxygen and build up of ammonia for one, its not something that will come on straight away but the smaller the tank the quicker it happens, this is why its harder to keep parameters stable with smaller tanks and water changes weekly or twice a week can be done to keep things stable
mattgirl touched on how to do your changes and that's making sure the parameters are the same, this way you can change 25% twice a week or if the need is called for (disease) you can do 80% in one go but ph gh temp must be the same, these are the ones that shock and kill, if you can't get them the same then the slower you add the water the better or you take as many shrimp out do 95% change and drip the shrimp back in, there is no need to do these big changes unless called for (disease), i do 15% in all tanks except cichlids 75%.
depending what type of maintenance i'm doing i will ether use a 1/4 inch tube to get really close to the bottom taking out as much muck as i can or i use a 3/4 inch siphon and hold it about 1 inch off the bottom taking the water out quite fast, (i never gravel vac) when i replace my water i use a 500ml jug and i jug it back in this i do with Caridina and Neocaridina, i can only achieve this because my water going back in is identical to coming out, there may be 5 points difference in my TDS but that's altered at the time with minerals and has no effect on your shrimp, iv'e been doing it this way for about 5 years.
so yes you can do big water changes (only when needed) you can do two a week,
but you MUST make sure the parameters are the same to keep stability in check,
you will always see i advise cases differently this is needed at the time and problems faced you cant jump in and tell them to do big water changes this can be disastrous but the next case i may well tell them to do that. I always advise on my own experiences and knowledge and know i'm not going to kill your shrimp that's most important.
hope iv'e answered some of your questions

richiep Excellent post. Very informative.

Especially interesting point about drawing from top vs bottom. Is this mitigated with good circulation?

Should water for parameter testing be drawn from the bottom?

I formerly had HOB and sponge in this tank. Removed HOB today.

richiep Excellent post. Very informative.

Especially interesting point about drawing from top vs bottom. Is this mitigated with good circulation?

Should water for parameter testing be drawn from the bottom?

I formerly had HOB and sponge in this tank. Removed HOB today.
I have air stones in all my tanks like posted and with good circulation this helps with gas off I also have surface movement, with small tanks I think its more important to take from the lower water colum this is where problems first arise and sometimes a clue is given with shrimp searching the upper parts looking for oxygen,

Attachments

• 15921476319089213074556623045311.jpg
    15921476319089213074556623045311.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 15921477299743869779678351456014.jpg
    15921477299743869779678351456014.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 53
I have sponge filters in all my tanks. Does this serve the same purpose? Or are air stones more effective?
Sponge filters are fine I still use them again I've got air stone with them, you've got movement through the tank which is what your looking for

Attachments

• 15921519177388381327804031618366.jpg
    15921519177388381327804031618366.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 48
Next time you are walking around a shop or walking the keyboard window shopping buy some crab cuisine . It’s convenient
I finally have some on its way to me Hopefully my little guys and girls will benefit from it.

A question for all of y'all. I now have Crab Cuisine. As far as I know I still have all 10 of my shrimp. How many of these tiny sticks should I feed on the days I feed them this food? I don't want to over feed but want to be sure I give them enough. With the shape of this bowl and the gravel substrate it is difficult to tell if they have cleaned their plate.

The trouble with those sticks a shrimp can pick one up on their own so I normally put quite a few in so they get some.
In your case give them one each they will eat it

The trouble with those sticks a shrimp can pick one up on their own so I normally put quite a few in so they get some.
In your case give them one each they will eat it
Thank you. I was underfeeding on the days they get this food.

One more question. Do I need to feed something every day?

One more question. Do I need to feed something every day?

I don't know about richiep, but I do. By the way, I recently learned something about feeding shrimp that you might find interesting. If you have bladder snails, crush one and drop it in your shrimp tank. Shrimp just LOOOOVE fresh snail meat.

I don't know about richiep, but I do. By the way, I recently learned something about feeding shrimp that you might find interesting. If you have bladder snails, crush one and drop it in your shrimp tank. Shrimp just LOOOOVE fresh snail meat.
Im guessing it has to be dead? I have Ramshorn all over my shrimp tank and they don't seem to eat them. Or are they?

I do have some bladder/pond snails. I will try this and see what happens. I have been feeding mine something every day but as always I worry about over/under feeding. Kinda like Goldy Locks, I want it to be just right
Im guessing it has to be dead? I have Ramshorn all over my shrimp tank and they don't seem to eat them. Or are they?
I have a few ramshorn and assassin snails in my shrimp bowl. As far as I can tell the shrimp don't mess with the live snails. Since JettsPapa mentioned squashing them I feel sure he is feeding dead ones

I believe so. At least I've never seen them attack a live snail, but they'll immediately swarm a fresh dead one dropped in the tank.

I do because I've so many in the tank
Base your feeding on the intrest shown by your shrimp, so if you drop 10 pellets in and they're on them stright away great, if you do the same tomorrow with no interest then you try every other day, mine always feed but yours may not because of the number and natural food like biofilm
Make sense

I do because I've so many in the tank
Base your feeding on the intrest shown by your shrimp, so if you drop 10 pellets in and they're on them stright away great, if you do the same tomorrow with no interest then you try every other day, mine always feed but yours may not because of the number and natural food like biofilm
Make sense
that makes perfect sense. Thanks bunches for holding my hand throughout this new experience for me.

I've just put broccoli stem in each tank and this is within 2minutes

Attachments

• 20200703_205722.jpg
    20200703_205722.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200703_205557.jpg
    20200703_205557.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200703_205550.jpg
    20200703_205550.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200703_205544.jpg
    20200703_205544.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 58
In post #41 mattgirl you mentioned the food disappears in the gravel. I have tried various glass dish shapes.
The shape of a saucer is not so good at keeping the food on it. What I use now is a coffee jar lids in shrimp tanks AND fry tanks. Upside down the sides are vertical and slope back over the head of any creatures inside. By placing the lid in the tank the gravel stays a lot cleaner. By placing the lid down in the gravel buried to the top you don’t have to see the thing if that is your wish.
To get the food to land in the dish I admit it’s a pain to have to put your hand in the water.

I have been feeding crab cuisine once or twice a week for years. I don’t think I have ever feed 10 pellets to any tank even with 200 shrimp ?
Call me a bad “big hands”it’s just to expensive to feed . With fish in most tanks they will eat it. My 2.5 gallon had until recently 50 odd shrimp. 5 pellets would be a big meal for my little guys.

Now I feel like I under feed ?
Reading how much is suggested I feel bad.

But in truth I still over feed with all other foods and am trying to feed less in total to tanks .

We ordered some yellow neocaridina yesterday.

I need to look through all the glass items I have around the house and find something that will work well and look good in this tiny tank. I have a glass feeding dish in my pleco grow out tank and agree something like this really helps keep the bottom of the tank cleaner. The clear glass almost disappears in the water. I am sure I am bound to have something laying around that would work for my shrimp.

update: I just saw babies in the bowl. They are sooooooo tiny. I spotted 2 of them at the back of the bowl. It magnifies everything in there so I was able to see them clearly. I was beginning to think the shrimp bowl was going to be a failure because the most of the original 10 I've seen at any given time is 5. I am hoping all 10 are alive but i just don't know.

I have to think I've provided them a good home for them to be having babies. I was thrilled to see these tiny creatures in there.

BTW: I found the perfect feeding dish for them. It is a tiny cut glass salt cellar. I have had it for many years and up until now I never had a use for it. In case you don't know what I am talking about check out. It almost disappears in the water but holds the food well.

Top Bottom