I Finally Got My First Saltwater Tank, Any More Tips?

1. KakeHugs

KakeHugs Well Known Member Member

Fuval Sea Evo XIII
    full?d=1527051894.jpg
    I know I need a little more rocks and some more sand but for the most part I love it!
    I paid $180 USD for EVERYTHING (minus the montipora (?) I bought that a week later) which also included extra goodies like a test kit, another piece of rock, food, coral food, ext. The livestock was included as well, two clowns, lawnmower blenny, a couple snails, and a few crabs.
    full?d=1527051894.jpg full?d=1527051894.jpg
    I don't know the name of any of the corals tbh besides the fact I have polyps and mushrooms and the bottom left one stings but that's all I know. Im sure if I did a simple google search I could find out what they are but Im lazy.
    full?d=1527051862.jpg
    full?d=1527051862.jpg
    full?d=1527051862.jpg
    full?d=1527051862.jpg
    full?d=1527051894.jpg
    I also don't have the powerhead plug in yet since Im waiting on another extension cord.
    Theres also like a mini arch way under the rocks, it's like a very shallow U and the fish can actually get under there
    full?d=1527051862.jpg
    Ive been sharing on my instagram but that's mostly freshwater betta people so I don't think they don't really appreciate or understand it lol

My dad used to have a 90g saltwater tank and ever since it broke all he's been wanting for close to the past fifteen years is another saltwater tank so I went behind his back even though he told me no and brought it home :) and now it's my baby :)

2. J

Jesterrace Well Known Member Member

You need to get that Powerhead up and running ASAP, everything in your tank needs that underwater current to survive.

3. OP
    OP
    KakeHugs

Thanks, I realize. Just waiting to grab another extension cord like I said, can't really get it to work without one and I prioritize the other things I have plugged in a tad bit more to unplug and replace. I bought the tank within 12 hours off craigslist and had nothing prepared and now Im on the hunt to get the power head working.

4. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats!! :D That's a lovely tank and some beautiful fish you've got there.

The corals look pretty happy too!:)

First and third pics are a torch and hammer respectively, both part of the euphyllia family.

2nd pic looks like green star polyps... Maybe. Or perhaps something similar. It's hard to tell since they don't look very green but that could just be lighting.

4th is some zoas and 5th are lovely and quite happy looking Rhodactis shrooms. :)

5. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

did this tank come with all the livestock?? its a very nice tank, i plan to saltwater in my future, still getting the whole fish thing down. when i more prepaired and more expirianced im gonna take the plunge

6. Sebastian Perdomo

Sebastian Perdomo Member Member

Verification on the Green Star Polyp in the 2nd picture. It darastically changes color under different lighting, OP is using a lot of white light.

7. Aqua Hands

Aqua Hands Well Known Member Member

It's definitely GSP. That's how mine looks when I use my white light only.

8. Sebastian Perdomo

Sebastian Perdomo Member Member

Have you thought about getting better lighting?

9. OP
    OP
    KakeHugs

Thank you all so much!
    Ill do some research on them and see if I need to move them in the tank for better flow and/or lightening. I was trying to figure them out but like you all notice lightening does seem to change what Im looking at verus online! I just have the stock fluval sea evo light on it for now, I heard it's good enough to do what I want so Im in no rush to change it

10. OP
    OP
    KakeHugs

yes it did! It can with all the livestock, corals included! Besides one frag I bought but you can't really see it anyways. besides the whole cycling process, they're very different and you cant really tank much that you've learned from freshwater and use it in saltwater experience. I wouldnt suggest trying to learn them both at the same time but its worth it!

11. OP
    OP
    KakeHugs

Nah I heard the stock light for the fluval sea evo is good enough for what I want at the moment. I don't even have my own RODI unit yet so lighting isn't a huge matter at the moment.