10 Gallon Tank I finally got a fish!

AltVzn
After a month of waiting and cycling, I'm finally able to get a betta fish!

Went to PetSmart and there were a few good looking ones, but he caught my attention the most. He goes from green to blue to purple depending on lighting and where he is.

His name is, 竜 (ryu), which means dragon. Here he is (and I rearranged the tank too):

363D0A7E-3A05-4F6D-9603-77A4B87430EE.jpeg
99FFE3A4-659B-4CCD-84B7-CE497B43116B.jpeg
9330FA94-1E35-4695-AB26-CC8879F6B1A4.jpeg
Named him that cause he really swims as if he owns the place, and because of his scale like patterns (more like panther spots though).

But I messed up his acclimation real bad... basically equivalent to just chucking him in his new tank.

So far, he's doing great with the snails. He did nip 黒(kuro)'s antennas more than twice though. I'm surprised it's still long, but he's shier now.

He only goes up to the snails (unless it's the antenna) and watches them. Then he leaves and does his own thing; exploring and all that.

I'll examine him some more for his behaviour, and if good, I'm hoping I can get some six pygmy corys in. May have to move one of the snails though.

I think it's a pretty good start, especially the fact that I introduced him real bad.

Thank you to everyone who's been helping me with all my aquarium questions/problems, finally made it to the fish stage! XDDD

Edit: Just a question, so I just bought him today and some of his fins' edges are clear? Is that good or bad? His fins seem ragged but there's actually clear parts there.

Advertisement
Cowardlyslimeball
Congratulations!! He looks kind of like my betta, Josh. The same shiny blue!
(I like his name, too. Kanji. Is it Japanese or Chinese? Very unique!)

AltVzn
Congratulations!! He looks kind of like my betta, Josh. The same shiny blue!
(I like his name, too. Kanji. Is it Japanese or Chinese? Very unique!)
Thank you!

I'm learning Japanese so why not learn Kanji through giving my fish kanji names XDDD

I would like to see you betta too! I was going to get a dumbo halfmoon, but they were 10$ more expensive. But I found 竜 who looked far more healthy looking than any of them. He was cheaper and good looking; so a win win situation XDDD

LJP

Went to PetSmart and there were a few good looking ones, but he caught my attention the most. He goes from green to blue to purple depending on lighting and where he is.

His name is, 竜 (ryu), which means dragon. Here he is (and I rearranged the tank too):
View attachment 745066View attachment 745067View attachment 745068
Named him that cause he really swims as if he owns the place, and because of his scale like patterns (more like panther spots though).

But I messed up his acclimation real bad... basically equivalent to just chucking him in his new tank.

So far, he's doing great with the snails. He did nip 黒(kuro)'s antennas more than twice though. I'm surprised it's still long, but he's shier now.

He only goes up to the snails (unless it's the antenna) and watches them. Then he leaves and does his own thing; exploring and all that.

I'll examine him some more for his behaviour, and if good, I'm hoping I can get some six pygmy corys in. May have to move one of the snails though.

I think it's a pretty good start, especially the fact that I introduced him real bad.

Thank you to everyone who's been helping me with all my aquarium questions/problems, finally made it to the fish stage! XDDD

Edit: Just a question, so I just bought him today and some of his fins' edges are clear? Is that good or bad? His fins seem ragged but there's actually clear parts there.
With the ragged and clear fins part it could be possible he or she has fin rot or is recovering from fin rot, when I had a couple fin nippers in my tank I took them out and the other fishes damaged fins started to regenerate they were white at first and then regained there colour

AggressiveAquatics

View attachment 745066View attachment 745067View attachment 745068

Nice! The only thing I see wrong is that because of his long fins that make long finned batted struggle to swim is that he has been biting at them AcornTheBetta can you see if that’s what it is

Cowardlyslimeball
Thank you!

I'm learning Japanese so why not learn Kanji through giving my fish kanji names XDDD

I would like to see you betta too! I was going to get a dumbo halfmoon, but they were 10$ more expensive. But I found 竜 who looked far more healthy looking than any of them. He was cheaper and good looking; so a win win situation XDDD
Cool! I'm also learning Japanese, as well as ASL, (american sign language)
I was going to get a black orchid, but I found Josh, 12$ cheaper, more healthy, and cuter!
Here is a picture:

IMG_20201120_181135936.jpg

Advertisement
AltVzn
With the ragged and clear fins part it could be possible he or she has fin rot or is recovering from fin rot, when I had a couple fin nippers in my tank I took them out and the other fishes damaged fins started to regenerate they were white at first and then regained there colour
Ahh, hopefully he's recovering from it. I was kind of looking for cures for fin rot in Petsmart just incase, but I couldn't seem to find one.

If ever he does have fin rot right now, I just need to provide clean living space and he'll be fine on his own right?

Nice! The only thing I see wrong is that because of his long fins that make long finned batted struggle to swim is that he has been biting at them AcornTheBetta can you see if that’s what it is
If I understood correctly, he's nipping on his fins because it's hard to swim? He was like that since I got him so I'm not sure.

And I did some research to know that they struggle at water currents caused by filters. So I did some DIY and it's working pretty well, so far, this is how it looks:

03883984-2F57-4256-ABFD-D5E57E8D1DAF.jpeg

Now he's swimming everywhere without struggling as much as before. Actually, he's not showing as much struggling as before I put the plastic thing in

Cool! I'm also learning Japanese, as well as ASL, (american sign language)
I was going to get a black orchid, but I found Josh, 12$ cheaper, more healthy, and cuter!
Here is a picture:
DANG he looks SO GOOD! How long have you had him? He looks huge, I wonder if 竜'll look like that someday lolll One day, hopefully XDD

We should practice together if we can XDDD

Edit: What kind of betta is he?

LJP
Ahh, hopefully he's recovering from it. I was kind of looking for cures for fin rot in Petsmart just incase, but I couldn't seem to find one.

If ever he does have fin rot right now, I just need to provide clean living space and he'll be fine on his own right?
I would not use any antibiotics or treatments because your not sure if it is fin rot and I personally don't think they works very well, but providing a clean living environment should be fine considering he does not look that bad at all for a fish that just came out of a tiny cup. I hope everything goes well for you and your new fish, love the name!

Cowardlyslimeball
DANG he looks SO GOOD! How long have you had him? He looks huge, I wonder if he’ll look like that someday lolll One day, hopefully XDD

We should practice together if we can XDDD

Edit: What kind of betta is he?
Thanks! I've had him for almost a month now, he's a butterfly. I've never noticed home being bigger, he's a little over an inch.
We should practice together haha!

AggressiveAquatics
If I understood correctly, he's nipping on his fins because it's hard to swim? He was like that since I got him so I'm not sure.

And I did some research to know that they struggle at water currents caused by filters. So I did some DIY and it's working pretty well, so far, this is how it looks:
View attachment 745073

Now he's swimming everywhere without struggling as much as before. Actually, he's not showing as much struggling as before I put the plastic thing in
It’s his long fin genetics that cause the swimming problems because that’s how these were bred to be pretty not so much healthy so it won’t happen now but in a few years he could start having swimming problems

AltVzn
I would not use any antibiotics or treatments because your not sure if it is fin rot and I personally don't think they works very well, but providing a clean living environment should be fine considering he does not look that bad at all for a fish that just came out of a tiny cup. I hope everything goes well for you and your new fish, love the name!
Thank you so much! And yeah, I was just planning to get one incase if things go south (cause of this quarantine, I can't really get things ASAP). But since there was none I'll just provide him healthy water (and some bloodworms XDDD)

I wish you the best as well!

Thanks! I've had him for almost a month now, he's a butterfly. I've never noticed home being bigger, he's a little over an inch.
We should practice together haha!
Ohhh, no wonder why he looks so good! Does he have any tank mates?

I only know BASIC BASIC Japanese though, so, I don't know if I'll be able to put up something as a challenge or something comparable to what you know XD

It’s his long fin genetics that cause the swimming problems because that’s how these were bred to be pretty not so much healthy so it won’t happen now but in a few years he could start having swimming problems
Ahh, I'll just hope he won't (but expect the worst and hope for the best XD)

Advertisement
Cowardlyslimeball
Ohhh, no wonder why he looks so good! Does he have any tank mates?

I only know BASIC BASIC Japanese though, so, I don't know if I'll be able to put up something as a challenge or something comparable to what you know XD
He doesn't have any tanks mates, unless plants count hahaha
Don't worry, I'm a newb too! It's insanely hard!!

AltVzn
He doesn't have any tanks mates, unless plants count hahaha
Don't worry, I'm a newb too! It's insanely hard!!
Ohh, I see I see, makes sense

I know right... only thing keeping me going is anime _(´ཀ`」 ∠):

AcornTheBetta
It looks like biting or rot... BettasAreSuperior

AltVzn
Hopefully it breaks back sooon ^^

BettasAreSuperior
Either it's nothing to worry about and just his's fins OR it is very mild fin rot. (the 2nd one is my guess.) Like OP said hopefully it goes away soon and the OP said the tank is cycled maybe just some decaying matter.

Advertisement
AltVzn
Either it's nothing to worry about and just his's fins OR it is very mild fin rot. (the 2nd one is my guess.) Like OP said hopefully it goes away soon and the OP said the tank is cycled maybe just some decaying matter.
Just researched fin rot a bit more, and I think my betta doesn't have it (anymore at least). I believe he's on the healing/recovery stage as there are clear visible fins now, UNLESS that is fin rot (?)

Either way, he seems super happy and explorative, I would like to share to you my betta sleeping with my mystery snail:

04759099-DB66-416C-9118-3C5F95FA3006.jpeg
18B04518-4254-4DCB-95AF-6F05DE820AA2.jpeg
Or maybe he's just waiting for the antennas :'v but so far no harm done besides a cm of antenna

FoldedCheese
I LOVE his name and coloring. Good choice

AltVzn

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dch48
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views