I Fell In Love Today - Furcata Blue-eyed Rainbow Fish

Bama

I saw some Furcata Blue-Eyed Rainbow fish (Pseudomugil furcatus) and fell in love!

But I have a 23 gallon tank stocked with 6 zebra danios, 2 red flame dwarf gouramis, 1 small angelfish, 2 netrite snails, and a clown pleco. I think that would be considered fully stocked?

What if I returned the zebra danios to the LFS? Would that work? How many of the rainbows could I add?

If it wouldn't work, I might have to start a new tank, lol.

Cheesecake

I'd just start a new tank, if you can.

Bama

Sadly, I can't start another tank. Husband would not be pleased. Plus, it's the first time I've seen them available and am afraid they'll be gone soon.

jjohnwm

Far be it from me to tell anyone not to get another tank...but don't make the mistake of buying fish without having their accommodations well planned ahead of time. It's easy to spot something irresistible in a store, and then to convince yourself that you need to bring them home right away before someone else snaps them up. If doing so involves overcrowding an existing tank or putting the new arrivals into a tank that is "raw" and not properly cycled, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Fish need what they need, and saying they'll be "just fine" while you rush to throw something together for them rarely works out well.

This is a great excuse to set up a quarantine tank and get it properly cycled for future "emergencies". If the store got them in this time, they will probably be able to get more of the same species for you later when you are prepared.

Bama

so it sounds like rehoming the zebra danios would not be an option?

86 ssinit

I’d say these guys are tiny/ small waste load. I’d think with the right filtration you could add 10 to that tank.
A24DC898-688A-450B-9DB3-8CD4678AD1E8.jpeg

Bama

I’d say these guys are tiny/ small waste load. I’d think with the right filtration you could add 10 to that tank.
A24DC898-688A-450B-9DB3-8CD4678AD1E8.jpeg

Now to catch the zebra danios! Wish me luck!

86 ssinit

They should be fine with the danios. Probably school together.

kallililly1973

I would probably consider returning the angel and the clown pleco and replace him with a rubber lip they are much more personable ( how often do u see your clown pleco? I have one and the only time I see em is when I look behind the sponge filter he lives his entire life there aside from once in a great while when it’s dark he will be on the driftwood) it’s most likely going to outgrow the 23.

Bama

I would probably consider returning the angel and the clown pleco and replace him with a rubber lip they are much more personable ( how often do u see your clown pleco? I have one and the only time I see em is when I look behind the sponge filter he lives his entire life there aside from once in a great while when it’s dark he will be on the driftwood) it’s most likely going to outgrow the 23.
You're totally right about the clown pleco. I've seen him once or twice. How he can hide so well is a mystery! Think I might try to catch him next water change.
Angel is still small but when he gets bigger, I'll be returning him to fish store, although I'll miss him. Dwarf gouramis are doing fine but I still worry about the virus they are prone to get. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks for advice!

kallililly1973

You're totally right about the clown pleco. I've seen him once or twice. How he can hide so well is a mystery! Think I might try to catch him next water change.
Angel is still small but when he gets bigger, I'll be returning him to fish store, although I'll miss him. Dwarf gouramis are doing fine but I still worry about the virus they are prone to get. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks for advice!
That’s why I suggested returning the angel as well cuz I know I wouldn’t be able to bring something back once I got attached to it

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SterSter
Replies
Views
Dotrenrew
Replies
Views
Jasyan
Replies