I feel soooo bad

1. redlessi Well Known Member Member

My initial plan was to put something in my 72 gallon for natural birth control and after transferring all of my fish to it I could not bring myself to add something that would eat some of the babies. So, I added the 2 bolivian rams to my 35 gallon instead. I also added 1 angel and 1 dwarf gourami, 2 panda cories and 3 ottos over a period of a month or two. This evening I put 2 babies to see if I could handle adding something to the big tank as planned. Now I feel so bad because they are now stalking them, the fry are hiding almost under the gravel. I cant even get them out. This is horrible and I feel really bad about it. Now I know the answer to my initial plan...............

Sorry for the long post.

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry it didn't go well! Are you still trying to get them or is it too late?

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm sorry Reds, I'm the same way.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Red. I know it isn't easy. Maybe it would be best if you just walked away from the tank and let nature take it's course. :) You did mean for the babies to be feeder fish correct? (if I read your post correctly).
    Ken

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I know your feelings!!!!!
    I did the same with some of my con fry...but, months later, I still have them all ....its not fun to watch :( good luck in whatever you decide!

6. redlessi Well Known Member Member

When I came downstairs this morning and did my head count to my surprise they were still in there. I was able to get them out and I returned them to the big tank. I guess I will have to run another add on craigslist to give some away.

Yes Ken but I couldnt go thru with it.

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:;hug2i feel it with you :)
    I gave up after that last attempt..they survive on their own anyhoo...and the hunt was hard as heck ...

8. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Redlessi, nature is cruel. It is totally natural for the big fish to eat the little fish. It's just very difficult to watch it happen.

Back in the '80s when I had a saltwater tank I had a Lionfish. Origionally I was feeding him feeder goldfish, but I had to train him to eat frozen brine shrimp. It was just to difficult to put that little feeder fish in the tank and watch him get eaten. At least they got eaten in one gulp and didn't appear to suffer, but it was still sad.

9. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

Hehe, its a good thing you don't have puffers. The chomp-chomp-chomp of their beaks eating a fish is pretty graphic and messy.

10. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

I know how you feel :( The first times it was brutal (in my case) but then i just dumped the fry in the tank and leave. Occasionally i find like 1 baby in there, but not anymore.

This might sound bad, but i'd rather have my own fish eat the babies than taking them to a place where i dont know how they'll end up... its easier on me i guess.

LOL at jgon :;laughing

11. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Reds, don't be hard on yourself. You didn't know that you were going to react like this and it's fine that you did. Every person is different. Some can feed live food and others can't. I can feed live food and I do enjoy watching the hunt. However, my mother can't stand the thought of me feeding my JD's live food.

The most important thing to remember is your fish don't have to have the live food, so you're not impacting their health if you choose not to do it.

I'm sure you'll be able to find loving homes for the fry. And this was an important experience for you with fishkeeping. Just don't bring home a fish that needs live food to be healthy;):;hug2

12. Shadowbeam Member Member

Aww Red I'd be the same, I don't think I'd ever even attempt because I just couldn't bear it. But don't feel bad about it like everyone has said, different people will always react different ways xx

13. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I feed my Oscars live nightcrawlers all the time... I do not remove fry from my guppy tank, I let them eat the fry since I don't want an overpopulation problem. I also do not remove my Con fry from my 150...I let the other cichlids eat them. My mom calls me cruel, but it's in the nature of the fish - plus the live food is a free (and healthy) meal!

14. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I too thought that if I left the pregnant guppies in the main tank that nature would take care of the babies but to my surprise I still have a bijillion babies. Not to say that some arent eaten but they are everywhere, they dont even hide.

15. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Mine, either. Maybe we're aquascaping a little too well;)

16. redlessi Well Known Member Member

:;laughing:;laughing I doubt if thats my problem. I even took away a lot of the plants that I had for them to hide in the big tank. I also put 3 juvie guppies in the 35 gal to add some color/activity but once I put the angle and dg they looked petrified, so of course I move them back to the big tank also. What can I add to the 35 for the middle/top with some color that wont be scared or a target for the others?

Thanks much

17. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Platys:;dk They're a little calmer than the guppies.