I Feel So Bad, Unexpected Fry, Help!!

Fljoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok so I’m new to keeping fish. I must have gotten a black mollie last weekend that was pregnant. I just finished a water change and noticed a baby hanging out in the gravel! I’m not prepared to deal with babies yet. Do people let nature take its course or is that inhuman?

gandalf1420

Reaction score
You can take them out and put them in a breeder box, it's like 5 bucks at a box store, or yeah, let it take its course. It's the way it is in the wild.

OP
Fljoe

Fljoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
gandalf1420 said:
You can take them out and put them in a breeder box, it's like 5 bucks at a box store, or yeah, let it take its course. It's the way it is in the wild.
I will definitely pay attention for future fry. Do people let nature take its course? As a new fish keeper I wasn’t sure if that was frowned upon. Although I would rather raise them and give them away.

Jimmie93

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's better to just leave them so the population doesn't explode most of the time a few will survive out of the batch if you have good hiding spots like moss.

OP
Fljoe

Fljoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jimmie93 said:
It's better to just leave them so the population doesn't explode most of the time a few will survive out of the batch if you have good hiding spots like moss.
Ok! That makes me feel better.

OP
Fljoe

Fljoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ridge Chambers said:
They make great snacks for bigger fish :)
So your saying I’m not a bad fish keeper for letting them get eaten? I think 2 made it so far. But I’ve only got black mollies and black neon Tetra in the tank. Once it cycles I will add a couple angles and some bottom dwellers.

Jimmie93

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fljoe said:
So your saying I’m not a bad fish keeper for letting them get eaten? I think 2 made it so far. But I’ve only got black mollies and black neon Tetra in the tank. Once it cycles I will add a couple angles and some bottom dwellers.
The tank not being cycled is a bigger issue then them being eaten you should never add fish to a non cycled aquarium they probably have a better chance of dying over it then getting eaten.

OP
Fljoe

Fljoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jimmie93 said:
The tank not being cycled is a bigger issue then them being eaten you should never add fish to a non cycled aquarium they probably have a better chance of dying over it then getting eaten.
I didn’t learn about the cycle process until after Petsmart said I was good to go. I wish I could do it over again. But any future tanks will be cycled with no fish.

Cherie G

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Fljoe said:
Heck no! These things happen and as someone said they do provide food for other fish in your tank. I mean the prepared fish food, like flakes and pellets and stuff all probably have fish as one of the ingredients so look at it like you just cut out the middle man :). I know baby fish are cute as all get out, I would have a hard time too with it too but if any do survive they are the strongest and the smartest most likely.

Jimmie93

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fljoe said:
I didn’t learn about the cycle process until after Petsmart said I was good to go. I wish I could do it over again. But any future tanks will be cycled with no fish.
Just do a lot of water changes probably 30 percent every 2-3 days and you should be good. And test the water daily if you have nitrate test kits.

OP
Fljoe

Fljoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cherie G said:
Heck no! These things happen and as someone said they do provide food for other fish in your tank. I mean the prepared fish food, like flakes and pellets and stuff all probably have fish as one of the ingredients so look at it like you just cut out the middle man :). I know baby fish are cute as all get out, I would have a hard time too with it too but if any do survive they are the strongest and the smartest most likely.
Thank yo so much!

Jimmie93 said:
Just do a lot of water changes probably 30 percent every 2-3 days and you should be good. And test the water daily if you have nitrate test kits.
I have been testing water every day since I learned about the cycle. No2 and No3 is always 0. Ammonia is holding at .25. I did a WC on Thursday when ammonia spiked at 2.0. And did another one today, ammonia was still at .25 and No2 and No3 was still 0

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Get some Seachem Prime, itll render the ammonia and such harmless under a certain amount. Dose every day. 50% water changes when ammonia reaches 0.5
No worries, petsmart gave me bad info when I first started too. I was in your shoes.

If you wanna keep some fry, I suggest getting some hornwort. You can simply float it or tie a few stems to a suction cup to anchor it. It doesn't do as well planted as it doesn't have roots and anything under substrate tends to rot. Its bushy and dense, great for protecting fry. Ive got platy fry that have lived through danios and a gouramI with hornwort

OP
Fljoe

Fljoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MissNoodle said:
Get some Seachem Prime, itll render the ammonia and such harmless under a certain amount. Dose every day. 50% water changes when ammonia reaches 0.5
No worries, petsmart gave me bad info when I first started too. I was in your shoes.

If you wanna keep some fry, I suggest getting some hornwort. You can simply float it or tie a few stems to a suction cup to anchor it. It doesn't do as well planted as it doesn't have roots and anything under substrate tends to rot. Its bushy and dense, great for protecting fry. Ive got platy fry that have lived through danios and a gouramI with hornwort
I have been using prime during WC. Your saying to dose with prime everyday without a WC?

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
You can, yes. I usually do every 48h myself if I have an ammonia spike.

OP
Fljoe

Fljoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MissNoodle said:
You can, yes. I usually do every 48h myself if I have an ammonia spike.
Ive only had one ammonia spike. That was this Thursday and I did a 25% water change. Otherwise ammonia always tested at .25 no2 and No3 is always 0.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Because you're still cycling you should dose at least every 48 hours. Your No3 needs to grow, since that's the end of the cycle.

First ammonia creates no2, which breaks down into no3.

OP
Fljoe

Fljoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MissNoodle said:
Because you're still cycling you should dose at least every 48 hours. Your No3 needs to grow, since that's the end of the cycle.

First ammonia creates no2, which breaks down into no3.
Do I treat with prime for the entire 55 gallons when not doing a WC?

OP
Fljoe

Fljoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MissNoodle said:
I usually do, every 48hrs. Dose for the full tank.
Sorry for the delay, I went to sleep. I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

New Threads