I Feel Silly, But Are These Girl Guppies?

Vengified

Reaction score
My wife went and picked up some female guppies, to go with our boys, as they have been getting nippy, and the Petco has them separated (supposedly) so my wife picked out a few. Came home with the ones in picture below. Two I am positive are female, by their round fins, and gravid spots, but the two in question, look nearly identical to one of the boys we already have. So, ya, simple question, but I wanna know if I need to take these two back.

In the last picture that has a red arrow, down and to the left is one that's obviously a girl. As well as the picture with the two circled.

20180507_104846_009_01.jpg

20180507_105346_027_01.jpg

20180507_105412.jpg

20180507_112338.jpg

20180507_112514.jpg

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Vengified said:
My wife went and picked up some female guppies, to go with our boys, as they have been getting nippy, and the Petco has them separated (supposedly) so my wife picked out a few. Came home with the ones in picture below. Two I am positive are female, by their round fins, and gravid spots, but the two in question, look nearly identical to one of the boys we already have. So, ya, simple question, but I wanna know if I need to take these two back.

In the last picture that has a red arrow, down and to the left is one that's obviously a girl. As well as the picture with the two circled.
So you are looking at the right things. Males will have a long and pointed analfin, females will have triangular. Females also have gravid spots. Also the dorsal fins on males tend to be longer (varies between each type of guppy though).

The two you curcled are both male. The third guppy in that picture is female though (she also appears in your other picture). However she is the only female i see, so she will be chased a lot by the males.
Ideally you want either a gender only tank (preferred so you dont have lots of fry) or at least twice as many females as males.

Vengified

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've only been fishkeeping for a couple months, and just had the original boys I got, plus another set of boys after it was cycled. But the last month I've been seeing nipping, and had to quarantine one male, as he was really suffering, and developed some sort of infection or fungus. Been treating him, but I'm not sure hes gonna make it. Just hoping the girls might settle them. I will get more females than males for sure, and I will be taking these males back myself, and actually choose the females with my own eyes... freaking chain stores...

And the dark brown one that appears in two of the pictures is for sure female, gravid spot visible, fan shape anal, dorsal, and caudal fins that are short. Also proportions appear she will be much larger when fully grown. Plus the dull coloring. I was pretty sure they were boys, but thought just maybe a pet store would know the difference, and maybe they were "special" breeds or something. Lol.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The females usually don't get the big fan tail though, do they? I have all males so maybe I'm just use to looking at them.

Vengified

Reaction score
Maybe we are talking about two different fish? In the last picture, where there is an arrow, and a brown fish to the left and down, that one is a girl. And the picture with two circled, the one not inside the circle is a girl. She has a very small tail, or at least very small compared to my big boy, or either of the other two boys.

Here is one of the 3 bachelors, and one with the dull brown in question (note in the second one, the snakeskin is about the same distance from me as the brown one whom is just above spongebobs house):
20180507_135110.jpg

20180507_135149_004_01.jpg

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was looking at the wrong fish. So sorry. That one is a girl! Glad you cleared that up for me. I thought I had some more learning to do in that area. lol!

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Goldiemom said:
The females usually don't get the big fan tail though, do they? I have all males so maybe I'm just use to looking at them.
They can have all the features of a male's fins with the breeding now, I have plume tail females, ones with lyretail traits, large and small tail females, and most have an extended dorsal.

If you only have one female and several males she may be getting stressed from being around so many males, sometimes if you have a ton of males and one female they ignore her for the most part, however if they realize she is female they will chase her relentlessly in any attempt to mate with her, which potentially kill her from the stress.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldiemom said:
Well, there are also guppy strains where the female do have a fan tail, to be honest...
And there are also guppy strains where the male have a short caudal fin.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom