Question I Feel Like Giving Up

will1221

Valued Member
Reaction score
Everything about my tank has gone down hill the past week and a half brown algae has dominated the tank all over the walls,decor and substrate,my nitrite levels are above toxic along side my nitrate levels and my filter doesn’t seem to be removing the bad things.How can I solve this as my last water change made the tank conditions worse.also my plants are decaying and dying.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your tank is new the brown algae comes along with that. It will go away. Did you test your tap water for nitrite and nitrate? I cant see how a water change could make it worse?? What size tank and filter do you have? Pictures will help also.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That sucks. It's always discouraging when things aren't going right. :/
Do you have fish in there?

If sounds like you might have an excess of nutrients and/or lighting that is feeding the algae and allowing it to grow--and steal resources from your plants.
Do you add fertilizer? How long do you have your lights on?
What kind of substrate do you have?
What is your filter?
Also, what is the water temperature?

I wonder if you have something in your water that allowed the algae to flourish after the change, or if you stirred something up.

Have you been wiping the algae off the plants and other surfaces?

I sort of want to suggest removing your plants, trimming off dead parts if that won't remove too many leaves or parts, and putting them in another tank or container or something, somewhere they can maybe recover while you deal with the algae. That way they can hopefully be saved and not be competing with the algae--but only if it's not too much trouble. I don't know if that'll make them or things worse.

Do you have photos?

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 10 35.7%

Top Bottom