I Feel Like An Idiot...

1. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

So I rehomed my ADF's this weekend and was super excited to set up their tank as a shrimp tank, and changed the substrate from gravel to sand. I couldn't figure out why the sand seems like it won't settle and I kept seeing bubbles come out of the sand. I was so confused why it seemed so different than the sand in my 29 gallon. And then, at 4:09am, I realized that I hadn't rinsed the sand before I put it in the tank. How do I fix this? Are the bubbles coming out of the sand bad for the shrimp? I only have 4 cherry shrimp and a berried ghost shrimp in there, should I take them out and rinse the sand in a bucket and start all over? There's also sand floating at the top of the water and some stuck to the sponge filter. Should I get those out of the tank or try to get it to settle?

2. leelew32

leelew32 Initiate Member

Do u know the make of sand used. Sand is generally Inert so you should be ok. I did exactly the same mistake when I changed to sand. It was a bit cloudy but nothing a few good water changes would fix

3. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Just give it a few hours to settle and run the filter. You can leave the shrimp in too.

4. OP
    OP
    R

It's the National Geographic sand from Petsmart. Lol good to know I'm not the only one to make this mistake! Surprisingly it's not cloudy although I kinda wish it had been when I was filling up the tank so maybe then I would have realized I had forgotten to rinse it lol

5. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

I rinsed mine about three times before adding it to the tank and my water still went black, so yes many people have this issue :D let us know if it clears

6. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

regular sand is pretty hard to completely clean , unless your willing to spend several hours rining it.

I rinse mine almost in tell it's clear and then add to my aquarium it still gets little cloudy but within 24 hours it has all cleared up.

7. OP
    OP
    R

So most of the sand has settled but there's still sand on the bottom that is literally in balls and still a lot of oxygen bubbles sitting on the surface of the sand. I've tried packing it down with a mason jar and stirring up the sand (which my shrimp hated ). Is this just something that will resolve itself in time? It's been in there like this for over 4 days now.

8. leelew32

leelew32 Initiate Member

Could you show me a picture it would really help. I'd be inclined to turn off all filters flatten it all out then poke it with a chopstick to get as much air out as possible. Let it settle and restart filter.

9. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

I personally would try and fix it as much as i could.

10. Fishpuns

Fishpuns Member Member

It will resolve itself in time. I have the Nat Geo sand, it's very course and lightweight, and does actually hold air and float/clump at first. Mine was settled in a few days, stirring it will help.

11. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

Agreed with above I used the nat geo sand the first time I decided to start using sand. It will stay suspended for a while in litttle clumps at the surface for a while. I think it took about a week or so for all the clumps to finally settle.

12. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

I've had sand do that before myself. Looks tacky for a while but the bubbles will come up eventually and once they stop the sand will settle out pretty quickly as well.