I Feel Like An Idiot...

1. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

So I rehomed my ADF's this weekend and was super excited to set up their tank as a shrimp tank, and changed the substrate from gravel to sand. I couldn't figure out why the sand seems like it won't settle and I kept seeing bubbles come out of the sand. I was so confused why it seemed so different than the sand in my 29 gallon. And then, at 4:09am, I realized that I hadn't rinsed the sand before I put it in the tank. How do I fix this? Are the bubbles coming out of the sand bad for the shrimp? I only have 4 cherry shrimp and a berried ghost shrimp in there, should I take them out and rinse the sand in a bucket and start all over? There's also sand floating at the top of the water and some stuck to the sponge filter. Should I get those out of the tank or try to get it to settle?
  2. leelew32 Initiate Member

Do u know the make of sand used. Sand is generally Inert so you should be ok. I did exactly the same mistake when I changed to sand. It was a bit cloudy but nothing a few good water changes would fix

3. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Just give it a few hours to settle and run the filter. You can leave the shrimp in too.
  4. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

It's the National Geographic sand from Petsmart. Lol good to know I'm not the only one to make this mistake! Surprisingly it's not cloudy although I kinda wish it had been when I was filling up the tank so maybe then I would have realized I had forgotten to rinse it lol

5. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

I rinsed mine about three times before adding it to the tank and my water still went black, so yes many people have this issue :D let us know if it clears
  6. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

regular sand is pretty hard to completely clean , unless your willing to spend several hours rining it.

I rinse mine almost in tell it's clear and then add to my aquarium it still gets little cloudy but within 24 hours it has all cleared up.
  7. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

So most of the sand has settled but there's still sand on the bottom that is literally in balls and still a lot of oxygen bubbles sitting on the surface of the sand. I've tried packing it down with a mason jar and stirring up the sand (which my shrimp hated ). Is this just something that will resolve itself in time? It's been in there like this for over 4 days now.

8. leelew32 Initiate Member

Could you show me a picture it would really help. I'd be inclined to turn off all filters flatten it all out then poke it with a chopstick to get as much air out as possible. Let it settle and restart filter.
  9. smee82 Well Known Member Member

I personally would try and fix it as much as i could.
  10. Fishpuns Member Member

It will resolve itself in time. I have the Nat Geo sand, it's very course and lightweight, and does actually hold air and float/clump at first. Mine was settled in a few days, stirring it will help.

11. Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

Agreed with above I used the nat geo sand the first time I decided to start using sand. It will stay suspended for a while in litttle clumps at the surface for a while. I think it took about a week or so for all the clumps to finally settle.
  12. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

I've had sand do that before myself. Looks tacky for a while but the bubbles will come up eventually and once they stop the sand will settle out pretty quickly as well.