I feel horrible ((need to vent))

1. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

So just need to vent to get it off my chest. I feel absolutely horrible.

This mornings normal routine was thrown off by my 3 year old throwing a tantrum after feeding her fish because I wouldn't let her give the fish anymore food. Well I turn my filter off when I do it or it throws food almost straight to the bottom when it gets in the outflow. Well because of this tantrum I TOTALLY forgot to turn the power strip back on. I feel horrible. I ran water tests and Ammonia is up a little ((like somewhere between 0 and .25)) as are nitrites (somewhere between the first and second thing on the API master kit))... Only really noticed because went in to check on the ghost shrimp ((because this morning he looked like he was going to molt and still does)) and wondered why their light wasn't on, and then noticed the pinkish almost red gills on 2 of the glofish ((it's amazing how fast you notice those when you have already had to deal with it once))....

I have dosed with prime and extra stability, I know they will be ok but still feel horrible.

2. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

did you test your ammonia before you forgot? it's possible it was already at that level.

I know what you mean about the filter shooting food everywhere.

3. OP
    OP
    peregrine

Last test was yesterday afternoon and was 0,0,20ish. I'm paranoid because I had an issue a few weeks ago so have been testing water every other day.. Guess for the next few days it will be back to every day...

4. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

is your tank cycled? I don't think you have to worry so badly if your tank is already cycled.

5. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

I sort of did the same thing on Sunday. I turned the filter off to do my weekly water change, and 5 hours later I was laying on the couch staring at the tank when it dawned on me that I never plugged it back in. Whoops!

6. K

Kwig Well Known Member Member

I think my toddler was in my room unsupervised (thanks to his dad -_-) because I found the light, heater, and filter had been turned off. The light is on a timer, I checked when the timer thought the current time was and it was like 8 pm from the prior night. All of these are plugged into a power strip under my bed that, wouldn't you believe it, was shut off. Overnight.
    Good thing it was water change day anyway, but I did a huge water change and dosed with TSS+ then and the day after tomorrow be safe. Magically, the tank is fine.

7. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

. Ah well. Sorry. Errors happen.

8. scottishduck

scottishduck Valued Member Member

I'm honestly considering a float switch connected to my heaters and filter so that this doesn't happen to me. Auto-off and auto-on during the water change... if only I could get the water to change itself too... :p

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It won't hurt the fish to have to chase after their food. In the wild, the food doesn't stay in one spot, and it might be good for them to have to go after their food like they would in the wild :)

10. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Such a thing exists??

11. scottishduck

scottishduck Valued Member Member

I mean... you just have to plug your equipment into a float switch (through a relay).

More details: Put your float switch into a relay, connect the relay through an extension cord and plug your equipment into the extension cord... let me find the YouTube...

EDIT: boom
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdIT8peLndI

12. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry to hear that but honestly, if your tank is cycled, just having the power off for a few hours will not give you a spike in ammonia.
    I've had mine off ( due to weather ) for 2 days once and it tested the same as if the power never went off.
    I suspect something else is going on and maybe you missed it the first test????

13. OP
    OP
    peregrine

Nah when i mean a spike. It was litterally barely not yellow. And i know i woildnt want to swim in my waste. And tested water. All gone now.

And fishies are really happy. Never fed them brine shrimp before. So got some as an "im sorry" and OMG i have never seen all the fish attack food with such gusto.. usually its just one specific one that eats that way. And of course he ate the most and looks like hes pregnant and still going after the few tiny scraps floating in the water