I feel guilty about having my platy in a breeder box :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a large netted breeder box that I broke a few shelves off on to make it even roomier. I put it in the tank sideways so the fish could swim in and out of it for a few days and get used to having it there, and once she (my platy) was in there solo I gently turned it upright trapping her in there. She didn't panic or anything like last time I tried catching her and putting her in there, which was good.
I put a few little plants in there as well to make it seem more interesting for her I guess?
Its been a day now, and I am feeling pretty guilty. All the other fish are happily swimming around and she is just sorta hovering in there, moving around once and awhile. The male keeps trying to get inside and its just so sad. :-[
How do I know if she is upset? She definitely looks bored, can that lead to stress?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i'd be concerned if she was thrashing or acting erratic but as long as she's eating and has fresh water circulating she'll be fine.

If you are keeping a close eye on the tank just wait till she's actually giving birth to stick her in there, that's what i've done with mine.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Does she look upset?
Believe it or not, fish show expression, through their eyes and their behaviour.

That said, I wouldn't feel too bad, we often have to put dogs/cats in cages for their own good (e.g. recovering from surgery, weening boxes), but as long it's temporary, she'll thank you in the long run. And she might even be grateful to be away from harassing males

Just my 2c...

OP
tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wanted to wait, the thing is I have this white skirt tetra that seemed to LOVE it in there. He was always in there! I had it up for almost 4 days before I found a time where she and him were in there, and I gently chased him out and got her. I figured if I had waited longer, I might not get another chance.
She is over three weeks now I figure, I got her a month or so ago and I know I saw them doing their thing the first day in the tank. And her gravid spot is fairly dark, it is definitely visible. Plus, the male keeps on after her, I have heard when there is only just 1 male and 1 female sometimes the male will harass the female to death? I figured since she is close I should maybe keep her in there for a few days before her time..?

I dunno, this is my first time, I am a total newbie, I am definitely excited and hope some of the fry live! I just want to make sure she is doing ok, I know last time I tried to put her in there I had to chase her with the net and she was not happy for an hour in there, thrashing around and ramming the net. I let her go after that, but this time she is quite calm. Thats good I guess....

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds good to me, but best to wait for our breeding experts to offer some advice.

From what I've read though, 1 male to 3 females seems to be the recommended mix to avoid harassment.

OP
tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know, I want to get some more, I am on a budget right now though and currently it all goes towards supplies and such. They have a good clean tank with good food so thats whats important to me at the moment.
Usually the male and female do okay from what I have observed, She usually holds her own and he is quite timid for a male. I am only concerned now because she is so pregnant, I don't know if she has the same spunk when shes full of babies.

I put another plant ontop of the box so some of the leaves drape down into the box, I think she likes it

So the main signs of stress are when they act erratic?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
erratic behaviour, solitary, it all depends on the fish.

signs of stress are generally anything outside the normal behaviour of the individual fish. But given yours is female, pregnancy may induce other abnormal behaviour

OP
tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmm...... I'll keep an eye on her then, she seems to really like that plant ontop of the box so I'm pretty relieved shes responding

Thanks for the advice guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom